•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -
    News

Chairman Prendergast to Retire...

• Please log in to reply
    29 replies to this topic

#1 +Young+

+Young+
    • 1,810 posts
    • LocationQueens, New York

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:51 PM

avenue-subway-opening.jpg
    ALBANY — The long-awaited opening of the Second Ave. subway is
    expected to be the end of the line for MTA Chairman Thomas Prendergast.

Three sources say Prendergast, who has headed the MTA since 2013, is set to retire
    early this year. One source said his departure could come as soon as this month.

A Prendergast spokeswoman had no comment. But a source with knowledge of his

plans confirmed the head of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is leaving.

Read more: Source

Edited by +Young+, 01 January 2017 - 10:59 PM.
    Formatting for home page...

w-tt5.gif

R.I.P. Transit Transit News Magazine, 1994 - 2014 (https://www.youtube....?v=-sF89sIqzVQ)

Thank you for forming my forming my invaluable love, hobby & passion for (MTA) NYC Transit.

#2 bobtehpanda

bobtehpanda
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 4,891 posts
    • LocationStony Brook, NY

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:26 PM

Best of luck to him.

In all seriousness, when was the last time an MTA Chairman stuck around for their full six-year term?

#3 SubwayGuy

SubwayGuy
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 7,966 posts
    • LocationEarth

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:27 AM

If true, this is not good. Prendergast has a wealth of knowledge about how the system works and all of its various components. He is a "transit man" who acknowledges the details.

I really hope whoever replaces him is cut from the same cloth. The amount of stupidity that occurs when someone "business minded" who doesn't know the TA's structure or the logistics of running service, is staggering. Prendergast has been a fine chairman.

Be American. Buy American.
    http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/

#4 CTK246

CTK246
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPip
    • 920 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:32 AM

The subway has seen so much progress under this man. He will be missed.

#5 TheNewYorkElevated

TheNewYorkElevated
    • PipPip
    • 716 posts
    • LocationA less known part of Harlem...

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

The (MTA) has posted a video announcing his retirement.

https://www.youtube....h?v=IGwuCY0FUsk

Edited by +Young+, 02 January 2017 - 02:55 PM.
    Original link was for mobile devices...

1_zps7cda2dfe.png

(Special thanks to Lance for this requested sign!)

#6 Gotham Bus Co.

Gotham Bus Co.
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,004 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

ALBANY — The long-awaited opening of the Second Ave. subway is
    expected to be the end of the line for MTA Chairman Thomas Prendergast.

Three sources say Prendergast, who has headed the MTA since 2013, is set to retire
    early this year. One source said his departure could come as soon as this month.

A Prendergast spokeswoman had no comment. But a source with knowledge of his

plans confirmed the head of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is leaving.

Read more: Source

I find it very interesting that Cuomo made the announcement. Is he upset that the media is giving Prendergast too much credit for Second Avenue?

#7 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 26,121 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY & New York, NY

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

Will he stick around long enough for the next fare hike?  Should be coming in the next few months...

BxM2-RIVERDALE_zpsa98b6afb.gif

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN - BUY "MADE IN USA" PRODUCTS

#8 MHV9218

MHV9218
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 7,128 posts
    • LocationNYC

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

If true, this is not good. Prendergast has a wealth of knowledge about how the system works and all of its various components. He is a "transit man" who acknowledges the details.

I really hope whoever replaces him is cut from the same cloth. The amount of stupidity that occurs when someone "business minded" who doesn't know the TA's structure or the logistics of running service, is staggering. Prendergast has been a fine chairman.

Yeah, he was a lifer and that meant some real knowledge of the actual TA. Hakim over at Transit is the one I might bet on, and she's definitely got experience between NJT and the TA, but then again she began as an attorney and her knowledge is not quite as hands-on as Prendergast.

Honestly though, with this governor, it could be some loyal incompetent whom Cuomo wants to put in as a reward. I have low hopes. 

Dissent is patriotic.

#9 bobtehpanda

bobtehpanda
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 4,891 posts
    • LocationStony Brook, NY

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

Yeah, he was a lifer and that meant some real knowledge of the actual TA. Hakim over at Transit is the one I might bet on, and she's definitely got experience between NJT and the TA, but then again she began as an attorney and her knowledge is not quite as hands-on as Prendergast.

Honestly though, with this governor, it could be some loyal incompetent whom Cuomo wants to put in as a reward. I have low hopes. 

To be fair, sometimes loyalists with no transit experience are not such a bad thing. I don't remember Lhota being particularly awful, particularly in contrast with the Walder era.

#10 Around the Horn

Around the Horn
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 5,153 posts
    • LocationAcross the Verrazano from Shaolin Land...

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

I find it very interesting that Cuomo made the announcement. Is he upset that the media is giving Prendergast too much credit for Second Avenue?

Actually NY1 broke it first, but no one watches In Transit, lol

"Most surely in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alteration of night and day, and the ships that run in the sea with that which profits men, and the changing of the winds and clouds made subservient between the heavens and the earth, there are signs for a people who understand"

"We can disagree and still love each other unless your disagreement is rooted in oppression and denial of my right to exist." James Baldwin

M%2096%20St_zps56dx2ako.gif

"Mercury melted when the Sun rose,The storm struck when the heart sighed "I can't live without someone from the heart"-Dil Se