We'reT taking the B35 LTD (DWTTC Part 5)

BM5 via Woodhaven

Route Selection  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which Route Should I ride next?

• B69
    • B63
    • B35 Local
    • B37
    • B70
    • Bx31
    • B9
    • B43
    • B61
    • B68
    • Bx8
    • Bx6 & Bx46
    • Bx36

So yesterday, I went to catch some Orion VII CNG's. I walked to the (M) , to then catch the (L) and take it to New Lots, and then make the walk to Mother Gaston Boulevard. I have gone to Brownsville before to catch the B8 (I got a C40LF though, boo!), but I have not done the B35. Now, I wanted to take a LIMITED bus all the way out to Sunset Park on an Orion VII CNG. There were only C40LFs in the intermediate area.

31765870413_b57618411d_b.jpg2011 New Flyer C40LF 420 on the B35 at Hegeman Avenue & Mother Gaston Boulevard by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

Luckilly, on the tracking app I have, there were two LTD buses, and they were Orion VII CNGs. I waited until they showed up. One of them arrived shortly.

31765869383_55e212e317_b.jpg2002 Orion VII CNG 7568 on the B35 LIMITED at Hegeman Avenue & Mother Gaston Boulevard by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

32455260111_ac1e7bea60_b.jpg2002 Orion VII CNG 7568 on the B35 LIMITED at Hegeman Avenue & Mother Gaston Boulevard by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

Two more came afterward, and one of them was local, followed by a Limited. This was great, as I would be able to get on one really easy. However, the second and third bus both went out as locals to McDonald Avenue. 

32577689055_fb14444179_b.jpg2002 Orion VII CNG 7614 on the B35 at Hegeman Avenue & Mother Gaston Boulevard by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

A C40LF went out as an LTD, and then another local. By then, I was waiting for a while, and then the first Orion VII CNG that arrived went into service. To my dismay, it became a local to McDonald Avenue. I see from the distance another Orion VII CNG, but it was a local. At that point, I told myself that I would take it no matter whether it was a local or LIMITED (I was waiting there for quite a while, about 40 minutes). 

31766159323_4592b4458b_b.jpg2002 Orion VII CNG 7648 on the B35 at Hegeman Avenue & Watkins Street by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

I was getting hungry, so I bought myself a snack, and took this while waiting for that Orion VII CNG to leave

31733892494_10c0c8d4bc_b.jpg2011 New Flyer C40LF 378 on the B35 at Hegeman Avenue & Mother Gaston Boulevard by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

Eventually, the Orion VII CNG that I saw (7648) departs in service. To my luck, it turned into a LIMITED towards Sunset Park. So I got on. Here's a rundown of the ridership on that bus (you would need to uncheck the other boxes if you wish to see the B35 LTD data by itself).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XzOdGMsdQgcdU9vRAq2GV4ZtzbM&usp=sharing

There was more ridership on the 39 Street segment than I originally thought. 

32455254291_ef1310d607_b.jpg2002 Orion VII CNG 7608 on the B35 LIMITED at 39 Street & 3 Avenue by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

And here's a shot of the B70 (a route which I will do later in this series)

32536937466_6c4b0745a2_b.jpg2011 New Flyer C40LF 353 on the B70 at 39 Street & 2 Avenue by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some unrelated shots:

31749621123_933980a2ce_b.jpg2012 New Flyer C40LF 378 on the B67 at Jay Street & Willoughby Street by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

31749620473_7f28f0dc3b_b.jpg2006 Orion VII 3610 on the Q103 at Vernon Boulevard & 50 Avenue by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

32561421705_47d51f56b4_b.jpg1995 New Flyer D40LF 717 on the Blue Route (PANYNJ LGA Shuttle Bus) at Marine Air Terminal by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing, and I saw the mistake in the title just as I pressed to publish the post, lol. If a mod can fix it, that would be great!

I did some fanning yesterday also.... Don't ask me how I managed to turn a NJ trip (which was what I initially wanted to do) into a Suffolk one.... Might do a trip report if I don't procrastinate long enough..... I'd have to say it's one of the better ones I've engaged in - and didn't have to ride out to Riverhead to do it.....

Anyway, as for a possible future endeavor.... Instead of selecting a choice in the poll, I'd suggest creating an itinerary that consists of solely JG routes (I'm saying that, solely based on the majority of the poll choices themselves).... Now that I mention that, TBH, it's something I always wanted to do (except, to ride every single JG route in one shot), but never got around to it..... Maybe that's something I'll focus more on in 2017 - "theme" based trips, instead of random, unplanned ass ones like I did yesterday.....

As for this one (trip)... Well, as least you see that the B35 never terminates at Rockaway.... LOL ! Also, being a resident of this neighborhood, it makes no real difference to me if the LTD or the local is embarked on.... I tend to shoot for locals whenever I get off the (F), since there is there is culture of express-a-holicism.....

The 39th st portion has always been underrated... It consists of factory workers (of/in Sunset Park), and basically Sunset park patrons riding b/w 5th av & the Brighton line (folks coming off the (D), inclusive)..... The #1 thing I abhor about that portion of the B35 is the fact that shoppers of that Jewish supermarket park & maneuver around the store wherever & however the f*** they want to - and they take their sweet ass time to move out of the way for oncoming traffic too..... The narrow portion of 39th (b/w 5th & the (D)) doesn't even bother me all that much....

You realize you just took a shot of a bathroom with #353, right :lol:... Especially when it gets dark out, man....

Even since they fixed up the area a bit, it still smells like f*** over there.... I refuse to wait for the B35 anywhere west of 4th (by the dominos); whenever I take the B37, I walk up to 4th - unless a B35 is right there (I mean literally, at the stop.. IDC if I see one making the turnaround at the lot/at the termninal there)

Yesterday I started my trip off with the B35 (since dollar cabs run no further west than the Brighton).... It was well before your presence on a B35 anyway (around 5am), so we wouldn't have ran into each other either way.....

Curious... what was the most amt. of B35's you saw on layover (on the Brownsville end) ?

The B43 is boring to me, I always hated riding it (I had a legit reason to use the route). Then again I live Brooklyn and fanned this borough the least, when I went busfanning regularly I usually fanned Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Most of my BK busfanning was Flatbush routes, B68, B103 and the B6. I still have yet to ride any routes in the Red Hook area  :lol: Since you live in Queens you might like the 43 if you never been to the neighborhoods it travels though, one of my favorite aspects of busfanning is seeing different neighborhoods & people.

Bx8 & B68 are my favorite routes in the poll, Since you have a liking for Orion CNG's I'd say the Bx8 since you would have an higher chance of getting one of those buses on that route, I been on all those routes in the poll except for the Bx46 & B69, I enjoyed riding all of them except for the B43.

I voted Bx31 in the poll since it's one of my home routes so you would get to pass by my neighborhood while on it but in all honesty the route is boring. The headways are nothing special and overcrowding isn't a huge issue. In addition to that Eastchester Road doesn't have a major draw to pull in folks from outside of the Northeast Bronx. 

I personally need to ride more of the heavy hitter routes outside of the Bx12 but haven't had an excuse to commute outside of my regular pattern. Given I work full-time and have hobbies other than transportation, it's difficult to find random excuses to take say the B6 or B46 which are on the other side of the city from where I am. 

The B43 is boring to me....

Same here, and I've gone as far as to have thought about why that is.... The conclusion I've drawn is that too much of the residential properties in the areas (plural) it passes through look the same - which can have you dozing off real quick if you have to ride that route for any long a duration..... Doesn't help that the people in those areas look/act just as bored being there, than riders of our ilk (that believes as such w/ the B43) finding the ride as boring itself....

After having left Greenpoint, the closer you get to Broadway & the closer you get to Fulton, the more full-of-life the areas get....

The whole thing is why I look to take the B43 afterwards, whenever I take the B32 from Queens..... It's a route where I could get a good nap on, all the way from Freeman to Empire (after the turn).... Then I have to walk south & east from that point on.... I can seldom ever get a good nap in on the B46 from WBP (if I take the B32 the whole way), even though the ride is just as long-winded (WBP to Church) - for totally different reasons....

I did some fanning yesterday also.... Don't ask me how I managed to turn a NJ trip (which was what I initially wanted to do) into a Suffolk one.... Might do a trip report if I don't procrastinate long enough..... I'd have to say it's one of the better ones I've engaged in - and didn't have to ride out to Riverhead to do it.....

Anyway, as for a possible future endeavor.... Instead of selecting a choice in the poll, I'd suggest creating an itinerary that consists of solely JG routes (I'm saying that, solely based on the majority of the poll choices themselves).... Now that I mention that, TBH, it's something I always wanted to do (except, to ride every single JG route in one shot), but never got around to it..... Maybe that's something I'll focus more on in 2017 - "theme" based trips, instead of random, unplanned ass ones like I did yesterday.....

As for this one (trip)... Well, as least you see that the B35 never terminates at Rockaway.... LOL ! Also, being a resident of this neighborhood, it makes no real difference to me if the LTD or the local is embarked on.... I tend to shoot for locals whenever I get off the (F), since there is there is culture of express-a-holicism.....

The 39th st portion has always been underrated... It consists of factory workers (of/in Sunset Park), and basically Sunset park patrons riding b/w 5th av & the Brighton line (folks coming off the (D), inclusive)..... The #1 thing I abhor about that portion of the B35 is the fact that shoppers of that Jewish supermarket park & maneuver around the store wherever & however the f*** they want to - and they take their sweet ass time to move out of the way for oncoming traffic too..... The narrow portion of 39th (b/w 5th & the (D)) doesn't even bother me all that much....

You realize you just took a shot of a bathroom with #353, right :lol:... Especially when it gets dark out, man....

Even since they fixed up the area a bit, it still smells like f*** over there.... I refuse to wait for the B35 anywhere west of 4th (by the dominos); whenever I take the B37, I walk up to 4th - unless a B35 is right there (I mean literally, at the stop.. IDC if I see one making the turnaround at the lot/at the termninal there)

Yesterday I started my trip off with the B35 (since dollar cabs run no further west than the Brighton).... It was well before your presence on a B35 anyway (around 5am), so we wouldn't have ran into each other either way.....

Curious... what was the most amt. of B35's you saw on layover (on the Brownsville end) ?

That seems like an interesting idea (all of/as many JG routes as possible in one trip). I may do that probably in the summer or so, since there's more daylight (much better for me to take shots with my camera, my phone can be a hit or miss at night). 

I wanted to take the LTD since I wanted to ride the full route. Now, I'll probably go back to Brownsville (eventually) to ride the local, to see if there is any difference between it and the LTD. 

I know I saw 5 buses on layover on two occasions during the time I was there (the least at any given time was 2). I don't remember though, if at any point, there was 6. 

The B43 is boring to me, I always hated riding it (I had a legit reason to use the route). Then again I live Brooklyn and fanned this borough the least, when I went busfanning regularly I usually fanned Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Most of my BK busfanning was Flatbush routes, B68, B103 and the B6. I still have yet to ride any routes in the Red Hook area  :lol: Since you live in Queens you might like the 43 if you never been to the neighborhoods it travels though, one of my favorite aspects of busfanning is seeing different neighborhoods & people.

Bx8 & B68 are my favorite routes in the poll, Since you have a liking for Orion CNG's I'd say the Bx8 since you would have an higher chance of getting one of those buses on that route, I been on all those routes in the poll except for the Bx46 & B69, I enjoyed riding all of them except for the B43.

I regularly take the B62, so I'm familiar with that portion of the B62. Generally when I ride these buses, I ride for the full length. I've taken the B43 a few times, but they weren't for fanning (nor have I taken the full route), so that's why I listed it on the popular. Nevertheless, thanks for the tip.

I don't ever remember taking either the Bx8 or the B68, so that'll be a first for me. The Bx8 would be the hardest to get to (of all the ones on the poll), because I tend to take the bus from the end where its the farthest from another train or bus route first (I don't want to have to deal with all the walking after fanning the routes). 

I voted Bx31 in the poll since it's one of my home routes so you would get to pass by my neighborhood while on it but in all honesty the route is boring. The headways are nothing special and overcrowding isn't a huge issue. In addition to that Eastchester Road doesn't have a major draw to pull in folks from outside of the Northeast Bronx. 

I personally need to ride more of the heavy hitter routes outside of the Bx12 but haven't had an excuse to commute outside of my regular pattern. Given I work full-time and have hobbies other than transportation, it's difficult to find random excuses to take say the B6 or B46 which are on the other side of the city from where I am. 

Personally, I'm not worried about the headways, since I can always make time, however it is mainly for the experience. While I tend to like the heavier routes (because they usually go through more areas), it can sometimes be a hassle for me when I observe how many people are getting on & off. Sometimes I like myself an easy-going route (like the Bx46) because its faster and whatnot, doesn't make too many stops.

I voted for the Bx36 since you'll mostly get Orion VII CNG's on that route. You should start riding them as the 2003 models are due to be retired very soon.

Okay, that's good to know. How soon are they planning to retire them?

- I know I saw 5 buses on layover on two occasions during the time I was there (the least at any given time was 2). I don't remember though, if at any point, there was 6. 

-The Bx8 would be the hardest to get to (of all the ones on the poll), because I tend to take the bus from the end where its the farthest from another train or bus route first (I don't want to have to deal with all the walking after fanning the routes). 

- Personally, I'm not worried about the headways, since I can always make time, however it is mainly for the experience. While I tend to like the heavier routes (because they usually go through more areas), it can sometimes be a hassle for me when I observe how many people are getting on & off. Sometimes I like myself an easy-going route (like the Bx46) because its faster and whatnot, doesn't make too many stops.-

1] I'd say 3 or 4 is typical.... anything less than 2, and I start saying to myself, there's some sort of problem...

If I take the (L) & see that there's no buses at the terminal, I continue walking over to church for a dollar cab....

2] If I'm getting that right, you look to ride some route the whole way through, in the direction of w/e subway it serves?

I have this tendency to (want to) fan east-west routes in the easterly direction & north-south routes in the northerly direction....

I don't mind the walking from one terminal to another terminal, if it means me riding the full route of that bus (which is something I tend to aim for as well)... Although it technically counts as a ride, Yuki-ing it up (meaning, riding on multiple buses for 5 mins. at a time) feels cheap to me; like why bother - especially when the waits are far longer than those 5 mins on a lot of occasions for these buses.....

3] The ideal route I like fanning is the long winded route with lots of turns that go in the middle of nowhere.... This is why the NJT #409 is one of my favorite routes to fan.... In terms of urban routes, I tend to avoid the heavy routes if I don't ride them from either end terminal... The "moderate distanced, moderate utilized routes is more my cup of tea (which is why I tend to fan Queens routes out of all the boroughs the most)...

My only favorite portion of B43 when it passes on Empire Blvd to Flatbush Av and Ocean Av.

Lol....

1] I'd say 3 or 4 is typical.... anything less than 2, and I start saying to myself, there's some sort of problem...

If I take the (L) & see that there's no buses at the terminal, I continue walking over to church for a dollar cab....

2] If I'm getting that right, you look to ride some route the whole way through, in the direction of w/e subway it serves?

I have this tendency to (want to) fan east-west routes in the easterly direction & north-south routes in the northerly direction....

I don't mind the walking from one terminal to another terminal, if it means me riding the full route of that bus (which is something I tend to aim for as well)... Although it technically counts as a ride, Yuki-ing it up (meaning, riding on multiple buses for 5 mins. at a time) feels cheap to me; like why bother - especially when the waits are far longer than those 5 mins on a lot of occasions for these buses.....

3] The ideal route I like fanning is the long winded route with lots of turns that go in the middle of nowhere.... This is why the NJT #409 is one of my favorite routes to fan.... In terms of urban routes, I tend to avoid the heavy routes if I don't ride them from either end terminal... The "moderate distanced, moderate utilized routes is more my cup of tea (which is why I tend to fan Queens routes out of all the boroughs the most)...

Lol....

2) Yes, I tend to use the bus towards the direction of a subway. In the case of the B35 LTD, the walking time from the Sunset Park end is greater to the subway, but I am closer to the (L) , so that's what made it convenient for me (I'm even closer to the (R) , but I want to deal with it as least as possible, the damn train is just too unreliable to even go one stop). In most cases though, I take it in the direction towards a subway station. If both terminals are at subway stations, then I more or less do what you described up there. As for those short trips, I tend to avoid those. In certain cases, I've had to do it, like if the distance between two bus routes is too long/hassle to walk (mainly suburbs), then I resort to that. 

3) I tend to like the longer routes (that go out an about). I know there's a lot of NJT routes which fit that criteria, but I've never had the chance to fan those routes mainly because of the fare structure (and the fact that PATH doesn't accept transfers from MTA services). I have done it on occasion before, but I would like to fan some of those routes.

I voted for Bx6/46, simply because I'm curious about the ridership pattern for the Bx46. Every time I see that bus on Longwood Av or at the Prospect train station it looks relatively empty. Unless most of the Hunts Point riders get off at the Longwood (6) station.

Mostly likely what you're seeing is rather it in terms of ridership on the Bx46, unless something's changed. Now, if/when I decide to do that combo, I don't know with what route to start it off. 

Archived