•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -
    News

Dozens Injured in LIRR Train Derailment at Atlantic Terminal

• Please log in to reply
    7 replies to this topic

#1 Lance

Lance
    • Senior Moderator
    • 4,869 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:07 AM

Pic.PNG
    A LIRR train derailed in Brooklyn on Wednesday, with initial reports suggesting 20 people were being treated for injuries. All reported injuries appear to be minor and passengers are mostly being treated at the scene of the incident.

The derailment happened at Atlantic Terminal. Pictures on social media showed the derailment took place on track 6, and that the train was tipped slightly at an angle.

Read more: Source

#2 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 27,477 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY & New York, NY

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

I was listening to the news this morning and they were asking questions such as how old is the equipment?  Did they upgrade the infrastructure at Atlantic Terminal, etc.  

BxM2-WESTMIDTOWN_zps03c172c1.gif

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN - BUY "MADE IN USA" PRODUCTS

#3 DaTransitMan4608

DaTransitMan4608
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:02 AM

I was listening to the news this morning and they were asking questions such as how old is the equipment? Did they upgrade the infrastructure at Atlantic Terminal, etc.

The media is ignorant when it comes to covering mass transit. Remember the Amtrak derailment in Philly? They kept calling the engineer a conductor, on one station they put up a picture of a Genesis P42DC numbered 188 and said "this is a picture of the train that derailed." They could've easily done a quick google search and got the answer. They're more focused on ratings than reporting actual facts.

Rant over.

I hope those injured in this accident will be okay. Something tells me we're looking at something similar to Hoboken here, minus the fatalities.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by DaTransitMan4608, 04 January 2017 - 11:04 AM.

I'm either gonna meet my future wife at school, at work, or while I'm fanning. That last one is gonna be a little tough to explain. 

#4 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 27,477 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY & New York, NY

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:10 AM

The media is ignorant when it comes to covering mass transit. Remember the Amtrak derailment in Philly? They kept calling the engineer a conductor, on one station they put up a picture of a Genesis P42DC numbered 188 and said "this is a picture of the train that derailed." They could've easily done a quick google search and got the answer. They're more focused on ratings than reporting actual facts.

Rant over.

I hope those injured in this accident will be okay. Something tells me we're looking at something similar to Hoboken here, minus the fatalities.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The one thing I will say is for what we MNRR and LIRR riders pay, these sorts of incidents are occurring all too frequently. The (MTA) either needs to look at more training or add more safety protocols.  

BxM2-WESTMIDTOWN_zps03c172c1.gif

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN - BUY "MADE IN USA" PRODUCTS

#5 B46 via Utica

B46 via Utica
    • Pip
    • 300 posts
    • LocationSomewhere

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:35 PM

The one thing I will say is for what we MNRR and LIRR riders pay, these sorts of incidents are occurring all too frequently. The (MTA) either needs to look at more training or add more safety protocols.

Or do both.

#6 paulrivera

paulrivera
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,200 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

Or do both.

Especially more training. The (MTA) is getting a handle on the safety aspect, but they need a firm grip on the quality of their employees.

PACIS%20display%20D%20train%20smaller_zp

Can't come soon enough...

#7 QM1to6Ave

QM1to6Ave
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 3,109 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

Damn, I take this particular train when I need to be in Brooklyn for work. Thankfully didn't need it this week. I often sit in the middle car, but they usually only open doors at the front cars at Atlantic so everyone lines up by the front cars while pulling into Atlantic. That definitely made this worse

#8 paulrivera

paulrivera
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,200 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:54 PM

10 mph in a 5 mph zone........ *facepalm*

PACIS%20display%20D%20train%20smaller_zp

Can't come soon enough...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: news