Future SBS Routes dug up in a DOT document

Union Tpke

No buses (or anything over 4 tons) is allowed on the Belt between Exit 9 (Knapp St) and 13 (Rockaway Pkwy)

That will change when the reconstruction of the bridges is finally completed in a few years. It is behind schedule as are all capital projects.

A few other points. This list is very old. The MTA is longer considering a new route to JFK. Now they are only looking at SBS for the B82 with no route change.

Also, they were never considering the Belt Parkway, only Flatlands Ave or Linden Blvd, both of which would be too slow. I was the one who recommended using the Belt Parkway getting off and on to make additional stops.

You will also notice that Woodhaven is not in the list. That is because it was never part of Phase 2 until Transportation Alternatives convinced DOT they need exclusive bus lanes on any wide boulevard. so Woodhaven was inserted and made a priority. They also convinced DOT to add exclusive bus lanes to Queens Blvd which they will start pushing after they implement Woodhaven. Their logic is also ridiculous. They claimed when they first mentioned it that SBS on Queens Blvd would reduce subway congestion which is preposterous. The only reason for eliminating lanes for buses and bikes from Queens Blvd is too punish drivers by further slowing traffic.

The M86 should DEFINITELY have SBS, otherwise the bunching would be far worse. It moves well outside of the rush esp., and a big part of that is due to folks paying before they board.

Agreed...the dwell time on the M86 was horrendous, especially at Lex and some of the stops on the West Side until SBS came through. Even though Lex still has its slowdowns, it's still way better than it once was.

I take it a couple times a week(depending on what deliveries I do and where on the Upper East Side), and it's really not bad at all. It's just the people that slows it down along with the traffic that occurs from time to time on 5th Avenue & the transverse.

Regarding the farebeating:

The Bx41 (as it was mentioned here) checks for tickets at Fordham Road. At least it did when I was riding it.

The M86 shouldn't have SBS to begin with, but that's another story. Perhaps the driver explaining is him/her DOING THEIR JOB. If you had ticket checkers at every stop, that will slow things down even more. Face it: as wrong as it is, you're never gonna stop it completely.

The M14A/D is the only crosstown that actually needs SBS. Guessing one would be SBS, the other local and they maintain their current routes. It doesn't specify if both would be converted.

The M11 would seemingly be cut back from Riverbank Park to 135th Street. Interesting.

I can't comment on the other routes as I don't live in Brooklyn or Queens.

Is the Mta planning to make M11 a limited route.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Nice.

However, could buses run on Belt Pkwy?

Also, i could it something manages to have a stop at Coney Island.

The MTA tends to avoid routing its buses on parkways as much as possible, the FDR Drive to 23 St being the main exception.

What they could do, however, is make Kings Hwy a SBS corridor.

Why would they do that anyway? 

The M11 is really slow. 30 minutes to go 40 blocks during rush hours... that would be pretty unbearable in other cities. But it's NYC, the land where buses crawl at a pace slower than walking speed.

I can see the Flushing - Columbus Circle sbs happening in the future because of the city's $3 billion plan to overhaul the Willets Point junk yard and build apartment buildings, luxury co-ops , a school and a large mall behind citi field. They already started knocking down the junk yards.

The problem with SBS on the B82, is that bus lanes cannot be installed on Kings Highway between Bay Parkway and Ocean Avenue, simply because the road is too narrow. It could run on the wide Avenue P, but then it would lose its direct connection to the (B)(Q) and (N) trains. (It would meet the (F) one stop north of Kings Highway, at Avenue P station.)

The problem with SBS on the B82, is that bus lanes cannot be installed on Kings Highway between Bay Parkway and Ocean Avenue, simply because the road is too narrow. It could run on the wide Avenue P, but then it would lose its direct connection to the (B)(Q) and (N) trains. (It would meet the (F) one stop north of Kings Highway, at Avenue P station.)

.... and this is why the B82SBS hasn't really been talked about yet. Plus East New York doesn't get the new order yet. Their order went to Grand Avenue and Manhattan.

There are some kinks that need to be worked out before it can be established. I do see some re-routes on the horizon.

.... and this is why the B82SBS hasn't really been talked about yet. Plus East New York doesn't get the new order yet. Their order went to Grand Avenue and Manhattan.

There are some kinks that need to be worked out before it can be established. I do see some re-routes on the horizon.

The B82 SBS has been in the works for several years. Go to the DOT website. They are still taking opinions. And yes it should run on Avenue P but traffic there on rush hours is bumper to bumper. The only way you could have exclusive bus lanes is by banning parking during rush hours. Banning other times will never happen. It would make crosstown traffic impossible on any street that goes through the Brighton Line.

Thlhey were never a part of the new order. They're getting the hand-me-down 4700s from the Bronx once they get their buses

...whenever they actually come in lol

• 4 weeks later...

To what extent has the idea of moving parking spaces to adjacent side streets been entertained in the name of installing bus lanes without removing general traffic lanes along the Kings Hwy corridor?

E 17th St between Kings and Ave P is 44' curb-to-curb. This width is suitable for 60 degree angle parking on one side (scroll to page 3 of http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/nycdot_highwaydesign_typicalmarkings.pdf). 20' angle parking, 16' through lane, 8' parallel parking. Converting the 14 parallel parking along the west side of this stretch to 60 degree angle parking would yield 12-16 new spaces depending on if/to what extent the DOT would choose to daylight the Kings/17th and P/17th intersections.

• 1 month later...

Kings Highway is horrible, there are no more than 2 consecutive traffic signals which are simultaneously green. It's just crazy that the MTA wants to implement SBS to "Speed up travel times" when they don't implement TSP and these buses sit at red traffic signals all day.

It's not really a new route. Just a new number.

I proposed rerouting the B9 to replace the Bergen Beach branch at least 17 years ago. The only difference is I would have retained it during rush hours. Http:brooklynbus.tripod.com.

Just another proposal of mine they rejected and then implemented decades later as their own.

If SBS includes exclusive lanes on Flatbush, that would be a mistake. They will have a fight on their hands.

It's not really a new route. Just a new number.

I proposed rerouting the B9 to replace the Bergen Beach branch at least 17 years ago. The only difference is I would have retained it during rush hours. Http:brooklynbus.tripod.com.

Just another proposal of mine they rejected and then implemented decades later as their own.

If SBS includes exclusive lanes on Flatbush, that would be a mistake. They will have a fight on their hands.

The B9 to Bergen Beach? The B9 is already a mess. When I lived in Midwood I would use it from time to time. They would always run in twos down Avenue M and L.

Archived