Gov. Cuomo’s executive budget includes hidden $65M cut in MTA funds

GojiMet86

Well what options are there to LaGuardia that would be cheaper than what's on the table (from an infrastructure standpoint)?

It wouldn't be cheaper, but it would be far better.

Think of it like JFK airtrain - how that has access to both Howard Beach and Sutphin Blvd.

LGA airtrain - subway from 125th St. (and 2nd Ave. which actually won't be in the way of SAS Phase II) to Randalls Island, that rises to "elevated" somewhere in Randalls Island, goes over the generally industrial area at Lawrence Point and Bowery Bay wastewater treatment plant, reaches the airport, and continues to Willets Point.

No residential areas disturbed.

Think of it like JFK airtrain - how that has access to both Howard Beach and Sutphin Blvd.

LGA airtrain - subway from 125th St. (and 2nd Ave. which actually won't be in the way of SAS Phase II) to Randalls Island, that rises to "elevated" somewhere in Randalls Island, goes over the generally industrial area at Lawrence Point and Bowery Bay wastewater treatment plant, reaches the airport, and continues to Willets Point.

This I would actually do as subway and possibly an additional branch of the SAS.  If done that way, it can be a best-of-both-worlds scenario as it would give those in Flushing (especially if it were also an SAS branch) a new way to get to the east side and take some pressure off the (7).  

This I would actually do as subway and possibly an additional branch of the SAS.  If done that way, it can be a best-of-both-worlds scenario as it would give those in Flushing (especially if it were also an SAS branch) a new way to get to the east side and take some pressure off the (7).

And that’s the only reason that this project makes sense—future straight-shot connectivity to the JFK going down the highway. I hope they also leave provisions to extend the AirTrain west too—to Astoria and possibly to Manhattan to replace the M60’s role as an LGA bus.

It will never replace the M60 simply because it's not supposed to be able to serve non-airport travelers; no non-transfer, non-CBD, non-airport stops allowed. If you connect AirTrain JFK that's guaranteed, because even if LGA's AirTrain is not funded with airport ticket PFCs, JFK's was, and the moment you void the non-airport agreement, the FAA is going to come knocking demanding the money be paid back.

I was aware of that, which is why I specifically phrased things the way I did:

Notice that I did not simply say “replace the M60.

This could be feasibly accomplished:

• in the LGA-bound direction, only boarding is allowed.
  • in the Manhattan-bound direction, only exiting is allowed.
By controlling which platforms are entry-only or exit-only, the service plays by the rules.

Of course, the restrictions are really administrative problems, and not physical ones. Let the politicians work this out.

Nope, not as "subway" as in part of NYCT. "Subway" as in underground at 125th and 2nd. A dedicated ROW with a higher fare just like JFK AirTrain, and "connection" - no transfers. It would be primarily for airport travelers. It would allow people who were willing to pay $5 easier access to Manhattan from those parts of Queens, but it's primary purpose would be to expedite trips to the airport and eliminate M60 congestion so that particular bus is less of a hell ride, although, like the Q10 it would remain an option for those who don't want to pay the $5 to turn their hour long bus ride into 5 minutes on the AirTrain. No stop on Randall's either. Give the airport passengers the fastest possible ride, and AirTrain shouldn't be for sports teams travelling to/from Randall's.

Also eliminates the adminstrative problems talked about above.

Nope, not as "subway" as in part of NYCT. "Subway" as in underground at 125th and 2nd. A dedicated ROW with a higher fare just like JFK AirTrain, and "connection" - no transfers. It would be primarily for airport travelers. It would allow people who were willing to pay $5 easier access to Manhattan from those parts of Queens, but it's primary purpose would be to expedite trips to the airport and eliminate M60 congestion so that particular bus is less of a hell ride, although, like the Q10 it would remain an option for those who don't want to pay the $5 to turn their hour long bus ride into 5 minutes on the AirTrain. No stop on Randall's either. Give the airport passengers the fastest possible ride, and AirTrain shouldn't be for sports teams travelling to/from Randall's.

I get that, but I think it would be better as subway, including a stop as noted at Randalls Island (where such a line would go above ground) before continuing on such an ROW to LaGuardia and then continue to Willets Points to meet the (7) there.  This format would both benefit airport passengers coming from the east side of Manhattan and those in Flushing who only have to ride the (7) one stop to Willets Point, taking major pressure off the (7) west of Willets Point.   Such also might allow for some development of Randalls Island having more than just the Triboro Bridge to get there.

I get that, but I think it would be better as subway, including a stop as noted at Randalls Island (where such a line would go above ground) before continuing on such an ROW to LaGuardia and then continue to Willets Points to meet the (7) there.  This format would both benefit airport passengers coming from the east side of Manhattan and those in Flushing who only have to ride the (7) one stop to Willets Point, taking major pressure off the (7) west of Willets Point.   Such also might allow for some development of Randalls Island having more than just the Triboro Bridge to get there.

This legitimately makes sense. It could reduce crowding on the (7) and put more people onto the SAS, if a connection is made.

Well what options are there to LaGuardia that would be cheaper than what's on the table (from an infrastructure standpoint)?

This legitimately makes sense. It could reduce crowding on the (7) and put more people onto the SAS, if a connection is made.

I brought this discussion over to the thread we have for preliminary engineering on the LaGuardia AirTrain.

Why spend so many billions of dollars on something that will only be used by a couple thousand people per day? There are *SO* many better options than this. 

Pretty sure it won't get federal funding (discrimination) just look at what happen in SF with the Oakland Connector.

Archived