Station electrical outlets

rockdove

What kind of equipment is typically connected to the 30 amp electrical outlets that you see often in the subway stations (with the round lids)? I never see anything plugged in except maybe an extension cord leading somewhere out of sight.

bestoutlet2.jpgbestoutlet3.jpg

With the right adapter, it could be possible to charge your phone on those outlets , if its permitted. Might be worthwhile on those long waits for the train on late nights and weekends.

Well - while that appears to be a NEMA L5-15p 120v 15a (not 30) outlet - you really have no idea what they've got wired to it. Could be DC, could be some weird Hz AC - they used a non-standard outlet because they don't want people to plug into it. I would not recommend it. Yes - it's very likely just regular old AC - you don't want that hot potato. 

Besides, it would be a lot less risky, probably cheaper, smaller and lighter just to carry a quality USB battery pack backup :-D. 

With the right adapter, it could be possible to charge your phone on those outlets , if its permitted. Might be worthwhile on those long waits for the train on late nights and weekends.

lol... How long is your wait during those times?  I'm laughing because people on here keep claiming that the waits aren't that bad, but numerous people seem to be saying otherwise.

Archived