Rise of the Screens

RTSTdrive

By chance, I happened to see FB XD40 7315 in service today with the digital screens and automated announcements system from Strategic Mapping. Hasty video capture followed suit.

I'm unsure of whether or not the rest of the XD40s assigned to the the B46 SBS have them as well but this is certainly a first.

Same here. It's a shame this didn't show any transfer info although I suppose it maybe added later on. Also I didn't really think of using BusTime info to see when the next connecting buses come in.

Hopefully when the Clever Devices pilot on the S79 Select comes out, we might be able to see said features (and in addition we may very likely hear the same woman who does the "Please Exit Through The Rear Door" and other PSAs for the stop/transfer announcements)

Same here. It's a shame this didn't show any transfer info although I suppose it maybe added later on. Also I didn't really think of using BusTime info to see when the next connecting buses come in.

Hopefully when the Clever Devices pilot on the S79 Select comes out, we might be able to see said features (and in addition we may very likely hear the same woman who does the "Please Exit Through The Rear Door" and other PSAs for the stop/transfer announcements)

4268 for the S79 already has it if you want to see how it works. No one caught it yet.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I was hoping they used they same people who do the subway announcements to do the bus automated announcements.... nice catch, glad to see NYC Buses finally having automated announcements!

I speculate (or at least anticipate) that Sara Weaver would be the sole VA who would do the stop/xfer announcements as she did with the other PSAs on buses built after the 2008-10 Orion NG Hybrids.

She was also the voice of the Clever Device demo on the M34/A Select as well as for NJT Bus and NICE so I hope her voice comes forward once more just for the sake of uniformity

By chance, I happened to see FB XD40 7315 in service today with the digital screens and automated announcements system from Strategic Mapping. Hasty video capture followed suit.

I'm unsure of whether or not the rest of the XD40s assigned to the the B46 SBS have them as well but this is certainly a first.

This is the first time the MTA has had interior destination signs and automatic announcements?(not including MTA Long Island Bus) 

This is the first time the MTA has had interior destination signs and automatic announcements?(not including MTA Long Island Bus)

Actually the M34/A SBS (and the preceding M34/16) demoed the Clever Devices smart bus system similar to the one NJT and NICE uses at around 2009-2010

4268 for the S79 already has it if you want to see how it works. No one caught it yet.

For those looking for 4268, it currently does one round trip in the morning on the s79. It's the 6:28am out of the mall and 7:51am out of 86 Street.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Nice, but seems a bit overkill.  Could have easily gotten away with using the current LED only used for "Stop Requested" and hooked into the speakers for audio.  Can see it on M-routes, especially with tourists, but for people who regularly use the routes, it will just be ignored.  BESIDES, if everyone walks around like a zombie in their own little world via the earbuds, and 15 people yank the stop cord one after another because of not paying attention right now, what difference does having those screens make?  (Those same people can't even look at the "Stop Requested" LED screen to see it's been activated.)

I will say that those *could* possibly be useful in your system purely for transfer points, especially with multiple routes/subway locations.

Those screens should actually be provided under Outfront's contract (similar to subway touchscreens), and Outfront could sell ads to foot the bills.  But then again, that'd be too easy, since the MTA has a secret cellar FULL of cash.............

Its not a Flatbush unit but I heard that 4253 on the S79 has one installed.

Yup 4253 and 4268 I've seen so far. The NGs have two screens, one on the ceiling by the stop requested and one on the ceiling next to the rear door. Both are facing the back of the bus.

These XD40s only have 1 screen.

Yup 4253 and 4268 I've seen so far. The NGs have two screens, one on the ceiling by the stop requested and one on the ceiling next to the rear door. Both are facing the back of the bus.

The XD40s have 2 screens in the same place, they are front and back. 

Interesting. Are they finally bringing them out for more than just one AM tripper?

I honestly can't wait until someone posts a video of the S79/Bx30 Clever Device screens. Very curious as to how the choice of size dimensions and the positioning of the screens fare against Vianova's and Strategic's.

Based on how the Clever Devices looked when I saw it on the S79 that day, I would prefer that one to be the official one.

4245, 4253, 4268, 4271 are the ones I've seen so far. They're getting around to the fleet.

Archived