MCI Express Buses Being Retrofitted

Via Garibaldi 8

Easier said then done... One reason is cell phones are now like mini laptops.  I use mine to write e-mails, review documents and so on while I'm on the go.  It's part of my routine while on the express bus, and in my case I'm on the express bus usually over an hour easily, so having charging capabilities while not a "must" is nice to have.  I don't know what field you're in, but I have a white collar job that requires me to answer e-mails in different time zones at all hours.  Perfect example is tomorrow.  I'll be working well past 10 hours, out at a meeting for about 3 hours and traveling for about 3 - 4 hours when all is said and done.  Sometimes the only real place to charge the phone is on the express bus if I don't have time to do so in my office.  

I'm sure QM1 can relate.

Your use of your phone is a legit reason IMO for commuter routes to have ports on the buses.  You are actually using your phone for productivity.  What I'm talking about is the complete opposite user.  I don't think I need to elaborate on that.

Your use of your phone is a legit reason IMO for commuter routes to have ports on the buses.  You are actually using your phone for productivity.  What I'm talking about is the complete opposite user.  I don't think I need to elaborate on that.

I know what you mean.   I think the (MTA) is trying to make the commutes more tolerable given how more delay-prone buses are.

Oh I get the whole necessity thing, but from what I've observed on Locals, there isn't a whole lot of "necessity" by close to 90% of the riders.  I don't see how playing on Fakebook or watching videos are part of being "necessary" during a however long bus commute, since it's probably only a minor fraction of someone's total day.  On most routes within the city, people could be on for maybe 15-20 minutes, more outside into the suburbs.  But even on a regular end-to-end route that I ride, it's only ~45 minutes, and that shouldn't be enough to bring on severe boredom.

On commuter routes that operate during AM/PM Peak, most of those who bury themselves in their phone/tablet/Kindle are doing reading or something similar, but even on a lot of those, there's actually more conversation between passengers.

Part of owning/using that device is being responsible for keeping it operating, and I just don't see how buses somehow "need" to be a mobile charging station even if you spend an hour or two on them in total day travel time.  Even if you unplugged at full charge, waited for a bus 30 minutes, got on and rode 60 minutes, and arrived at your destination, using your phone as a "necessity" should NOT mean you require charging on that bus trip in between.

If you have to use proper time planning with your commute, why can't that same planning be used to keep your phone charged so you can MAKE IT through your commute?

You also have to take into account how every phone isn't the same, my old phone could really last me 30 mins of constant use. How'd you expect me to not to rely on the bus if I knew it had outlets, and it was my only shot of getting my phone to last the whole day. 

You also have to take into account how every phone isn't the same, my old phone could really last me 30 mins of constant use. How'd you expect me to not to rely on the bus if I knew it had outlets, and it was my only shot of getting my phone to last the whole day. 

That's another problem.  A lot of phones have crappy battery lives.  I just came back from a 2 1/2 hr meeting... My phone was half way dead just from checking and writing e-mails.

Easier said then done... One reason is cell phones are now like mini laptops.  I use mine to write e-mails, review documents and so on while I'm on the go.  It's part of my routine while on the express bus, and in my case I'm on the express bus usually over an hour easily, so having charging capabilities while not a "must" is nice to have.  I don't know what field you're in, but I have a white collar job that requires me to answer e-mails in different time zones at all hours.  Perfect example is tomorrow.  I'll be working well past 10 hours, out at a meeting for about 3 hours and traveling for about 3 - 4 hours when all is said and done.  Sometimes the only real place to charge the phone is on the express bus if I don't have time to do so in my office.  

I'm sure QM1 can relate.

I certainly can relate. I personally bring my laptop with me on the bus, and tether it to my phone for internet. I used to have a laptop with a crummy battery life, and I was constantly worrying about where I would charge it. Now, with the improved technology, I have a laptop with much better battery life. Still, having some outlets on the bus is not a crazy request in 2016, especially for $6.50 per ride (and possible $7 soon).

I certainly can relate. I personally bring my laptop with me on the bus, and tether it to my phone for internet. I used to have a laptop with a crummy battery life, and I was constantly worrying about where I would charge it. Now, with the improved technology, I have a laptop with much better battery life. Still, having some outlets on the bus is not a crazy request in 2016, especially for $6.50 per ride (and possible $7 soon).

I used to do the same. I try to avoid bringing the laptop to work unless absolutely necessary, but yeah tethering will kill your battery quick.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting for the day a passenger refuses to ride an express bus due to a malfunctioning outlet/Wifi

Like when I drove a Greyhound line run from Port Authority to Boston with a Saddle River MCI, this lady and her son boarded and asked if I had an outlet. I said I didn't, and she got hysterical. I said only Greyhounds have outlets, and said she wanted to get off, smh

I'm waiting for the day a passenger refuses to ride an express bus due to a malfunctioning outlet/Wifi

Like when I drove a Greyhound line run from Port Authority to Boston with a Saddle River MCI, this lady and her son boarded and asked if I had an outlet. I said I didn't, and she got hysterical. I said only Greyhounds have outlets, and said she wanted to get off, smh

Hahahahaha

I mean is there a way of knowing before you get on? Most drivers won't check anyway. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet! Is there WiFi as well? Does every seat have the USB port? 

Did they install anymore regular outlets as well?

The (MTA) is now running a pilot program with Wi-Fi on express buses.  I tested it today on Bus#3308.  Not all express buses will have it.  If your express bus has it, you will see a sticker on the side of the bus noting Wi-Fi access.  It doesn't seem as fast as the Wi-Fi in the subway stations, but it was decent when I used it.  Oddly enough this bus has Wi-Fi access but was not retrofitted with USB ports for charging, so there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason with this new set up. 

The (MTA) is now running a pilot program with Wi-Fi on express buses. I tested it today on Bus#3308. Not all express buses will have it. If your express bus has it, you will see a sticker on the side of the bus noting Wi-Fi access. It doesn't seem as fast as the Wi-Fi in the subway stations, but it was decent when I used it. Oddly enough this bus has Wi-Fi access but was not retrofitted with USB ports for charging, so there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason with this new set up.

Sweet! Thanks for the update! I will keep an eye out on the CP buses.

Is it the same company that runs the subway wifi? What is the network name?

Sweet! Thanks for the update! I will keep an eye out on the CP buses.

Is it the same company that runs the subway wifi? What is the network name?

I forget exactly, but I think it said "MTA WiFi".  I think the network carriers provide free internet in the subways. I'm not sure who provides it on these express buses.  What's annoying is how random this has been.  How do they expect to get any feedback when they're rolling it out like this? I've seen more express buses with the USB ports in the past few weeks too (mainly out of Yonkers Depot), but I haven't been impressed.  The charging has been pathetic overall.  Better off sticking with the old school outlets.  Additionally, the fleet has been so up and down that you get a mish-mash of experiences. We have two of those old express buses with the green signage with no outlets.  Got one last week on the BxM1 (Bus#2907).  That bus doesn't even show up on BusTime and sounds like it was ready to break down any moment.  I wonder if the other buses were retrofitted or not because if they plan on keeping those older buses longer it's insane not to have them on BusTime.  

Ulmer Park Prevosts have the WiFi at least...

It seems as if most of MCIs getting these upgrades are the older buses (circa 2005 - 2006), though 3308 is one of the "newer" MCIs.  I love the 2005 - 2007 models the most. They're the most comfortable.  Great signage etc.  The Prevosts are "ok", and the 2015 model is an improvement from the 2012 models for sure.  The seats on the 2012 models leave a lot to be desired.  Annoying reclining mechanism...

The (MTA) is now running a pilot program with Wi-Fi on express buses.  I tested it today on Bus#3308.  Not all express buses will have it.  If your express bus has it, you will see a sticker on the side of the bus noting Wi-Fi access.  It doesn't seem as fast as the Wi-Fi in the subway stations, but it was decent when I used it.  Oddly enough this bus has Wi-Fi access but was not retrofitted with USB ports for charging, so there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason with this new set up. 

See the WIFI no the subway is actually pretty good, I'm usually able to stream videos, but on the buses they struggle to even load basic web pages sometimes. However this is experience from riding the XD60's I still haven't gotten a WIFI express bus yet.

I forget exactly, but I think it said "MTA WiFi". I think the network carriers provide free internet in the subways. I'm not sure who provides it on these express buses. What's annoying is how random this has been. How do they expect to get any feedback when they're rolling it out like this? I've seen more express buses with the USB ports in the past few weeks too (mainly out of Yonkers Depot), but I haven't been impressed. The charging has been pathetic overall. Better off sticking with the old school outlets. Additionally, the fleet has been so up and down that you get a mish-mash of experiences. We have two of those old express buses with the green signage with no outlets. Got one last week on the BxM1 (Bus#2907). That bus doesn't even show up on BusTime and sounds like it was ready to break down any moment. I wonder if the other buses were retrofitted or not because if they plan on keeping those older buses longer it's insane not to have them on BusTime.

I've been averaging two buses per week with USB ports. When I plug in, all I can think about is how it looks like one of those oxygen masks hanging from the ceiling on a plane.

I'll be looking for the wifi the rest of the week

See the WIFI no the subway is actually pretty good, I'm usually able to stream videos, but on the buses they struggle to even load basic web pages sometimes. However this is experience from riding the XD60's I still haven't gotten a WIFI express bus yet.

That makes sense though. You're stationary in a subway versus a bus where coverage will change based on your location.

That makes sense though. You're stationary in a subway versus a bus where coverage will change based on your location.

To be fair though I will admit I never had high expectations for MTA Wifi so the subway Wifi is beyond my expectations while the bus Wifi is pretty much what I'd expect.

But the MTA is making a mistake in using USB ports over outlets.

To be fair though I will admit I never had high expectations for MTA Wifi so the subway Wifi is beyond my expectations while the bus Wifi is pretty much what I'd expect.

But the MTA is making a mistake in using USB ports over outlets.

Yeah but the (MTA) isn't providing the WiFi in the subways.  That's a joint venture with the wireless carriers.  It isn't clear who provides it for the express buses.  I think the USB ports are probably a cheaper solution cost-wise over the outlets for the older fleet, many of which will likely be retired in the next 5 or 6 years anyway, so I don't think an exorbitant amount of money should be allocated for that. It's not as if tons of people use the outlets on the express buses anyway.  The newer fleet (i.e. the Prevosts have outlets).  Quite frankly, most people are so oblivious that they don't even know they exist. 

The Wi-Fi in the subway is different from the WiFi on the buses. The WiFi on the buses is essentially a mobile network, so at most times, the same kind of reception and speed you get on your phone, is the same in the bus. Other times, it varies.

Most of the time, it's very spotty since it relies on cell towers to get the best signal.

Yeah but the (MTA) isn't providing the WiFi in the subways.  That's a joint venture with the wireless carriers.  It isn't clear who provides it for the express buses.  I think the USB ports are probably a cheaper solution cost-wise over the outlets for the older fleet, many of which will likely be retired in the next 5 or 6 years anyway, so I don't think an exorbitant amount of money should be allocated for that. It's not as if tons of people use the outlets on the express buses anyway.  The newer fleet (i.e. the Prevosts have outlets).  Quite frankly, most people are so oblivious that they don't even know they exist. 

Not exactly. It's one company that specializes in fiber optics, cellular and wi-fi signals. It's not a joint venture with the carriers, but the company that installs all of the components allows all cellular bands to be compatible, which includes all the major US carriers.

Yeah, bus wifi is just phone wifi but spread out over all the passengers on the bus. If you're trying to do something that isn't just plain text based like email, don't hold your breath.

in my experience, When I use Boltbus or Amtrak, their wifi is.usually good enough for light web browsing, even things a little more advanced than email writing. I'm not trying to counter what you wrote, but at least for a basic web user like myself, bus wifi is more than sufficient, and the signal usually stays strong enough in my experience anyway

Archived