M5/M55 Split January 8, 2017

Union Tpke

Planned Service Changes
M5
M55

Effective Sunday, January 8, 2017

Changes to M5 route and new M55 route

In an effort to alleviate delays and improve reliability, the M5 is being split into two separate, shorter routes, operating with the new M55 as follows: 

• The M5 will continue to operate between the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal at 
    W 178 St/Broadway and its new Midtown terminal at W 31 St/6 Av.  

• The M55 will serve the portion of the former M5 route between W 44 St/6 Av and the South Ferry Terminal.  

• Transfer between both routes at any stop between W 31 St and W 44 St along 5 and 6 Avs. 
The M5 will continue to operate limited-stop service during daytime hours, and operate local service during nights only. The M55 will operate local service at all times.
M5_M_55.jpg

Click here to plan your trip with Trip Planner+, or call 511 for automated travel information 24/7; agents are available from 6 AM to 10 PM daily. Hearing impaired customers: use your preferred relay service provider or the free 711 service relay to reach 511. If you cannot be connected for any reason, you can ask the relay operator to connect you to 511 via the following phone number: 877-690-5116.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May be a little too little too late.... The M5 has been such a mess for the past several years, that I would imagine it losing a TON of ridership.  I also think it's stupid to have one portion of the line be limited stop and the other be local.  Heaven forbid folks want to use the bus to get Downtown over the subway...

May be a little too little too late.... The M5 has been such a mess for the past several years, that I would imagine it losing a TON of ridership.  I also think it's stupid to have one portion of the line be limited stop and the other be local.  Heaven forbid folks want to use the bus to get Downtown over the subway...

There's no point in having it Limited South of 8th Street, since it goes local anyway. It would be limited just for a small number of stops, which is a waste.

There's no point in having it Limited South of 8th Street, since it goes local anyway. It would be limited just for a small number of stops.

I'm aware of that.  My point was that they should try running limited stop service to South Ferry.  This M55 is similar to the M6 though this obviously starts further south long with a few other differences.  The only service that provides any limited stop service below 8th street is the M15SBS.  Granted it serves areas away from the subway but still.  I predict that the headways will run like crap because the (MTA) doesn't really want to run the service and this will just force more people to the subway.  It's too slow and makes too many stops.  Most of those M5 buses that you see Downtown are empty outside of rush hour.

I'm aware of that.  My point was that they should try running limited stop service to South Ferry.  This M55 is similar to the M6 though this obviously starts further south long with a few other differences.  The only service that provides any limited stop service below 8th street is the M15SBS.  Granted it serves areas away from the subway but still.  I predict that the headways will run like crap because the (MTA) doesn't really want to run the service and this will just force more people to the subway.  It's too slow and makes too many stops.  Most of those M5 buses that you see Downtown are empty outside of rush hour.

The problem with Limited service on the Downtown portion is that most of those stops Downtown actually pick up during the rush hour. You tend to get a sizeable amount to/from South Ferry at times. A part-time Limited would be hit-or-miss. The M1 would have to be extended to cover those stops lost. Making a Limited variant in that part of Downtown would make people just take the subway because of the lack of stops in-between certain segments.

The problem with Limited service on the Downtown portion is that most of those stops Downtown actually pick up during the rush hour. You tend to get a sizeable amount to/from South Ferry at times. A part-time Limited would be hit-or-miss. The M1 would have to be extended to cover those stops lost. Making a Limited variant in that part of Downtown would make people just take the subway because of the lack of stops in-between certain segments.

I don't know.  I mean so you get a decent load during the rush, but outside of that, ridership is a joke.  Don't be surprised if they offer 30 minute headways outside of the rush and on weekends.

Should have just brought back the M6...This is similar to the M10/20 split in 1999 when the overlap was 30 blocks from Lincoln Center to Penn Station. Interesting to see the signage on these routes. M5 from Manny V, the 55 from Mike Quill. And then the M1 will go to Worth St via Bowery w/103 SMH. I wonder will ridership on the (R) and (W) will skyrocket 

I'd say it'll run similar to the M20 (which also parallels subway lines). Something like every 15-20 minutes all day. 

Should have just brought back the M6...This is similar to the M10/20 split in 1999 when the overlap was 30 blocks from Lincoln Center to Penn Station. Interesting to see the signage on these routes. M5 from Manny V, the 55 from Mike Quill. And then the M1 will go to Worth St via Bowery w/103 SMH. I wonder will ridership on the (R) and (W) will skyrocket 

Subway ridership is much higher than bus ridership in that area. The Cortlandt Street (R) station got 8,549 riders per average weekday according to the MTA's stats. I think the old M6 got about 5,000 riders throughout its whole route IIMN (I don't feel like looking up the old numbers now)

Archived