Potential M79 SBS Implementation and Q52 Extension

BM5 via Woodhaven

Opinions  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the M79 SBS Implementation & Q52 Extensions proposed?

• Great (M79)
    • Great (Q52)
    • Good (M79)
    • Good (Q52)
    • Decent (M79)
    • Decent (Q52)
    • Needs Improvement (M79)
    • Needs Improvement (Q52)
    • Horrible/Waste of Time (M79)
    • Horrible/Waste of Time (Q52)

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/170123_1030_Transit.pdf

1. M79 Implementation (Pages 117-121)

Implement M79 Select Bus Service (SBS) on 79th Street in Manhattan replacing M79 local service at all times. The M79 SBS will continue to operate at all times. Service frequencies will initially remain unchanged as well. An initial 10% reduction in running time will be factored into the schedule as service speed is expected to increase in line with other SBS routes. Additionally some time points will be eliminated to have service operate as fast as possible. This will result in an increase of $1.73 million in the annual operating budget.

Proposed Date: Spring 2017

2. Q52 Extension (Pages 122-126)

To provide improved transit connectivity for the dense residential areas of Arverne and Edgemere in the Rockaways in Queens, and respond to community requests for additional transit service, extend the Q52 east from its current terminus at Beach 67th Street and Rockaway Beach Boulevard to a new southern terminus at Beach 54th Street and Beach Channel Drive.

Beach 54th Street at Beach Channel Drive is within the center of the Ocean Bay Apartments complex, which has approximately 1,800 units, and is owned by the City of New York and operated by the NYC Housing Authority. The Ocean Bay Apartments is also located between, but not immediately adjacent to, the Beach 60th Street and Beach 44th Street A train stations. The extended Q52 would also provide service, via a proposed bus stop at Beach 59th Street and Arverne Avenue, to Arverne View, an approximately 1,100-unit apartment complex; Nordeck, an approximately 400-unit apartment complex; the newest section of the Arverne-by-the-Sea development; and a cluster of lower density residential buildings between Beach 67th and Beach 59th Streets between Rockaway Beach Boulevard and the ocean.

This extension would provide a more convenient transit connection between these neighborhoods and northern and central Queens, a trip that currently requires 1-2 transfers using buses and/or subways. The only current transit service to this area is the Q22 local bus service, which remains on the Rockaway peninsula between Far Rockaway and Roxbury, and the A train, which travels through Howard Beach and Ozone Park, Queens, but then west to Brooklyn and Manhattan.

The extension would precede implementation of an SBS in order to gain the benefits of the extension as early as possible. The route extension would lengthen the Q52 travel path by approximately 0.9 miles in each direction. From the area of its current last stop on Rockaway Beach Boulevard at Beach 69th Street, the south/eastbound Q52 from Elmhurst would continue east on Rockaway Beach Boulevard, turn north on Beach 62nd Street, east on Arverne Boulevard, north on Beach 54th Street to the last stop on Beach 54th Street at Beach Channel Drive, which would also be utilized as a layover. Conversely, the north/westbound Q52 to Elmhurst would make its first stop on Beach Channel Drive at Beach 54th Street, continue west on Beach Channel Drive, south on Beach 59th Street, west on Rockaway Beach Boulevard, and then it would resume the route of the current westbound Q52 from Beach 67th Street to Elmhurst, Queens, as shown in the attached Map. All current Q52 trips would be extended. One bus stop in each direction would be added at the intersection of Beach 59th Street and Arverne Boulevard.

Two new stops will be added, one at the (A) stop at B. 60 Street, and another on Beach Channel Drive & B. 54 Street. The stop at Rockaway Beach Boulevard & B. 69 Street will be discontinued. This change will result in an increase of $510,000 in the annual operating budget.

Proposed Date: April 2017

I don't see the benefit in making the Q52 terminate at Beach 54th and Beach Channel Drive for the Apartments. I still think Beach 20th and Seagirt Blvd is a better terminal it will offer a connection to the Q113/114, n31, n32, and n33. I guess the MTA doesn't want the Q52 to steal riders off the Q22 yet.

M79 SBS....the brunt of the M79's passenger traffic comes from the West Side. East Side seems pretty tame honestly.

Total waste of time and resources in my opinion.

Both the M79 and M86 work mainly as subway feeders more than anything, so it makes sense that they both get SBS service. Eventually Bloomberg's wish to have a quicker payment system on all crosstown Manhattan buses will be implemented via SBS. The (MTA) balked at his idea of making those buses free since most folks transfer to or from them, but they clearly acknowledge that boarding on crosstown buses takes far too long.

When I read the thread title, I thought they were going to end up biting the bullet & run the Q52 up to Woodside..... So they plan on sending it further eastward into the Rockaways instead huh.... I'm not exactly yay or nay with extending the thing in either direction - as I'm someone that believes the route in & of itself exists unnecessarily.....

What I will say though is, I think some of you that suggested the Q52 run to Far Rock' might get your wish when it's all said & done - and it'd come at the expense of the Q22.... It would be nothing to give the Rockaways the suburban treatment when it comes to bus service (the blueprint/"skeleton" practically already exists):

Q35 - to Brooklyn

Q53 from the west, to mainland Queens

Q52 from the east (Far Rock), to mainland Queens

Q113/4 from the east (via Far Rock) to mainland Queens

QM16 - express from the west to Manhattan

QM17 - express from the east, to Manhattan

* Summer service on the Q53 to Riis wouldn't be out of the Question either....

Personally, I say there is a vested interest by the MTA to get more riders on the Q52 over the Q53 anyway, since it would further justify the "need" of the Q52... I have felt this way from day ONE, especially when service was taken from the Q53 to create it..... Some would say the vision zero bit is the major factor (I'd say it ties into it) - but I strongly believe the Q52 route is what SBS-ing Woodhaven is predicated on.... SBS-ing Woodhaven wasn't such a pressing issue before the advent of the Q52 - and heavy traffic was certainly apparent when the Q53 was riding solo (as the LTD) along it before the fact....

One limited was *okay*, but two of them along this MF-er? Nah, we gots to address this!

Select bus service for the win, b1tches d8qx4z0.gif

B35, out.

Don't be misinformed, the m79 has LOADS of people at York, East end and 5th avenue West bound. During the rush.

And East bound tons of people at Broadway, central park West and Lexington.... All train station locations...

Either way they already started putting up machine posts and construction.

Of course you must know that the residents would write their assemblyman or woman . If 86th has it, they'd want it too

Both the M79 and M86 work mainly as subway feeders more than anything, so it makes sense that they both get SBS service. Eventually Bloomberg's wish to have a quicker payment system on all crosstown Manhattan buses will be implemented via SBS. The (MTA) balked at his idea of making those buses free since most folks transfer to or from them, but they clearly acknowledge that boarding on crosstown buses takes far too long.

Not every Manhattan crosstown needs SBS. There's routes like the M8, 21, 22, 50, 66 and others that don't need it.

When I read the thread title, I thought they were going to end up biting the bullet & run the Q52 up to Woodside..... So they plan on sending it further eastward into the Rockaways instead huh.... I'm not exactly yay or nay with extending the thing in either direction - as I'm someone that believes the route in & of itself exists unnecessarily.....

What I will say though is, I think some of you that suggested the Q52 run to Far Rock' might get your wish when it's all said & done - and it'd come at the expense of the Q22.... It would be nothing to give the Rockaways the suburban treatment when it comes to bus service (the blueprint/"skeleton" practically already exists):

Q35 - to Brooklyn

Q53 from the west, to mainland Queens

Q52 from the east (Far Rock), to mainland Queens

Q113/4 from the east (via Far Rock) to mainland Queens

QM16 - express from the west to Manhattan

QM17 - express from the east, to Manhattan

* Summer service on the Q53 to Riis wouldn't be out of the Question either....

Personally, I say there is a vested interest by the MTA to get more riders on the Q52 over the Q53 anyway, since it would further justify the "need" of the Q52... I have felt this way from day ONE, especially when service was taken from the Q53 to create it..... Some would say the vision zero bit is the major factor (I'd say it ties into it) - but I strongly believe the Q52 route is what SBS-ing Woodhaven is predicated on.... SBS-ing Woodhaven wasn't such a pressing issue before the advent of the Q52 - and heavy traffic was certainly apparent when the Q53 was riding solo (as the LTD) along it before the fact....

One limited was *okay*, but two of them along this MF-er? Nah, we gots to address this!

Select bus service for the win, b1tches d8qx4z0.gif

B35, out.

You know that's what I originally thought too, they were gonna send the 52 to Woodside (7)...now it's further east to another arbitrary terminal, B 54 @ Beach Channel. Slowly but surely, it'll go to Far Rock. Seagirt and Crest Rd (Wavecrest) is not a very good terminal. I can't think of a good turnaround spot for it. Mott Av would make sense. Hey at least they're not considering extending the Q53 to like Roxbury or something

Looking at the map, couldn't this extended 52 stay on BCD to B54?

I don't see the benefit in making the Q52 terminate at Beach 54th and Beach Channel Drive for the Apartments. I still think Beach 20th and Seagirt Blvd is a better terminal it will offer a connection to the Q113/114, n31, n32, and n33. I guess the MTA doesn't want the Q52 to steal riders off the Q22 yet.

So residents of those apartments shouldn't be allowed to benefit from this extension, even though they would benefit under an extension to Beach 20th.

I don't follow the logic.

That's because now Eastside riders has the (4)(5)(6) & (Q) trains.

Not exactly......

The (Q) is at 72nd.

They only have the (6) on the East Side(77th Street), and transfers from the (6) isn't all that high.

The M86 has way more to deal with now, and has more of an impact. The M79 won't really change much with SBS except at 5th Avenue(where the line gets hit the hardest on the East Side), and on the West Side. East of 5th Avenue, the line isn't all that great.

Before M86 was SBS, I taken M79 because no one will run for bus from Lex Av/77th St station, but 86th St/Lex Av bus stop was hard to leave for M86, so I was glad M86 because SBS because majority of M86 spends time at subway station stop, because people lining to catch bus.

M79 bus already has less stop than M86.

Before M86 was SBS, I taken M79 because no one will run for bus from Lex Av/77th St station, but 86th St/Lex Av bus stop was hard to leave for M86, so I was glad M86 because SBS because majority of M86 spends time at subway station stop, because people lining to catch bus.

M79 bus already has less stop than M86.

Yes, the difference in dwell time between the M79 & the M86 decreased thanks to SBS, but I'd still say it's lower on the M79......

Archived