M5/M55 Split January 8, 2017

Union Tpke

My thing is this constant complaining about the Bx12 as if it's immune to all of the other issues plaguing buses around the city... It isn't.  I wonder if the same tune would be sung if the Bx12 was more reliable?

If the Bx12 was so immaculate, there wouldn't be a need for 2 people on here to rant about it as much as they have, with the issues they say the route has.... That's just common sense....

Part of the issue with the 12 is that it not only carries a lot of riders, but that it carries a lot of riders from end to end. Even the M15 (it's closest comparable route) doesn't have heavy ridership at the ends of its route in Harlem or in the Financial District.

The riders are also stupid, as the local Bx12 exists to relieve the SBS, but it is poorly used for the most part. Look at Pelham Pkwy/White Plains Road for instance; you have the local 12 and (especially) the Bx22 in the area and those stops are poorly utilized while you can count the people at the SBS stop by the hundreds during rush hour, even though most of the people aren't going to Inwood.

The traffic and the dispatching is a general problem that isn't unique to the 12, but the headways should definitely be a little better so that you don't see sardine cans running around at 12:30 in the afternoon on a random Tuesday, much less during rush hour. Although people need to do their part too and take the damn local if you ain't going to Co-op or Manhattan and it shows up first.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of the issue with the 12 is that it not only carries a lot of riders, but that it carries a lot of riders from end to end. Even the M15 (it's closest comparable route) doesn't have heavy ridership at the ends of its route in Harlem or in the Financial District.

The riders are also stupid, as the local Bx12 exists to relieve the SBS, but it is poorly used for the most part. Look at Pelham Pkwy/White Plains Road for instance; you have the local 12 and (especially) the Bx22 in the area and those stops are poorly utilized while you can count the people at the SBS stop by the hundreds during rush hour, even though most of the people aren't going to Inwood.

The traffic and the dispatching is a general problem that isn't unique to the 12, but the headways should definitely be a little better so that you don't see sardine cans running around at 12:30 in the afternoon on a random Tuesday, much less during rush hour. Although people need to do their part too and take the damn local if you ain't going to Co-op or Manhattan and it shows up first.

The issue is that the local counterparts can run like crap, which then pushes those people towards taking the Bx12.  Same deal with the M15.  If there's a consistent pattern where one local comes for every two or three SBS buses, well you know what people will start to do.  The point that I want to make with the (MTA) is that when they want bus lines to succeed, they sure as hell can be aggressive with dispatching.  I see it a lot on the M86.  I'm not saying that bunching isn't going to happen, but the question is how proactive will the (MTA) be? They seem to be proactive when they want to be.  The other question is all of the people that complain about the service, how often do they file complaints with the (MTA)?  If people complained the way I see some people do on these boards or in person, perhaps the (MTA) would be forced to provide better service across the board.

• 3 weeks later...

New schedules in effect starting tomorrow. More running time supposedly. Just completed a round trip on the line.

Even while traveling decent speed, you look at your schedule and you're behind 20 minutes. Seems like the public has spoken

New schedules in effect starting tomorrow. More running time supposedly. Just completed a round trip on the line.

Even while traveling decent speed, you look at your schedule and you're behind 20 minutes. Seems like the public has spoken

I've seen the bus here and there, but not nearly as much as I should. Waited for the BxM2 by Bryant Park earlier after shopping at the new Whole Foods there and I may have seen one M55 the entire time. It seems like not many people are using the line from what I've seen.

Seems like the b/o's have spoken....

Give it time. It is a new line.

...derived from another line.

I've seen the bus here and there, but not nearly as much as I should. Waited for the BxM2 by Bryant Park earlier after shopping at the new Whole Foods there and I may have seen one M55 the entire time. It seems like not many people are using the line from what I've seen.

...all according to plan.

Here's the new schedule:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/manh/m055cur.pdf

The runtime seems more realistic just as KingNas mentioned.

Wow, so they now get 50 minutes. Improvement over the former 32 minute runtime. Looking at bustime now, the buses are somewhat spaced decently. Who knows how much ridership was lost as a result of such crap service this month alone.

I was there on Saturday had a pretty decent load, probably due to 6th av being out. 

There are also people with clipboards writing info as the bus makes the runs.

You know it was bad when they didn't wait for the pick to be over to change it!

LOL they were silly creating them schedules based off of the LTD M5

Was it based off the old M5 schedule? The M5LTD was generally scheduled for ~40-50 mins from 42nd St to South Ferry during the day while the M55 was scheduled to cover that same distance in 30 mins. Honestly makes you wonder how that was approved. Maybe the route was being set up to fail, but the updated runtime seems to indicate somebody is interested in the performance of the route. So I don't know.  

Was it based off the old M5 schedule? The M5LTD was generally scheduled for ~40-50 mins from 42nd St to South Ferry during the day while the M55 was scheduled to cover that same distance in 30 mins. Honestly makes you wonder how that was approved. Maybe the route was being set up to fail, but the updated runtime seems to indicate somebody is interested in the performance of the route. So I don't know.  

Maybe maybe not.  This actually seems to be a problem on quite a few routes, in part due to Vision Zero.  When Vision Zero first took hold, there were a litany of complaints from both B/Os and passengers about how long trips were taking versus what was printed on the schedule.  I know that some B/Os definitely complained and management listened.  Seems like that happened here.  I personally find it inexcusable to have such inaccurate schedules when the (MTA) has real-time tracking info.  That's how they have created some of the latest time points on certain lines.  The original runtimes IMO were linked to them trying to squeeze out savings.

I can't think of one other MTA route off the top of my head, where b/o's were given practically no room for error (well, delay) like that, to get from end to end.... No way in hell buses were going to (esp. consistently) get from the ferry to Bryant park (area) in some 30-35 mins......

u wonder if the m5 has/had enouph running time?

As long as the route was, (allowable) runtime wasn't too much of an issue, if at all....

Archived