2017 Exam Schedule (January - June) has been posted...

+Young+

That's right folks...the 2017 Exam Schedule for January to June has been posted on this MTA page. If the website goes down for whatever reason, below is a snapshot of the webpage as of Wednesday, December 28th @ 5:35 PM (aka 1735 hours):

jahpog.jpg
2nm0p4n.jpg

Please note that, just like in the past, this is subject to change. One of the big things I have noticed is that there are three (yes, three) Bus Operator Application Periods for NYC Transit, MaBSOTA & MTA Bus Company within four months of each other, respectively. If you want more information about any of these examinations at this time, the best thing to do is to check out the prior notice of examination which can be found either on this or this website (for the open-competitive examinations).

Happy New Year & good luck getting into the MTA!!

FYI, three exams for which the filing period was supposed to begin today aren't happening after all.

Please be careful with your wording as this can offend some people - one of them isn't happening at all, and one of them is being postponed, a.k.a. delayed, to January 20th. The third, promotion to MS Revenue, is now available for filing.

• 2 weeks later...

How is it mabstoa has a exam this year n hasn't begun calling from 4105 taken in Nov 2014 any thoughts

Perhaps a lot of people didn't pass the BOSS exam, or, like in my case, even though you're on the list for all of them (NYC Transit, MaBSTOA, and MTA Bus Company), once you fail training, you can't try again for another 5 years. This will definitely shorten the life of a list.

• 1 month later...

So theres an update to bus operator for march. It's now bus operator part time. I'm sure it's still pretty much full time. Some date changes too. Not bad. I'm going to apply to all bus operator exams. And the traffic checker. Not sure what a checker does but im sure its about traffic lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

So, which bus company is better??? NYCT, MaBSTOA or MTA Bus Company... everyone is telling me something different... I've heard Queens and Staten Island are the better boroughs to work in... it's all NYC ppl if you ask me... i'm from Harlem but live in Queens... so IDK... 

So, which bus company is better??? NYCT, MaBSTOA or MTA Bus Company... everyone is telling me something different... I've heard Queens and Staten Island are the better boroughs to work in... it's all NYC ppl if you ask me... i'm from Harlem but live in Queens... so IDK...

Completely honest it's NYCT. Simply for the fact your in the city pension system and you can work in every boro. OA removes SI n Queens and BC is just queens with 1BX garage and 1 in Yonkers. Other than that they are exactly the same in salary, vacation days, and tho slowly now equipment.

I can't speak on queens but for SI I assure you nearly all who says it's easier feel that the act of opening the doors and making a lot of stops due to a large passenger volume is working "hard".

I honestly recommend to you once you get on stay TWU. You come to queens or SI without being forced here. Your stuck and it'll be difficult (not impossible) to leave the boro as BO if you don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely honest it's NYCT. Simply for the fact your in the city pension system and you can work in every boro. OA removes SI n Queens and BC is just queens with 1BX garage and 1 in Yonkers. Other than that they are exactly the same in salary, vacation days, and tho slowly **new** equipment.

First, please note the typo error I found above.

Second, just to add my 2 cents, with every company you can take a promotion to Dispatcher, Superintendent, etc. However, with NYCT, you can also take a promotion to Train Operator. With MaBSTOA & MTA Bus Company, that's not possible.

One of the nice things with MTA is that you don't have to stay in your current title/position forever. Say, for example, you initially get hired by MTA Bus Company or MaBSTOA first. Providing you pass & do well on the civil service and the BOSS examinations, you can always switch from MTA Bus Company or MaBSTOA to NYCT. Last I heard, once you complete and pass the initial 10-day training, you don't have to do it again for the switch over.

First, please note the typo error I found above.

Second, just to add my 2 cents, with every company you can take a promotion to Dispatcher, Superintendent, etc. However, with NYCT, you can also take a promotion to Train Operator. With MaBSTOA & MTA Bus Company, that's not possible.

One of the nice things with MTA is that you don't have to stay in your current title/position forever. Say, for example, you initially get hired by MTA Bus Company or MaBSTOA first. Providing you pass & do well on the civil service and the BOSS examinations, you can always switch from MTA Bus Company or MaBSTOA to NYCT. Last I heard, once you complete and pass the initial 10-day training, you don't have to do it again for the switch over.

I didn't add the bus division promo paths bcause that's where the discrepancies between the divisions become very apparent and somewhat confusing. For example unless it has changed BC dispatchers don't make anywhere as much as their OA/TA counterparts. And for superintendent and beyond I've seen postings where they show 3 different min/max salary ranges. Unsure if once you reach their you can assigned to only train BO in that division or if they take into account what division you originated in as a BO or dispatcher.

And while it's completely true that you can test into TA from the other divisions and not be required to do the 7 day training. What is not mentioned is even if you pass probation in the other 2 they'll put you back on it when you come over. Of course BO fight that but by the time a decision comes most are thru a large chunk of it anyways and don't bother. And this one I have to check (I know it happened to the LI bus guys) they'll reset your pay rate and vacation days.

Everyone save yourself the hassle and just bother with the NYCT tests. If you already applied for one the others and call you. Yes of course take it but when NYCT contacts you. Leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone save yourself the hassle and just bother with the NYCT tests. If you already applied for one the others and call you. Yes of course take it but when NYCT contacts you. Leave.

Amen to that!!

• 2 months later...

Hearing it from a large amount of dispatchers that OA promotes dispatchers quicker over TA. The good thing about this job, once you reach 3 years of service the doors to higher position are open.

To be promoted as Superintendent you must first be a dispatcher and there are no competitive promotion exam for that dept. Its basically when there is positions open within different rank or dept in the Supt you have to submit a resume. Once you transfer to Supt or GM level you are considered Management and loses union, overtime pay or the other good stuff as a regular hourly position.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Archived