M42 Nostalgia Bus Schedule

Xfer2Nowhere

Does anyone have the full schedule for the nostalgia runs this December?

They tend to be random. The buses can run anytime between 9am and 5pm weekdays, weather permitting.

If you just want a ride, I recommend standing around 42nd & 6th and you'll usually get one within half an hour. I did that one day last year and I caught a westbound bus within 5 minutes even after I missed an eastbound bus.

If you want an end-to-end ride, pack your patience. When I rode that bus it went out of service as soon as it got to the pier.

They tend to be random. The buses can run anytime between 9am and 5pm weekdays, weather permitting.

If you just want a ride, I recommend standing around 42nd & 6th and you'll usually get one within half an hour. I did that one day last year and I caught a westbound bus within 5 minutes even after I missed an eastbound bus.

If you want an end-to-end ride, pack your patience. When I rode that bus it went out of service as soon as it got to the pier.

When I've seen them, they've never been crowded. Probably that way on purpose.

Does anyone have the full schedule for the nostalgia runs this December?

Truth be told you can wait for up to an hour for one especially if they bunch. best way to find out where they are is too look at bus time and search for big gaps. 

Truth be told you can wait for up to an hour for one especially if they bunch. best way to find out where they are is too look at bus time and search for big gaps. 

That's why I recommended to wait around 6th Avenue if you don't care how far or which direction you go on the bus itself.

How many of the vintage buses typically end up on the M42 at the same time? I haven't seen more than two running along the line at a time...

That's why I recommended to wait around 6th Avenue if you don't care how far or which direction you go on the bus itself.

How many of the vintage buses typically end up on the M42 at the same time? I haven't seen more than two running along the line at a time...

Usually there are 3-4(tops) buses running.

Also on a side note, I'm noticing the MTA isn't saying anything about Fishbowls running this year. 

Is the first run always from the UN or could it be either end? I was trying to catch it from Port Authority to Grand Central one morning and ran out of luck.

Is the first run always from the UN or could it be either end? I was trying to catch it from Port Authority to Grand Central one morning and ran out of luck.

First off it starts next week, second I'm pretty sure all if not most buses start from the west side, because that is where the depo is. 

First off it starts next week, second I'm pretty sure all if not most buses start from the west side, because that is where the depo is.

I was up there at 8 AM one year and saw all the buses heading westbound, so I'm sure I could take the advice to wait at 6th.

No they do not have gps so no they don't show up on bustime, just be there at the right time to catch it

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

And what time is that?  Is there a schedule for them or do they expect people to just sit in the cold and wait until they show up? Seems like they do their best NOT to let people use those buses.  

And what time is that?  Is there a schedule for them or do they expect people to just sit in the cold and wait until they show up? Seems like they do their best NOT to let people use those buses.  

When they run them, which as Gojimet said is usually from 10 to 3, they usually have all the vintage buses out and 1 or 2 regular ones, so its usually the about the same wait time for a normal M42, except if you are looking for a specific vintage bus.

I rode 8466 from 6th Avenue to Grand Central this morning. When I got to GCT there was a regular M42 trailing and a soon-to-be vintage RTS and another vintage bus (the blue and white painted one-forgot the number) heading the other way. Waited about 10 minutes.

Like I said, if you're not picky, you can get on one with not too much effort.

According to the timetable, there a bus every 8 minutes so more than two regular buses have to be in operation to maintain the schedule. BusTime shows about 10 buses in operation so the wait for a vintage bus is much longer than for a regular bus.

I rode 5227 earlier today at like 4:20 from 6th and it was right in front of a regular bus (which was pretty empty from what I saw from the back window), wasn't waiting specifically for it but it showed up first.

I noticed that they actually have working fare boxes now, last time I rode one was two years ago but I think it was free...?

I rode 5227 earlier today at like 4:20 from 6th and it was right in front of a regular bus (which was pretty empty from what I saw from the back window), wasn't waiting specifically for it but it showed up first.

I noticed that they actually have working fare boxes now, last time I rode one was two years ago but I think it was free...?

A vintage bus actually staying out until sunset is pretty rare.

As for the fare, AFAIK they've had the fareboxes on with payment required all along for the M42 runs.

The last couple of years, the fireboxes weren't working lol. This is probably the first year that I've seen them operate normal.

I've been out there every day and it is annoying not to be able to track or at least have the (MTA) post the info about when they're running. Oh wait, this is the (MTA). Anyway, they run two on the M42, one sits at 34th and 6th and another at Union Square when the driver shows up to work. Usually, they operate one in each direction, but yesterday 5227 and 9098 were going in the same direction. 8466 and 3100 are running and 100 made a cameo. Oh, and I was told they start at 9am.

I've been out there every day and it is annoying not to be able to track or at least have the (MTA) post the info about when they're running. Oh wait, this is the (MTA). Anyway, they run two on the M42, one sits at 34th and 6th and another at Union Square when the driver shows up to work. Usually, they operate one in each direction, but yesterday 5227 and 9098 were going in the same direction. 8466 and 3100 are running and 100 made a cameo. Oh, and I was told they start at 9am.

.....why would they put GPS tracking in the vintage buses, when they are only running temporarily? You do understand they are old buses that can't really handle the technology, right? They're called vintage buses for a reason.

Information or schedules being posted, I agree with, but you also have to understand that it's not the same drivers that takes the buses out at times. As for the tracking scenario, no offense, but that was a rather silly, yet ridiculous complaint.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

.....why would they put GPS tracking in the vintage buses, when they are only running temporarily? You do understand they are old buses that can't really handle the technology, right? They're called vintage buses for a reason.

No offense, but that was a rather silly, yet ridiculous complaint .

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

They should release a schedule so people atleast have a rough estimate

Archived