NICE Artic

LI Operator

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And FYI it wont be too much of adifficulty for the n6 to depart terminal 165 since other bus route. .using artics don't have muchto say like CT-S 11/41 (the Byram area is to me the most hardest part for an artic to handle as well as the J to Waterbury and some S to Scranton Gazebo ...BeeLine 5 handles Narrow roads and Some NJT buses pulling in Hackensack Bus Transfer...

• 2 weeks later...

Articulated buses are a sneaky way to cut service, and they result in longer running times due to extra passengers.  Have you seen how slow the articulated M23 ran before SBS was instituted on that route?  More people will give up riding NICE buses if they see service cuts and slower buses. The solution is pre-payment and spreading stops further apart (especially on the N24 and N4).  We should be speeding up buses with pre-payment and fewer stops, not slowing down everyone with less buses needed (due to artics) and longer waits for buses + much slower moving when they finally arrive.

Articulated buses are a sneaky way to cut service, and they result in longer running times due to extra passengers.  Have you seen how slow the articulated M23 ran before SBS was instituted on that route?  More people will give up riding NICE buses if they see service cuts and slower buses. The solution is pre-payment and spreading stops further apart (especially on the N24 and N4).  We should be speeding up buses with pre-payment and fewer stops, not slowing down everyone with less buses needed (due to artics) and longer waits for buses + much slower moving when they finally arrive.

The n4 and the n6 needs all the help that they can get, whether it be in the form of articulated buses or a second route full time Jamaica- SE Nassau route. Both routes can barely handle the crowds riding to/ from (E) or (F) in Jamaica with 40ft buses at current service. NICE already has a go mobile app, which allows customers to buy bus tickets online and show it to the driver to confirm, which speeds up the boarding. The reason why it's not fully used is because the MTA's dragging it's foot to perfect it's off board fare payment system, which means that NICE riders still have to use their Metrocards to transfer between from a Nassau Bus to an NYC Subway or Bus.

http://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Mobile-Ticketing.aspx

Edited by NY1635

• 3 weeks later...

No they are currently doing driver training in the coliseum parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I wonder how well this will go...training drivers in a parking lot isn't exactly the best prep for the road.

The rumored date, according to NICE, is April 9th.

That's the date of the cuts, which is also their pick, so if it's April it pretty much has to be April 9th.

Mhm considering they didn't get too many artics either it might run on one of the X buses. Or that's my prediction at least.

They might, except for the n22X. I'm thinking it's more likely for the n6 or n6X than the n4 or n4X. The n6/X is probably the most overcrowded route.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I doubt 5 iseven enough to cover the N6X buses so it'd be weird to see how the mix plays out. Atrics with a seated load followed by an over crowded 40ft. Or the other way around. 

It wasn't meant to cover all of the n6x trips. This is more of a test phase to see how these XN60s will perform.

It wasn't meant to cover all of the n6x trips. This is more of a test phase to see how these XN60s will perform.

NICE said that the artics will be running between Hempstead and Jamaica because the roads in NCC are too narrow for the new buses.

NICE said that the artics will be running between Hempstead and Jamaica because the roads in NCC are too narrow for the new buses.

Right, but I'm just saying that 5 artics won't cover all of the n6x trips, which he's inquiring about. That would be a little extreme.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

It might If they reduce headways to 20 mins

That would have to result in instant deadheads from Hempstead, since some of those n6x deadhead from Hempstead to Jamaica to do another trip, with others having round trips.

With 20 minute headways, those buses will spend most of their time in traffic.

Edited by Cait Sith