M5/M55 Split January 8, 2017

Union Tpke

1550: M55     41 ST

6 AV

41st Street or 44th Street?

Now would the M55 need a short turn code?

The problem is where would you short-turn it without screwing over too many riders past that point? The only place I can think of is 14th Street (since riders can connect to the M7 to continue north, and when it returns south, you can still connect from the M1/2/3).

A good question would be (and I don't know the answer to this) but does the M20 have any short-turns (since it runs in the same general area)?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is where would you short-turn it without screwing over too many riders past that point? The only place I can think of is 14th Street (since riders can connect to the M7 to continue north, and when it returns south, you can still connect from the M1/2/3).

A good question would be (and I don't know the answer to this) but does the M20 have any short-turns (since it runs in the same general area)?

44th Street, my bad.

And idk if there's a need for a short turn, I just thought maybe their could be a code for one.

The only short-turn code for the M20 is Chambers St.

Only code in the bus is Chambers St

It should be both. When I lived on Staten Island, there was a period when we had buses with busted shocks, no AC and the like, leading to downright dangerous situations. Thank God those days are over, but there is still a ways to go.

bad situations?! tell me more

It should be both. When I lived on Staten Island, there was a period when we had buses with busted shocks, no AC and the like, leading to downright dangerous situations. Thank God those days are over, but there is still a ways to go.

Speaking of which, shouldn't the MTA and NYCDOT work together to make sure that streets with bus routes are in good shape to lower maintenance costs?

Speaking of which, shouldn't the MTA and NYCDOT work together to make sure that streets with bus routes are in good shape to lower maintenance costs?

Well I will say that the city is spending a TON of money doing street paving blitzes. My own block looked like a third world country and after complaining several months later, finally it was repaved, so they're doing a lot, but there's still a lot to be done, and some of the paving has been awful, so there's that.  The real issue is inferior materials.  The paving only lasts a few years before the street looks like crap or ConEd or someone else starts digging everything again and doing patch jobs.

Well I will say that the city is spending a TON of money doing street paving blitzes. My own block looked like a third world country and after complaining several months later, finally it was repaved, so they're doing a lot, but there's still a lot to be done, and some of the paving has been awful, so there's that.  The real issue is inferior materials.  The paving only lasts a few years before the street looks like crap or ConEd or someone else starts digging everything again and doing patch jobs.

I imagine that between all the usage, the shitty weather, and the utility companies not giving a crap about DOT's repaving schedule, that repaving is a Sisyphean task. The road my bus takes seems to alternate paving/not-paving every other year.

elaborate more on those dangerous situations on the express bus 

Plenty of horror stories.... This seemed to be a Staten Island issue that was noticed on both local and express buses... The main one was no HAVC.... No air on local buses, no air on express buses creating extremely dangerous situations.  I got into it with one driver because he claimed that there was AC when it was clearly broken on an extremely hot day.  By the time it became evident, we were stuck on the FDR with no where to get off.  He was a regular driver but I didn't care.  I laid into him for putting all of us at risk and got off at the first stop and walked all the way to the subway.  I was that furious.

There were countless other issues of express buses with no AC where the B/O had to open up the emergency exits to get air in.  Countless buses breaking down, shocks shot, seats literally missing (recall riding on an express bus that had the entire back row of seats that had collapsed) or seats with screws coming out of them that stuck you in the rear when you went to sit down.  These were mainly buses out of Castleton on the X10 and X14, but a few came from Meredith on the x30 as well.  All of these buses have been retired and from my most recent experiences, Castleton seems to be doing a better job, but they have newer fleet so that remains to be seen.  We'll see how things look as their buses age.  Also experienced numerous filthy express buses with dust from the AC everywhere from a lack of cleaning.  

Looking at BusTime for the past few days, the AM rush reliability seems to be alright, but it starts falling apart in the midday and PM rush hour. For example, right now, there's 4 buses southbound, and 2 northbound (and one just disappeared which means it might be doing some type of battery run).

The problem is they don't give the buses enough layover time at the terminals. If they added an extra bus or two (to bring it to 7 or 8 buses instead of just 6), it looks like they would be able to maintain decent spacing on the buses, even if it doesn't match the schedule exactly (e.g. If all buses are around 5 minutes late).

Now, is it worse than other Manhattan lines at rush hour...hard to say. For example, I see a 38 minute gap in M3 service (it's along the 5th Avenue portion, but it probably started as a fairly bad delay further uptown). 

Looking at BusTime for the past few days, the AM rush reliability seems to be alright, but it starts falling apart in the midday and PM rush hour. For example, right now, there's 4 buses southbound, and 2 northbound (and one just disappeared which means it might be doing some type of battery run).

The problem is they don't give the buses enough layover time at the terminals. If they added an extra bus or two (to bring it to 7 or 8 buses instead of just 6), it looks like they would be able to maintain decent spacing on the buses, even if it doesn't match the schedule exactly (e.g. If all buses are around 5 minutes late).

Now, is it worse than other Manhattan lines at rush hour...hard to say. For example, I see a 38 minute gap in M3 service (it's along the 5th Avenue portion, but it probably started as a fairly bad delay further uptown). 

The gaps are abysmal.  Two buses running bunched together on 15 minute headways... Northbound there's a bus scheduled to leave South Ferry at 17:30.  No bus there yet and assuming that the 17:15 bus came you're looking at a 30 minute wait between buses at a minimum, so I expect more ridership losses, and more cuts if this keeps up because that's what the (MTA) does when bus service is unreliable.

The M5 isn't doing much better.  Huge gaps in service Southbound... One bus by 160th street and then the next bus by 100th street. 

The gaps are abysmal.  Two buses running bunched together on 15 minute headways... Northbound there's a bus scheduled to leave South Ferry at 17:30.  No bus there yet and assuming that the 17:15 bus came you're looking at a 30 minute wait between buses at a minimum, so I expect more ridership losses, and more cuts if this keeps up because that's what the (MTA) does when bus service is unreliable.

The M5 isn't doing much better.  Huge gaps in service Southbound... One bus by 160th street and then the next bus by 100th street. 

160th to 100th Street is a little over 3 miles. There's barely any traffic along that part of Broadway, so you're talking about maybe a 20 minute gap tops (and buses are scheduled every 12 minutes heading southbound).

For the 17:15 bus, that bus actually left around 17:25, so some of those 17:30 riders might've caught that bus. (So there's definitely plenty of gaps longer than 15 minutes, but so far nothing that's 30+ minutes wide)

Not saying it's good, but I honestly expected it to be worse on the M55. 

The M55 currently short-turns at 14th Street.

Archived