Express N tunnel will shut for one year of emergency repairs

GojiMet86

Me of all people? You're talking to somebody who was offered a position on the Transportation Committee of my community board (I had to decline because I couldn't fit it into my schedule. Not to mention it was unpaid). I'm constantly getting emails from board members talking about "Heads up, I emailed the MTA rep regarding this issue, and they responded with such and such. What do you think about it?"

So if a person makes well-reasoned arguments, and knows a lot about the topic at hand, I would find it reasonable for them to speak for the needs of the entire community. He lives in the area and uses the (R) and B9 enough to make a reasonable assessment of the reliability of those routes that, until I can get solid evidence from another reasonable person that the B9 is unreliable enough that a separate shuttle is necessary, I will take his word for it that the B9 is sufficient. 

That's not my point.  Regardless of the circumstances, one person's commute is not the same as another person's commute, and what is sufficient for one person isn't sufficient for another.  It has nothing to do with knowing a lot about the topic.  That's a completely different thing.  In other words, yes, one person speaking out for an entire community is fine, but not without sufficient input for various members of the community so that a reasonable conclusion can be made.  

That's not my point.  Regardless of the circumstances, one person's commute is not the same as another person's commute, and what is sufficient for one person isn't sufficient for another.  It has nothing to do with knowing a lot about the topic.  That's a completely different thing.  In other words, yes, one person speaking out for an entire community is fine, but not without sufficient input for various members of the community so that a reasonable conclusion can be made.  

I'd just like to clarify that my observation about the B9 and the  (R) is based on observing other passenger's use of both routes at various different times of the day. Most riders would either stay on the B9 to 59 Street, if they come from west of 3rd Av, wait for the B9 or B63 to take them to 59 Street, if they usually walk from their house in the immediate area to the train station, or walk to 77 Street, if they live south of Bay Ridge Avenue.

I would agree with the operation of a shuttle bus if there was a higher number of elderly/disabled people using the station but that is just not the case. These people are already using the B37 and B63 and aren't using the  (R) at all.

I'd just like to clarify that my observation about the B9 and the  (R) is based on observing other passenger's use of both routes at various different times of the day. Most riders would either stay on the B9 to 59 Street, if they come from west of 3rd Av, wait for the B9 or B63 to take them to 59 Street, if they usually walk from their house in the immediate area to the train station, or walk to 77 Street, if they live south of Bay Ridge Avenue.

I would agree with the operation of a shuttle bus if there was a higher number of elderly/disabled people using the station but that is just not the case. These people are already using the B37 and B63 and aren't using the  (R) at all.

I can live with that then, but if that's the case, why is anybody calling for a shuttle bus anyway and who are the people requesting one?

I think that was just one of the posters here. As far as I know, there isn't anyone in the community asking for one...

If that's the case then I have to retract what I said.  I was under the impression that the community was asking for one, hence my comments. If the community isn't asking for one then that means that their needs are being met. 

This won’t hurt that much. I’d be inclined to send some Southbound (N) via West End however. Especially since this will co-inside with the Sea Beach southbound construction. That way, it doesn’t have to merge with the (R), and you can still connect to the northbound (N) at 62nd and Stilwell.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes by the time the express tracks close for work, the Manhattan bound side will have reopened.

Now one thing I haven't seen an answer yet, is the (N) going to be local from 59th to 36th, and then take the switch there to the express track or will it run local from 59th to DeKalb (B)(Q) track?

We got a preview of the latter last Tuesday when there was a sick passengers on a (D) train at Atlantic Avenue.

Yes by the time the express tracks close for work, the Manhattan bound side will have reopened.

Now one thing I haven't seen an answer yet, is the (N) going to be local from 59th to 36th, and then take the switch there to the express track or will it run local from 59th to DeKalb (B)(Q) track?

We got a preview of the latter last Tuesday when there was a sick passengers on a (D) train at Atlantic Avenue.

Merging with the (B) and (Q) probably isn’t the best of plans. The (N) also cannot run via the tunnel and clog up Broadway local along with the (R) and (W). There’s pretty much only one viable option.

I think it’ll be 36st. If the MTA did not go through the hoopla of re-instating the (W), I’d be inclined to temporarily cut the (W) and just send the (N) via Montague, and short turn a few of them at Whitehall. You would need extra (N)’s anyway for the local service, so this would make sense.

However, temporarily eliminating the (W) would be kind of embarrassing, at least until 2019, when all of the fanfare is over. However, the next time Montague, the South Side Tracks of the Bridge, or the Broadway Express tracks need extensive renovation the (W) is the expendable train. 

Anyway, I’m getting carried away. I think combining the (N) and the (W) into one big (N) local is the best solution (with the possible <N> Broadway Express to 9th Avenue) but since that will never happen, the double bottleneck at 36st will be the actual scenario.

I'd be inclined to believe that the (N) will be running local from DeKalb to 59th Street. No need to switch it back and forth between express and local in Brooklyn.

The (B) is the problem during the weekday. The (B), (N), and (Q) would all serve the same track.

The (B) is the problem during the weekday. The (B), (N), and (Q) would all serve the same track.

Again, there is a perfect solution out there but it would just be too confusing for everyone, IMO, especially after a big Broadway Line shakeup and for something that is only going to take 12-18 months of repairing.

(N) - Local via Montague/Broadway Local/4th Avenue Local. Midday extra service with some short-turns at Whitehall

(W) - Rush Hours only from Ditmars to 9th Avenue. Provides the Second Broadway Express, stays on the express track, and could have the limited runs up 2nd Ave.

However, making the (N) the local and the (W) the rush-hour express, while probably the best solution when it comes to conflicts and track placement, might be too “bulky”. 

Thus, if I had to place my money, I’d day:

(N) runs local between 36th street and 59th street, during southbound Sea Beach construction, southbound trains might run express via West End. 

Again, there is a perfect solution out there but it would just be too confusing for everyone, IMO, especially after a big Broadway Line shakeup and for something that is only going to take 12-18 months of repairing.

(N) - Local via Montague/Broadway Local/4th Avenue Local. Midday extra service with some short-turns at Whitehall

(W) - Rush Hours only from Ditmars to 9th Avenue. Provides the Second Broadway Express, stays on the express track, and could have the limited runs up 2nd Ave.

However, making the (N) the local and the (W) the rush-hour express, while probably the best solution when it comes to conflicts and track placement, might be too “bulky”. 

Thus, if I had to place my money, I’d day:

(N) runs local between 36th street and 59th street, during southbound Sea Beach construction, southbound trains might run express via West End. 

I actually think the (N) being local and the (W) becoming (during the closure) a 4th Avenue express to 9th Avenue might be easier, and once the work is complete make that change permanent, possibly even with the (W) becoming a seven-day-a-week route.  Side benefit is 4th Avenue and Downtown Brooklyn would see more local service with the (N) running fully via the tunnel as opposed to the (W) terminating at Whitehall.

I actually think the (N) being local and the (W) becoming (during the closure) a 4th Avenue express to 9th Avenue might be easier, and once the work is complete make that change permanent, possibly even with the (W) becoming a seven-day-a-week route.  Side benefit is 4th Avenue and Downtown Brooklyn would see more local service with the (N) running fully via the tunnel as opposed to the (W) terminating at Whitehall.

It's expensive and screws over Sea Beach riders, and leaves a rehabilitated express section unused!

Hell no! Sea Beach is gonna want your head if you take away their express service...

I actually think the (N) being local and the (W) becoming (during the closure) a 4th Avenue express to 9th Avenue might be easier, and once the work is complete make that change permanent, possibly even with the (W) becoming a seven-day-a-week route. Side benefit is 4th Avenue and Downtown Brooklyn would see more local service with the (N) running fully via the tunnel as opposed to the (W) terminating at Whitehall.

Hell no, Astoria would be on their period if that were to happen.

Hell no! Sea Beach is gonna want your head if you take away their express service...

I was just suggesting this during the construction, where the (N) will have to head local to start, not a permanent change. 

The proposal is good as far as track configuration, but like I said, in practice, there would be lots of issues, one of which is what you bring up.

That's a pretty unessesary way to put it they have dealt with (N) running local for years before the (W) came back. I don't know why it would be a problem now.

i think he meant Sea Beach

as for Astoria, they don't care since the Broadway Express only saves a minute or two and almost no average passenger rides a line from one end to the other. just the central business district and that's it. once Astoria gets to the Broadway line, they're all already in the central business district.

i think he meant Sea Beach

as for Astoria, they don't care since the Broadway Express only saves a minute or two and almost no average passenger rides a line from one end to the other. just the central business district and that's it. once Astoria gets to the Broadway line, they're all already in the central business district.

Not to mention they would still get a Broadway Express in the (W) on weekdays under this (again, highly unlikely) proposal. Weekends (N) would run local like it always has. 

Archived