•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -

MTA board member slams the agency for misleading New Yorkers about delays in subway service

• Please log in to reply
    130 replies to this topic

#1 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 27,040 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY & New York, NY

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

MTA board member slams the agency for misleading New Yorkers about delays in subway service

mta24n-2-web.jpg
    MTA board member Charles Moerdler blasted the agency for putting out "largely uninformative data" about delays.  (NICOLAS ENRIQUEZ©/NICOLAS ENRIQUEZ©)
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Monday, January 23, 2017, 6:12 PM

Stats the problem with the trains!

The MTA wants to dig into riders’ pockets for more money — but not tell them just how bad the ride has gotten.

“Service as a whole ranges in the view of the ridership as somewhere between poor and forget about it,” MTA board member Charles Moerdler said Monday.

He ripped into the agency for giving out “largely uninformative data" about delays and keeping the riding public and board members in the dark about its efforts to keep trains flowing as smooth as possible.

NYC commuter allegedly draws gun on MTA worker over subway delays

His blistering criticism was shared by Andrew Albert, an MTA board member and rider advocate who complained that delays are broadly categorized and vague.

“Anybody that rides the system frequently knows your overall trip time appears to be getting longer,” Albert said. “With the coming fare hike, we really need to be able to tell our riders what’s being done to speed their trip.”

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority on Wednesday is planning a vote on fares hikes, which are expected to jump to $3 a swipe.

Another month of stats showing pain on the train sparked the complaints about fuzzy numbers.

EXCLUSIVE: MTA moves to raise subway fare to $3 per ride

Train cars continue to break down at an ever-increasing rate. They now travel 16% fewer miles before a malfunction over a 12-month period ending in November.

turnstile.jpg
    The MTA on Wednesday plans to vote on raising fare hikes to $3.  (DAVID HANDSCHUH/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

Clunkers like the R32 trains — the oldest model, riding the tracks on the A, C and J/Z lines — saw the distance traveled before a breakdown shrink 32%, to 32,327 miles.

Riders on board every model of train, except for the newest model that runs on the No. 7 line, saw breakdowns happen more frequently.

All but four of the 20 major train lines saw fewer trains sticking to its schedule over a 12-month period ending in November.

4 beeps back plan to slash MTA costs for low-income New Yorkers

In November alone, 60,274 trains ran behind schedule — an increase of nearly 20% compared to the same month in 2015.

“Trains aren’t getting through the system,” said Ellyn Shannon, associate director of the Permanent Citizens Advisory Committee to the MTA. “When trains aren’t reaching their destination, then you’re not running as many as you’re saying.”

NYC Transit President Ronnie Hakim responded to the criticism by saying an internal team of subway and bus officials are looking at transit systems in other countries that report more detailed operations data. She said detailed figures could be presented to the board as early as next month.

“A lot of work is going on behind these pages and behind this data,” she said.

Source: http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.2953806

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8, 10 February 2017 - 03:39 PM.

BxM1-RIVERDALE1_zpsb9eeb015.gif

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN - BUY "MADE IN USA" PRODUCTS

#2 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 27,040 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

If there's a lot of work going on with the data, then let's see it.   I'm just glad that the (MTA) is actually admitting the truth here, which is that service is worsening and not just a little bit either.  Now the question is what are they going to do with the data to improve it?  For example, what are they doing with the current fleet to ensure fewer breakdowns?  The general consensus has been that the delays are primarily caused by passengers.  I'm not so sure I buy that. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8, 10 February 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#3 Jdog14

Jdog14
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPip
    • 985 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:19 PM

The general consensus has been that the delays are primarily caused by passengers.  I'm not so sure I buy that. 

It's pretty true. I witnessed this firsthand on the C train few months ago. We left the terminal (168) on time. Then as we progressed down the line, by the time we got to Hoyt, I believe the train had been 10 minutes late which prompted it to be sent express. The problem is passengers like trying to fit themselves in the trains. Everytime those doors have to be reopened (or even stay open longer cause people don't clear the doorways) it causes a delay. This is multiplied with every station. Merging trains also can have some effect.

#4 paulrivera

paulrivera
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,164 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

Andrew Albert and Charles Moerdler for (MTA) Chairman!

PACIS%20display%20D%20train%20smaller_zp

Can't come soon enough...

#5 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 27,040 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:59 PM

It's pretty true. I witnessed this firsthand on the C train few months ago. We left the terminal (168) on time. Then as we progressed down the line, by the time we got to Hoyt, I believe the train had been 10 minutes late which prompted it to be sent express. The problem is passengers like trying to fit themselves in the trains. Everytime those doors have to be reopened (or even stay open longer cause people don't clear the doorways) it causes a delay. This is multiplied with every station. Merging trains also can have some effect.

People are squeezing themselves onto trains because of the delays/unreliable service. If you have to be somewhere like work for example, well if you've been waiting for a train for "X" amount of minutes when they're hasn't been one, well you squeeze on that train.  I definitely give myself extra time when taking the subway, but no more than 30 extra minutes.  After that it seems absurd to give extra time for such a short distance (two stops most of the time). Passengers squeezing onto trains certainly doesn't excuse the high amount of breakdowns.  Seems like they're slipping on maintenance, or the quality of these newer cars aren't cutting it or both.  

Andrew Albert and Charles Moerdler for  (MTA) Chairman!

I've always loved Charles.  Andrew I've seen in person in the elevator when I was going to one of the (MTA) board meetings to speak.  Pretty down-to-earth guy...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8, 10 February 2017 - 06:03 PM.

#6 Jemorie

Jemorie
    • Pip
    • 44 posts
    • LocationNY

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:08 PM

People are squeezing themselves onto trains because of the delays/unreliable service. If you have to be somewhere like work for example, well if you've been waiting for a train for "X" amount of minutes when they're hasn't been one, well you squeeze on that train.  I definitely give myself extra time when taking the subway, but no more than 30 extra minutes.  After that it seems absurd to give extra time for such a short distance (two stops most of the time). Passengers squeezing onto trains certainly doesn't excuse the high amount of breakdowns.  Seems like they're slipping on maintenance, or the quality of these newer cars aren't cutting it or both.

the new subway cars all run on the most demanding lines in the system and those lines run full-time and have heavy ridership

#7 Jdog14

Jdog14
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPip
    • 985 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

I agree that if the service is unreliable, then you would take whatever does come whenever that is.

The trains tend to crawl because of the high amounts of train traffic on the tracks. These signals only allow for a max of 2 minutes (I believe, may be wrong) and trains are scheduled as such. Lex in particular I notice trains are one behind the other.

As for maintenance, something you have to realize is that said cars run 24/7 in some cases. These cars also aren't ''new" anymore as some of them are over a decade old already. After a few years any machine with pristine maintenance becomes less reliable especially as parts become obsolete.

Door problems will happen when you constantly have people prying them open trying to get on the train (that just messes up the doors and eventually they give up the ghost).

Edited by Jdog14, 10 February 2017 - 08:21 PM.

#8 Around the Horn

Around the Horn
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 5,785 posts
    • LocationAcross the Verrazano from Shaolin Land...

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:37 PM

Passengers squeezing onto trains certainly doesn't excuse the high amount of breakdowns. 

Passengers squeezing onto trains is whats causing a majority of the delays and breakdowns

"Most surely in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alteration of night and day, and the ships that run in the sea with that which profits men, and the changing of the winds and clouds made subservient between the heavens and the earth, there are signs for a people who understand"

"We can disagree and still love each other unless your disagreement is rooted in oppression and denial of my right to exist." James Baldwin

M%2096%20St_zps56dx2ako.gif

"Mercury melted when the Sun rose,The storm struck when the heart sighed "I can't live without someone from the heart"-Dil Se

#9 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 27,040 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:44 PM

Passengers squeezing onto trains is whats causing a majority of the delays and breakdowns

Yeah right. It can't possibly be due to the (MTA)... If that is the case, it should be well.documented, and the (MTA) should be looking for ways to remedy the problem. Those people are squeezing on those trains because so many of them are delayed in the first place.

I go back to this comment made in the article:

“Trains aren’t getting through the system,” said Ellyn Shannon, associate director of the Permanent Citizens Advisory Committee to the MTA. “When trains aren’t reaching their destination, then you’re not running as many as you’re saying.”

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8, 11 February 2017 - 08:48 PM.

#10 Around the Horn

Around the Horn
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 5,785 posts
    • LocationAcross the Verrazano from Shaolin Land...

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:51 AM

Jeez. Where do I begin?

1. I never said delays weren't the (MTA) 's "fault". If you'll notice, I said the passengers caused "a majority" of the delays. On no way did I suggest it was fully passengers' fault or or the MTA had no responsibility for the delays in the system.

2. It is well documented and virtually every article on the subject notes the increased dwell times. It's relatively common sense, and this has been mentioned over and over again on the forums, that longer dwell times at stations create delays that cascade further down the line. 10 extra seconds turns to 20 extra seconds at the next and then 30 extra seconds at the next and so on. In fact if you were to look at the SAS FEIS, they specifically say Lex is delay prone due to dwell times at Grand Central during rush hour. It takes too long to empty the platform, meaning the next train is coming in as people from the previous one are still on the platform, gumming up the works.

3. Almost every article on the subject of delays mentions platform conductors, who provide an additional set of eyes and ears on the platform, monitoring the boarding process and ensuring that dwell times do not get too long. There have already been some positive effects on the Lex and the pilot program was expanded.

4. The person from the article you quoted clearly has no idea how the subway actually works. "Trains aren't reaching their destination" ?! Are you f**king kidding me? Of course their reaching their destination, slower than they should. But to suggest they aren't reaching their destination is either cheap sensationalism, which people eat up like sheep, that person has their head in the sand or they have no idea what their taking about.

If these are the kind of people who are going to advocate for better service, then god help us...

"Most surely in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alteration of night and day, and the ships that run in the sea with that which profits men, and the changing of the winds and clouds made subservient between the heavens and the earth, there are signs for a people who understand"

"We can disagree and still love each other unless your disagreement is rooted in oppression and denial of my right to exist." James Baldwin

M%2096%20St_zps56dx2ako.gif

"Mercury melted when the Sun rose,The storm struck when the heart sighed "I can't live without someone from the heart"-Dil Se