•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -

JFK and a one seat ride.

• Please log in to reply
    86 replies to this topic

#1 RailRunRob

RailRunRob
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,657 posts
    • LocationRiverdale/ Prospect Hts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:34 PM

Don't know if you guys saw this. But what are your thoughts on these plans?

http://library.rpa.o...Ride-to-JFK.pdf

%20http://scaped.net/r160-649.png

#2 BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

BM5 via Woodhaven Bl
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 10,413 posts
    • LocationSpring Creek Depot

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:54 PM

Interesting plans.

While extending the Airtrain to Penn might be the least expensive option, I don't know how feasible it is, given how it will run alongside the LIRR.

As for the LIRR proposal, IDK how passengers in Nassau and Suffolk would feel if resources are going towards commuting folks within City Limits. I mean, this occurs during the racing season at Belmont, but this would be to a much bigger extent. While Queens and Brooklyn are part of Long Island, the LIRR has always focused on commuters on suburban Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk). However, I would be for it, especially since it uses the Rockaway Beach Branch (in which several stops can be added to also provide service to Penn Station along the Rockaway Beach Branch, perhaps one at Metropolitan Avenue, and one at Atlantic Avenue, before shifting for Howard Beach). I don't know if the residents who opposed the subway would oppose the LIRR service, despite it being less frequent though.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl, 07 January 2017 - 10:58 PM.

Reduced service on Queens Express Buses for the day after Thanksgiving, and more info:

http://mtaexpressbus...ress-bus-routes

#3 Around the Horn

Around the Horn
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 6,220 posts
    • LocationAcross the Verrazano from Shaolin Land...

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:37 PM

*cough* 2nd Avenue Subway phase 3 *cough*

If this is what they need to get phase 3 on the table, then by all means build!

"Most surely in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alteration of night and day, and the ships that run in the sea with that which profits men, and the changing of the winds and clouds made subservient between the heavens and the earth, there are signs for a people who understand"

"We can disagree and still love each other unless your disagreement is rooted in oppression and denial of my right to exist." James Baldwin

giphy.gif

"Mercury melted when the Sun rose,The storm struck when the heart sighed "I can't live without someone from the heart"-Dil Se

#4 HenryB

HenryB
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 176 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:43 PM

Why not extend SAS from phase 4, especially AECOM asks for new subway line to Red Hook 

(and so they have a reason to complete the whole SAS  :rolleyes:)

#5 bobtehpanda

bobtehpanda
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 5,293 posts
    • LocationStony Brook, NY

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:26 AM

Any "one-seat-ride" to JFK has always had two problems;

• The circular layout of JFK's terminals means that a train of subway or LIRR length can only really serve one terminal, maybe two. So the vast majority of people are still going to transfer to the AirTrain.
    • The Passenger Facilities Charge that funded the AirTrain and that would probably fund this can only be used on train lines that serve only the airport and major transportation hubs, which means to say that there can be no local stops along any such rail line built using that money. So express service on the RBB, or Atlantic, or SAS means dedicating those tracks to an express service to midtown, which quite frankly is a huge waste of money.

There is also something to be said about prioritizing the needs of a few monied travelers who already have rail options to airports over the everyday commuter pressed against the walls of our overcrowded subway trains, to say nothing of those everyday commuters who then have to schlep onto a bus for the next hour of their journey.

#6 RailRunRob

RailRunRob
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,657 posts
    • LocationRiverdale/ Prospect Hts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:32 AM

Any "one-seat-ride" to JFK has always had two problems;

• The circular layout of JFK's terminals means that a train of subway or LIRR length can only really serve one terminal, maybe two. So the vast majority of people are still going to transfer to the AirTrain.
    • The Passenger Facilities Charge that funded the AirTrain and that would probably fund this can only be used on train lines that serve only the airport and major transportation hubs, which means to say that there can be no local stops along any such rail line built using that money. So express service on the RBB, or Atlantic, or SAS means dedicating those tracks to an express service to midtown, which quite frankly is a huge waste of money.

There is also something to be said about prioritizing the needs of a few monied travelers who already have rail options to airports over the everyday commuter pressed against the walls of our overcrowded subway trains, to say nothing of those everyday commuters who then have to schlep onto a bus for the next hour of their journey.

Good points!

%20http://scaped.net/r160-649.png

#7 Trainmaster5

Trainmaster5
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 2,042 posts
    • LocationNew York, North Carolina

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:00 AM

Wasn't the Rockaway Beach Branch the "original " one seat ride to Idlewild ( JFK) airport along with some LIRR trains from Flatbush Avenue? I'm speaking of those trains that didn't require a change at Ozone Park that continued on to the Rockaways. I know that the airport was opened before the RBB was truncated and finally shut down. Just curious. I was aware of the airport surcharge and the restrictions on the Airtrain but often wondered about the viability of the line as an alternative way of traveling to and from Manhattan. Carry on.

#8 RR503

RR503
    • Pip
    • 328 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:19 AM

Interesting plans.

While extending the Airtrain to Penn might be the least expensive option, I don't know how feasible it is, given how it will run alongside the LIRR.

As for the LIRR proposal, IDK how passengers in Nassau and Suffolk would feel if resources are going towards commuting folks within City Limits. I mean, this occurs during the racing season at Belmont, but this would be to a much bigger extent. While Queens and Brooklyn are part of Long Island, the LIRR has always focused on commuters on suburban Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk). However, I would be for it, especially since it uses the Rockaway Beach Branch (in which several stops can be added to also provide service to Penn Station along the Rockaway Beach Branch, perhaps one at Metropolitan Avenue, and one at Atlantic Avenue, before shifting for Howard Beach). I don't know if the residents who opposed the subway would oppose the LIRR service, despite it being less frequent though.

The LIRR Main has a good amount of cap, and tunnel cap will become available with east side access.
    I prefer SAS extension though; the Atlantic branch really should be a subway line.

SOS -- Save Our Subways!

#9 HenryB

HenryB
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 176 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:45 AM

Interesting. 

Btw you could ask AECOM to fund the East River crossing  B-), since they want something going to Red Hook

p6Qsrwj.png

Edited by HenryB, 08 January 2017 - 02:48 AM.

#10 Union Tpke

Union Tpke
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 5,279 posts
    • LocationNear a station in Central Queens where three (E) trains terminate late in the AM Rush Hour on weekdays (at 8:27, 9:02, 9:13 from WTC, arriving at my home station at 9:09, 9:44 and 9:56 respectively) and was the terminal for E and EE trains from its opening on December 31, 1936 to April 24, 1937. This station is also home to R160 or R46 layups during the evening and weekend hours.

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:47 AM

Interesting. 

Btw you could ask AECOM to fund the East River crossing  B-), since they want something going to Red Hook

p6Qsrwj.png

Have one SAS service run via the Fulton Street Line, and the other via Utica Avenue.

Long live R32s!

24730276396_396ec512d2_z.jpgFotor0201132117 by spicker613, on Flickr