•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -
    News

MTA Board Considers Using Platform Doors...

• Please log in to reply
    43 replies to this topic

#1 R10 2952

R10 2952
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPip
    • 993 posts
    • Location36th Street Yard

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:39 AM

platform doors.JPG
    Some members of the MTA board are once again advocating for subway

platform doors.

In the past, the MTA has talked of launching a pilot program to test platform

doors, but the agency has never followed through.

Board members we spoke to say platform doors, while costly, would protect

subway riders and help ease overcrowding.

"Those platform doors, which are in use in London, in use in Paris and in use

in many other cities, & which have had the effect, the direct effect, of limiting overcrowding," said board member Charles Moerdler.

Read more: Source

Edited by Harry, 05 January 2017 - 10:28 AM.
    Modified for home page...

REVENUE INACTIVE.

#2 pringle5095

pringle5095
    • Pip
    • 139 posts
    • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:49 AM

I see the platform doors as more of a safety measure than an anti crowd measure because the doors could prevent people from falling onto the traCks at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 P3F

P3F
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,094 posts
    • LocationBroken Land

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:05 AM

If stations like Brooklyn Bridge and 14 Street are overcrowded, they have the options of

a) reopening the side platforms

and

b) reopening Worth and/or 18th Streets.

Both of which would be better long-term investments than platform screen doors.

#4 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 26,970 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY & New York, NY

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:09 AM

They should be working on things like better on-time performance.  If I had a nickel for every time the (1) (2) (3) or (4) (5) (6) was delayed....  <_< Seems like every other day either or both of the aforementioned lines have some sort of signal problem, and thus you'll see (5) trains running via the 7th Avenue line.  Invest that money into maintaining the infrastructure.  I don't want my taxpayer dollars going toward this nonsense.  The platforms are overcrowded because they aren't providing enough damn trains.

During the rush you have to let several trains pass before you can get on and ride like a human being, otherwise, be prepared to be smashed in like a sardine can.  I simply refuse to ride like some savage.  It's ridiculous that it can take up to 30 minutes to go three three express stops.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8, 15 November 2016 - 12:04 PM.

BxM1-RIVERDALE1_zpsb9eeb015.gif

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN - BUY "MADE IN USA" PRODUCTS

#5 biGC323232

biGC323232
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPip
    • 908 posts
    • LocationEither NJ/NY

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:39 AM

They should be working on things like better on-time performance.  If I had a nickel for every time the (1) (2) (3) or (4) (5) (6) was delayed....  <_< Seems like every other day either or both of the aforementioned lines have some sort of signal problem, and thus you'll see (5) trains running via the 7th Avenue line.  Invest that money into maintaining the infrastructure.  I don't want my taxpayer dollars going toward this nonsense.  The platforms are overcrowded because they aren't provided enough damn trains.

During the rush you have to let several trains pass before you can get on and ride like a human being, otherwise, be prepared to be smashed in like a sardine can.  I simply refuse to ride like some savage.  It's ridiculous that it can take up to 30 minutes to go three three express stops.  

You know the ole saying VG8...There either isn't enough cars or the line is already at max.. :D

3toNewLotsAv_zps42a4cdb7.gif

(3) 7av Exp/Eastern Pkwy Lcl                                                                                                             Thanks Lance

#6 Around the Horn

Around the Horn
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 5,754 posts
    • LocationAcross the Verrazano from Shaolin Land...

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:41 AM

They should be working on things like better on-time performance.  If I had a nickel for every time the (1) (2) (3) or (4) (5) (6) was delayed....  <_< Seems like every other day either or both of the aforementioned lines have some sort of signal problem, and thus you'll see (5) trains running via the 7th Avenue line.  

CBTC with a backup signal system would fix that, but no the (7) needs it first... <_< 

"Most surely in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alteration of night and day, and the ships that run in the sea with that which profits men, and the changing of the winds and clouds made subservient between the heavens and the earth, there are signs for a people who understand"

"We can disagree and still love each other unless your disagreement is rooted in oppression and denial of my right to exist." James Baldwin

M%2096%20St_zps56dx2ako.gif

"Mercury melted when the Sun rose,The storm struck when the heart sighed "I can't live without someone from the heart"-Dil Se

#7 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 26,970 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:03 PM

CBTC with a backup signal system would fix that, but no the (7) needs it first... <_< 

The (7) to a certain degree does need it, but the crowding on the (7) could be alleviated if they marketed the LIRR more and the express buses.  The (MTA) created the (7) problem and on top of that, the neighborhoods served by the (7) have been yelling to no end.  If they yelled like that about the alternatives available to some communities, who knows what they would've received by now.

You know the ole saying VG8...There either isn't enough cars or the line is already at max.. :D

Well it seems like during the rush they just can't keep up with the demand, and the situation is worsening every year.  I try to avoid using the subways where possible and opt for Metro-North when traveling within the city, but some of my trips involve going to the Upper East or Upper West Side where the subway is the only real option. I could take the (B) in some cases, but that line too has ridiculous waits during the rush.  It used to be that people would pass up the (B) for the (D) but now people take anything that comes because you don't know when the next one will come even though there's supposed to be one every 10 minutes (roughly).  Waiting almost 20 minutes during rush hour for one train is just insane.  I'll never understand how you can see 5 or 6 (F) trains before one (B) or (D) train comes.  

#8 biGC323232

biGC323232
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPip
    • 908 posts
    • LocationEither NJ/NY

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:30 PM

The (7) to a certain degree does need it, but the crowding on the (7) could be alleviated if they marketed the LIRR more and the express buses.  The (MTA) created the (7) problem and on top of that, the neighborhoods served by the (7) have been yelling to no end.  If they yelled like that about the alternatives available to some communities, who knows what they would've received by now.

Well it seems like during the rush they just can't keep up with the demand, and the situation is worsening every year.  I try to avoid using the subways where possible and opt for Metro-North when traveling within the city, but some of my trips involve going to the Upper East or Upper West Side where the subway is the only real option. I could take the (B) in some cases, but that line too has ridiculous waits during the rush.  It used to be that people would pass up the (B) for the (D) but now people take anything that comes because you don't know when the next one will come even though there's supposed to be one every 10 minutes (roughly).  Waiting almost 20 minutes during rush hour for one train is just insane.  I'll never understand how you can see 5 or 6 (F) trains before one (B) or (D) train comes.  

I know what you mean....Same with 8av...You get like 4  (E) 's before a  (A)  ©

3toNewLotsAv_zps42a4cdb7.gif

(3) 7av Exp/Eastern Pkwy Lcl                                                                                                             Thanks Lance

#9 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 26,970 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:43 PM

I know what you mean....Same with 8av...You get like 4  (E) 's before a  (A)  ©

It seems like the more the focus on safety, the worse service becomes.  I personally don't think the (MTA) cares (about safety or reliability).  They're just obsessed with liability, so they're looking to mitigate risk more than anything else.

#10 Around the Horn

Around the Horn
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 5,754 posts
    • LocationAcross the Verrazano from Shaolin Land...

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:50 PM

They're just obsessed with liability, so they're looking to mitigate risk more than anything else.

Well, that explains the arcane timers and fumigation rules that slow down service...

"Most surely in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alteration of night and day, and the ships that run in the sea with that which profits men, and the changing of the winds and clouds made subservient between the heavens and the earth, there are signs for a people who understand"

"We can disagree and still love each other unless your disagreement is rooted in oppression and denial of my right to exist." James Baldwin

M%2096%20St_zps56dx2ako.gif

"Mercury melted when the Sun rose,The storm struck when the heart sighed "I can't live without someone from the heart"-Dil Se

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: news