•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -
    News

Engineer with Sleep Apnea sues for $10 million...

• Please log in to reply
    16 replies to this topic

#1 46Dover

46Dover
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,576 posts
    • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:19 PM

MNRR forum pic.JPG
    The Metro-North engineer who fell asleep at the controls of speeding train three

years ago today is blaming the commuter railroad for a Bronx derailment that

killed four passengers, The Journal News/Lohud has learned.

The $10 million lawsuit filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in New York revealed
    that engineer William Rockefeller says Metro-North should have equipped the
    Manhattan-bound train with a system that would have automatically applied the brakes
    when the train exceeded posted speed limits.

The filing of the lawsuit was timed to meet the deadline for railroad employees with injury claims, lawyers said.

Read more: Source

Edited by +Young+, 02 January 2017 - 12:13 AM.
    Modified for home page...

Lakeland Bus Lines

#2 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 26,392 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY & New York, NY

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:24 PM

This is an insult to the passengers on that train that perished, as well as the Riverdale community.  I use this station frequently (used it this morning in fact) along with the Riverdale station and I think Metro-North has moved swiftly to increase safety at the Spuyten Duyvil station. It's egregious but not shocking that this guy is looking for a payout.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8, 01 December 2016 - 03:25 PM.

BxM2-RIVERDALE_zpsa98b6afb.gif

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN - BUY "MADE IN USA" PRODUCTS

#3 Fan Railer

Fan Railer
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 2,807 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

This is a murky topic with valid arguments from both sides. I trust you both know that.

#4 paulrivera

paulrivera
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,074 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:43 PM

The fact that the engineer lawyer waited until the last day before the statute of limitations would otherwise disallow this makes me wonder...

PACIS%20display%20D%20train%20smaller_zp

Can't come soon enough...

#5 Fan Railer

Fan Railer
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 2,807 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:52 PM

The longer the time between the accident and the date of filing, the more of a case he has to make on the agency denying him disability (which in this case, was three years).

#6 46Dover

46Dover
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,576 posts
    • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:09 PM

The longer the time between the accident and the date of filing, the more of a case he has to make on the agency denying him disability (which in this case, was three years).

But in this article, it says he wasn't given the proper equipment to operate with. Now if he's going about it in the way he was denied disability, the Railroad hated him that much that they didn't even give him a dime.

BUT, with an undiagnosed condition, you could also say it was something he failed to disclose so much that it could affect his job to the extent that he wouldn't be operating trains, thus affecting his income.

I will say this:

The sleep apnea thing that's been the main case of this and the recent accident in Hoboken, and because these engineers didn't take it upon themselves to get treatment, is now going to have a widespread effect on the transportation industry as a whole, bus ops, truckers, railroaders included (in a similar case, the crash in Chase, Maryland that killed 16 people and the Conrail engineer was found under the influence of drugs, thus ramping up drug and alcohol testing for all transit operators). It's already hitting the bus operators. I've known a few folks who have been put out until they do a sleep study.

In essence, the Federal government is now going to come out guns blazing and the after effect will not be pretty
    Lakeland Bus Lines

#7 QM1to6Ave

QM1to6Ave
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 3,036 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:23 PM

But in this article, it says he wasn't given the proper equipment to operate with. Now if he's going about it in the way he was denied disability, the Railroad hated him that much that they didn't even give him a dime.

BUT, with an undiagnosed condition, you could also say it was something he failed to disclose so much that it could affect his job to the extent that he wouldn't be operating trains, thus affecting his income.

I will say this:

The sleep apnea thing that's been the main case of this and the recent accident in Hoboken, and because these engineers didn't take it upon themselves to get treatment, is now going to have a widespread effect on the transportation industry as a whole, bus ops, truckers, railroaders included (in a similar case, the crash in Chase, Maryland that killed 16 people and the Conrail engineer was found under the influence of drugs, thus ramping up drug and alcohol testing for all transit operators). It's already hitting the bus operators. I've known a few folks who have been put out until they do a sleep study.

In essence, the Federal government is now going to come out guns blazing and the after effect will not be pretty

Those sleep studies are not cheap, at all. If they become the norm, I see railroads and bus companies moving towards driver-less vehicles etc with even more vigor than they currently are. 

#8 46Dover

46Dover
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,576 posts
    • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:34 PM

Those sleep studies are not cheap, at all. If they become the norm, I see railroads and bus companies moving towards driver-less vehicles etc with even more vigor than they currently are.

The insurance companies should compensate for that. Even with all the human issues, I don't think we'll be looking at automation that drastically. Example: the R143s that are operating on the (L). You'd still have to have on board ops to monitor the computers should they go haywire.
    Lakeland Bus Lines

#9 Around the Horn

Around the Horn
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 5,343 posts
    • LocationAcross the Verrazano from Shaolin Land...

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:33 PM

Frankly, the way they have framed this lawsuit, he has a pretty good chance of winning and making Metro North look pretty bad...

"Most surely in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alteration of night and day, and the ships that run in the sea with that which profits men, and the changing of the winds and clouds made subservient between the heavens and the earth, there are signs for a people who understand"

"We can disagree and still love each other unless your disagreement is rooted in oppression and denial of my right to exist." James Baldwin

M%2096%20St_zps56dx2ako.gif

"Mercury melted when the Sun rose,The storm struck when the heart sighed "I can't live without someone from the heart"-Dil Se

#10 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 26,392 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY & New York, NY

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

Yeah but I don't see how the (MTA) could do it. The unions would throw a fit and I don't think the public would go for it either.  I like reducing costs too, but not at the sake of risking safety.

BxM2-RIVERDALE_zpsa98b6afb.gif

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN - BUY "MADE IN USA" PRODUCTS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: news