This is the absolute worst way to travel in New York City

Via Garibaldi 8

@ DetSMART45

Why should a resident of Iowa or Kansas or NC have their tax dollars spent to support mass transit in Philly or in NYC long-term? 

For the same reason big-city taxpayers' money is used for agricultural subsidies, maintaining flights into rural airports, rural electrification (back in the day), Amtrak trains in North Dakota, etc., I guess.

It'll still take real effort to address the $ 39 billion Elephant in the room ...

That debt's gonna be the end of the MTA, sooner or later.

I believe this article from 1995 illustrates the same climate we face now.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/28/nyregion/budget-chief-for-giuliani-joins-mta.html

A criticism of the MTA budget, and the hiring of a man who unfrotunately agreed with the hype.

His name? Joe Lhota, who also ran against de Blasio in 2012.

Transit can only succeed if it is forcibly decoupled from politics by law.

Oh, when we see this news, we all might be scared. Then forget my proposals (Q32A/B) above, and don't only agree for fare hiking, maybe drop some skeptical bus routes that are waste of "space", the cause of budget deficit, until further notice.

Caution to commuters, In the future, 50/50 of dropped bus routes may not be revived, and other halves are usually essential. So expect the alternative routes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the same reason big-city taxpayers' money is used for agricultural subsidies, maintaining flights into rural airports, rural electrification (back in the day), Amtrak trains in North Dakota, etc., I guess.

I hope that you realize that I was explaining what those rural types believe.Those folks overlook the fact that it's the urban dweller's tax dollars that make their locales even remotely tolerable. You wouldn't believe the smirking I've encountered since Election Day when I travel to NC. Some folks are living in a Bizarro world where they think that we urbanites are getting too much from the Federal trough while they're being shafted. I'm a Brooklynite and I don't back down when I argue with some of the bumpkins I encounter. Funny thing is that one of my most vocal antagonists got a job with the Post Office and his view of civil service work and the workers has taken a 180 degree turn in the last couple of years. I'm not anti rural, I own property there, but I stand up for mass transit and much of the" Big City " lifestyle. Hope this clears up my position. Carry on.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, when we see this news, we all might be scared. Then forget my proposals (Q32A/B) above, and don't only agree for fare hiking, maybe drop some skeptical bus routes that are waste of "space", the cause of budget deficit, until further notice.

Caution to commuters, In the future, 50/50 of dropped bus routes may not be revived, and other halves are usually essential. So expect the alternative routes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems like the same old nightmare. They can't cut the subway as that'd cause an uproar.

The dismal performance makes them easy cut targets like the elevated rails on Second Avenue.

For some sections of Queens and Southwest Brooklyn, this is quite unfair.

I still think elevated rails were given a raw deal. It's hard to see the good in something that's always been an eyesore.

???? Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow ????

THE Hudson Valley's essential Fare-blazer ????

Archived