Real Time Data for B, D, N, Q, R, W in CityMapper App

Abba

Yes it is for customer convenience. They chose to not create a (N) to 96th Street program to ensure crews put up the (Q) program as instructed. 

Yeah that doesn't make any sense at all. 

If that was the case then why would the actual (N) Train Schedule have that + symbol indicating those goes to 96th Street? Plus I never heard of that rule before.

Just to make sure people understand what’s being argued here: this is analogous to the chicken or the egg problem.

Did they not create the (N) to 96 Street program for the sake of customer convenience…

…or did they use the (Q) via Sea Beach program because of the lack of the former and it just so happened to be convenient?

I’m leaning towards the former since it’s the most logical.

Yeah that doesn't make any sense at all. 

If that was the case then why would the actual (N) Train Schedule have that + symbol indicating those goes to 96th Street? Plus I never heard of that rule before.

I personally don't agree with the (Q) via Sea Beach for that exact reason but thats the explanation I got from some MTA employees.

Here's why these trains are signed as they are. Spoiler alert: it has nothing to do with signage capabilities. The former (N) short-turns to 57 Street have since been labelled as (Q) trains via Sea Beach in an effort to reduce passenger confusion. Inbound Sea Beach riders during the AM rush really don't care what train comes, as long as it's going into Manhattan. The possibility of passenger confusion presents itself at 57 Street. Whereas previously those (N) short-turns simply stayed at 57 Street until they headed back downtown, they now must run to 96 Street as it's former terminal is now a through station. Many riders looking for Astoria service will simply see the (N) on the side and bulkhead signs, ignoring the fact the side signs display "96 ST-2 AV". Those assumptions will inevitably lead to holding delays as the train crew explains to the passengers that, despite the (N) signage, the train is not going to Ditmars Blvd. It's kind of annoying to us rail fans, but if it works well for the riding public without any adverse side effects, so be it.

My question about this new system is if it can it detect if there is big delay or not.

I did test it again today it was good.no trains were missing from the feed and most arrived within 3 minutes of the apps arrival time.

My question about this new system is if it can it detect if there is big delay or not.

I did test it again today it was good.no trains were missing from the feed and most arrived within 3 minutes of the apps arrival time.

I don't see why not it know's where the train is for the most part. The one thing I'd say is it's probably a little slower than an AVL system (IRT) if the ATS updates every 30 sec's this maybe every 50-120 sec depending on the environment.  If it's Bluetooth that 2.4Ghz don't like water. The new 5.0 standard was ratified a few months ago. so we'll see a lot of advancements over 4.0 and 4.2 hopefully it'll make it's way to the MTA.

Here's why these trains are signed as they are. Spoiler alert: it has nothing to do with signage capabilities. The former (N) short-turns to 57 Street have since been labelled as (Q) trains via Sea Beach in an effort to reduce passenger confusion. Inbound Sea Beach riders during the AM rush really don't care what train comes, as long as it's going into Manhattan. The possibility of passenger confusion presents itself at 57 Street. Whereas previously those (N) short-turns simply stayed at 57 Street until they headed back downtown, they now must run to 96 Street as it's former terminal is now a through station. Many riders looking for Astoria service will simply see the (N) on the side and bulkhead signs, ignoring the fact the side signs display "96 ST-2 AV". Those assumptions will inevitably lead to holding delays as the train crew explains to the passengers that, despite the (N) signage, the train is not going to Ditmars Blvd. It's kind of annoying to us rail fans, but if it works well for the riding public without any adverse side effects, so be it.

Lance is right. Internally those (Q) trains via Sea Beach are in fact (N) trains. I've seen it happen a lot of times, for example, people at East 180th will just see a (5) sign and think "Oh look this trains going to Dyre" when instead it's going to Neried. SAS riders aren't as confused when they see a Southbound (N) on Second Avenue.

Lance is right. Internally those (Q) trains via Sea Beach are in fact (N) trains. I've seen it happen a lot of times, for example, people at East 180th will just see a (5) sign and think "Oh look this trains going to Dyre" when instead it's going to Neried. SAS riders aren't as confused when they see a Southbound (N) on Second Avenue.

Some people are still morons though. I’ve met folks who were confused by a letter train that was “not supposed to be there.” One woman asked if the (Q) on the Manhattan-bound track at Bay Parkway was going to Manhattan. I told her: “There’s nowhere else for it to go but Manhattan.” Never mind the flashing displays on the exterior that said “Broadway Express.” These people can be oblivious and rely solely on single cues like the letter on the train. To them, the track layout, FIND displays, and train announcements provide no context.

To be fair, most riders have no idea of the track layout and really have no interest in figuring that out. It's all irrelevant information for them. You're absolutely right in regards to the side signs, the announcements and the FIND signs/strip maps, but really, what can you do?

Some people are still morons though. I’ve met folks who were confused by a letter train that was “not supposed to be there.” One woman asked if the (Q) on the Manhattan-bound track at Bay Parkway was going to Manhattan. I told her: “There’s nowhere else for it to go but Manhattan.” Never mind the flashing displays on the exterior that said “Broadway Express.” These people can be oblivious and rely solely on single cues like the letter on the train. To them, the track layout, FIND displays, and train announcements provide no context.

You should have seen the ruckus when a Manhattan bound (D) train showed up at Bay Ridge Avenue one morning...  :lol:

I remember this lady was using google maps and she wanted to get to Forest Hills. While her "location" on gmaps was Lex/59, she was on my (1) train @ 116/Columbia. (she started @Penn). And then she asked me if this train was an (E) train...

can't even listen to announcements lol... "Bronx bound 1 train"

People, especially tourists need to learn how to read a freaking map honestly

I'd love to see a (G) train rerouted through Manhattan, LMAO

That'd be awesome lol

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I'm very conflicted about the map/way finding argument. Even to an inexperienced subway rider, it would take 20 seconds max to figure out where you need to go.

Also, while this kind of seems upside down, I feel like third party apps are for more experienced riders, and just looking at a map is better for new users. Anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

That happened a while back. Pulled into 34 Street-Herald Square on the (D) track.

What were the reactions like?

Then there was the (B) that wound up on the (G) line! (and this before the (G) got 68's, so it was all the more odd looking).

How did that happen? Haha

I'm very conflicted about the map/way finding argument. Even to an inexperienced subway rider, it would take 20 seconds max to figure out where you need to go.

It's well documented that people who are from out of town generally have a hard time deciphering our maps, particularly if they're used to the no-frills diagrams that exist in the rest of the world.

It's well documented that people who are from out of town generally have a hard time deciphering our maps, particularly if they're used to the no-frills diagrams that exist in the rest of the world.

It’s well-documented that even residents of New York City cannot read the map properly. While cars can switch lanes and end up anywhere because the roads are all connected, some folks apparently think that the train has some steering wheel that lets the train operator switch tracks at will and bore holes to access other intersecting tunnels.

Can you give some funny examples?

It’s well-documented that even residents of New York City cannot read the map properly. While cars can switch lanes and end up anywhere because the roads are all connected, some folks apparently think that the train has some steering wheel that lets the train operator switch tracks at will and bore holes to access other intersecting tunnels.

I bet they think that trains are driven by a steering wheel.

Archived