Express N tunnel will shut for one year of emergency repairs

GojiMet86

I was just suggesting this during the construction, where the (N) will have to head local to start, not a permanent change. 

The proposal is good as far as track configuration, but like I said, in practice, there would be lots of issues, one of which is what you bring up.

Oh, I meant that was directed towards Wallyhorse who suggested it should be the permanent service pattern.

Not to mention they would still get a Broadway Express in the (W) on weekdays under this (again, highly unlikely) proposal. Weekends (N) would run local like it always has. 

Not meant as criticism but an old man like me finds it funny when someone says weekends the (N) would run local like it always has. Back in my prehistoric times the (N) was always the Broadway Express 24/7/365. The (R) was always the Broadway Local. The (T) was a Broadway Express on Saturday afternoons IIRC, while the (QB) was a Broadway Local via the Bridge and Brighton on the weekends. All before the Chrystie connection was established. 50 years ago.Time flies.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. I am new to the area and not very familiar with NYC transit. I am trying to understand the impact that the closure of the express track will have on those in the area. Will the N run on the R line (is that what is meant by it running local?)? How much do you think the closure will slow riders down from 59th to 36th St., and how much extra time should we budget? Thanks for your help!

Hi there. I am new to the area and not very familiar with NYC transit. I am trying to understand the impact that the closure of the express track will have on those in the area. Will the N run on the R line (is that what is meant by it running local?)? How much do you think the closure will slow riders down from 59th to 36th St., and how much extra time should we budget? Thanks for your help!

59 St-36 St?

No more than an extra 5-10 minutes to your commute

It happens with regularity. I’ve come to tolerate the occasional reroute. It is still faster than the (Q).

Archived