New Fares in Effect 3/19/17

IAlam

I noticed that City Ticket has been excluded from this round of fare increases, it may be related to the current efforts of lowering fares in NYC.

LIRR:

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/hearings/2017FareTolls/FaresLIRR.html

MNR:

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/hearings/2017FareTolls/FaresMNR.html

Not really.  It's more about keeping the fare attractive so that those people who may consider using the LIRR or MNRR on weekends over the subway will do so.  There are plenty of empty seats on some trains, so might as well have them filled.  Another thing that has been going on lately is a push to make some of these stations more accessible by either having current shuttle buses make more stops or by expanding service.  

Not really.  It's more about keeping the fare attractive so that those people who may consider using the LIRR or MNRR on weekends over the subway will do so.  There are plenty of empty seats on some trains, so might as well have them filled.  Another thing that has been going on lately is a push to make some of these stations more accessible by either having current shuttle buses make more stops or by expanding service.  

Like the Hudson Rail Link

Like the Hudson Rail Link

Yeah.  Apparently some people on Palisade Avenue near Kappock are not too thrilled that there isn't a stop there.  There are several large co-ops there and they have to walk up a good 70 stairs (according to them) to get to their residence at night, so they've started a petition. I saw it posted at the Spuyten Duyvil station yesterday. Additionally, I have requested that the (MTA) look into weekend shuttle service for both the Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil stations to make them more accessible.  Most of the people using the stations on the weekends either drive to them or live near or along Palisade Avenue and just walk down to them, but others aren't so fortunate.  I can and do walk to them sometimes from my place, but if I have bags, I'm not interested in walking uphill back to my apartment, though I have done it.  Therefore I usually take the express bus back. My thinking is that ridership could be much higher if they ran such service.  Some folks also take the Bx10 and walk which I have done as well, but that's really only helpful going to the Spuyten Duyvil station (the Riverdale station involves uphill walking to and from it from Riverdale Avenue).  Coming from the Spuyten Duyvil station involves quite a walk uphill as well as walking up several different staircases and the Riverdale station is equally brutal.

Yeah.  Apparently some people on Palisade Avenue near Kappock are not too thrilled that there isn't a stop there.  There are several large co-ops there and they have to walk up a good 70 stairs (according to them) to get to their residence at night, so they've started a petition. I saw it posted at the Spuyten Duyvil station yesterday. Additionally, I have requested that the (MTA) look into weekend shuttle service for both the Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil stations to make them more accessible.  Most of the people using the stations on the weekends either drive to them or live near or along Palisade Avenue and just walk down to them, but others aren't so fortunate.  I can and do walk to them sometimes from my place, but if I have bags, I'm not interested in walking uphill back to my apartment, though I have done it.  Therefore I usually take the express bus back. My thinking is that ridership could be much higher if they ran such service.  Some folks also take the Bx10 and walk which I have done as well, but that's really only helpful going to the Spuyten Duyvil station (the Riverdale station involves uphill walking to and from it from Riverdale Avenue).  Coming from the Spuyten Duyvil station involves quite a walk uphill as well as walking up several different staircases and the Riverdale station is equally brutal.

I often see Hudson Rail Link buses dropping off commuters in front of their doors at the apartments along Palisade near Kappock in the evenings. That's interesting because that street is not on the official bus route. 

I often see Hudson Rail Link buses dropping off commuters in front of their doors at the apartments along Palisade near Kappock in the evenings. That's interesting because that street is not on the official bus route. 

Also, I agree some weekend service would be helpful, especially given the uphill walks. But maybe only for every other train (hourly).

Also, I agree some weekend service would be helpful, especially given the uphill walks. But maybe only for every other train (hourly).

The Hudson Rail Link is very clicky. Some of those drivers have been around for a while and know the passengers by name. When the holidays roll around, some passengers will give the drivers tips for those drop-offs or for them holding the bus for them when they're a bit late. I never tip because I don't use the buses like that and never ask for such drop-offs. Some of these folks live in doorman buildings where they expect such services, but for me it's a very quick walk so I wouldn't accept even if offered.

There was one driver who was very nice and would wait for me, but he has left, and I don't know the others like that.

As for service on weekends, you likely could run buses to meet each train to and from each station. The loops take about 15 minutes so it's doable. You would need two drivers to meet each train (one for Croton-Harmon bound trains and one for Grand Central bound trains).

As for service on weekends, you likely could run buses to meet each train to and from each station. The loops take about 15 minutes so it's doable. You would need two drivers to meet each train (one for Croton-Harmon bound trains and one for Grand Central bound trains).

The northbound and southbound trains come around the same time on the weekends (the northbound train is at :44 the whole day and :10 for part of the day, and the southbound train is at :42 the whole day and :11 or :12 for part of the day).

When I say part of the day, I'm referring to the times when it's 2 trains per hour

The northbound and southbound trains come around the same time on the weekends (the northbound train is at :44 the whole day and :10 for part of the day, and the southbound train is at :42 the whole day and :11 or :12 for part of the day).

When I say part of the day, I'm referring to the times when it's 2 trains per hour

I'm aware of that but I said two for a reason. The current set-up during the week seems to allow the drivers to take breaks as well. The schedule doesn't really show how many buses run to link up with each train, be it peak or off-peak, only those going to GCT. Some trains get as much as four buses. I've been requesting clearer schedules for that for some time but these buses aren't that high tech and they claim they can't use bigger buses due to some of the narrow streets that they use.

I'm aware of that but I said two for a reason. The current set-up during the week seems to allow the drivers to take breaks as well. The schedule doesn't really show how many buses run to link up with each train, be it peak or off-peak, only those going to GCT. Some trains get as much as four buses. I've been requesting clearer schedules for that for some time but these buses aren't that high tech and they claim they can't use bigger buses due to some of the narrow streets that they use.

I hope the MTA adds these shuttles to Co-op when the MNR station is built there too. As for Queens, I don't see any specific neighborhood that could be a candidate for shuttle service yet.   

I hope the MTA adds these shuttles to Co-op when the MNR station is built there too. As for Queens, I don't see any specific neighborhood that could be a candidate for shuttle service yet.

Riverdale didn't have such a service until the 90's I believe, and it helped to generate tremendous growth, esp. since parking is limited. Queens could see such a thing but maybe too car centric in parts. Northeast Queens is mainly affluent (i.e. Douglaston, Little Neck, Bay Terrace, Beechhurst and Whitestone), but those areas are also car centric.

Riverdale didn't have such a service until the 90's I believe, and it helped to generate tremendous growth, esp. since parking is limited. Queens could see such a thing but maybe too car centric in parts. Northeast Queens is mainly affluent (i.e. Douglaston, Little Neck, Bay Terrace, Beechhurst and Whitestone), but those areas are also car centric.

Who runs/operates the rail link? Does it take MetroCards?

Who runs/operates the rail link? Does it take MetroCards?

The Hudson Rail Link is operated by Logan Bus Company.  The service is basically contracted out.  If you buy a weekly or monthly MNRR pass, you can pay extra to have access to the Rail Link.  It's very cheap since it only operates on the weekday and not for all trains either.  I rarely add that to my ticket unless I'm not using anything else, so I usually take my express bus pass and dip it in the fare box.  The buses take any Metrocard just like the regular bus and you get a free transfer from it to the bus or subway. However you don't get a free transfer between the Hudson Rail Link shuttle buses.

The problem with Hudson Rail Link services in Queens is that compared to Riverdale or Spuyten Duyvil, Douglaston and Little Neck are very low-density. For areas like Bay Terrace or Bayside, the need is not that great considering that the MTA already operates the Q13 during the peak period, which directly serves Bayside LIRR, and the Q28 directly serving Broadway LIRR.

The problem with Hudson Rail Link services in Queens is that compared to Riverdale or Spuyten Duyvil, Douglaston and Little Neck are very low-density. For areas like Bay Terrace or Bayside, the need is not that great considering that the MTA already operates the Q13 during the peak period, which directly serves Bayside LIRR, and the Q28 directly serving Broadway LIRR.

True, though there are parts of Riverdale that are low-density as well. Riverdale is a mix of both. Most of Fieldston is all homes or mansions. Same thing in Hudson Hill and parts of North Riverdale. It's one of the few places in NYC where you can find English tudors from the 1920's mixed in with co-ops or condos on the same block. A great mix of urban and suburban... Forest Hills comes to mind but it's not a mix of both since Forest Hills Gardens is almost entirely composed of private homes.

The Hudson Rail Link is operated by Logan Bus Company.  The service is basically contracted out.  If you buy a weekly or monthly MNRR pass, you can pay extra to have access to the Rail Link.  It's very cheap since it only operates on the weekday and not for all trains either.  I rarely add that to my ticket unless I'm not using anything else, so I usually take my express bus pass and dip it in the fare box.  The buses take any Metrocard just like the regular bus and you get a free transfer from it to the bus or subway. However you don't get a free transfer between the Hudson Rail Link shuttle buses.

I didn't know Logan bus still existed! I think they ran the school buses I took to school waaay back in the day. 

True, though there are parts of Riverdale that are low-density as well. Riverdale is a mix of both. Most of Fieldston is all homes or mansions. Same thing in Hudson Hill and parts of North Riverdale. It's one of the few places in NYC where you can find English tudors from the 1920's mixed in with co-ops or condos on the same block. A great mix of urban and suburban... Forest Hills comes to mind but it's not a mix of both since Forest Hills Gardens is almost entirely composed of private homes.

The LIRR for the most part has local bus service at most of their stations on the PW and a decent amount on the Main line and points south. Many of these lines provide better service than what a rail link would be able to offer. However if there is a neighborhood further away from the LIRR, that had bus, an express shuttle could potentially work. An area like North Shore Towers would be a good candidate, if it had like 15 towers instead of 3. 

The LIRR for the most part has local bus service at most of their stations on the PW and a decent amount on the Main line and points south. Many of these lines provide better service than what a rail link would be able to offer. However if there is a neighborhood further away from the LIRR, that had bus, an express shuttle could potentially work. An area like North Shore Towers would be a good candidate, if it had like 15 towers instead of 3. 

The North Shore Towers actually has its own private service where you can request to be shuttled to the LIRR station.  Aside from that the QM6 express bus stops right at the complex and they have their own bank and supermarket, so they really don't need any extra service. 

Actually Riverdale has a few buildings with similar shuttle service.  The Skyview-On-Hudson (co-op) offers such service to the Riverdale station, and The Arbor (luxury rentals for Columbia University grad students) also has its own shuttle service to Columbia, but I don't think it runs all of the time, so sometimes I'll see them on the express buses since they stop literally in front of the building.

Be mindful of when.

If you don't use pre-increase tickets within [two weeks] they become invalid. (editor's note: Speak English, man.....)

Not a bad idea though.

Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow

THE Hudson Valley's essential Fare-blazer

They already announced the grace periods on the pre-hike passes?

They already announced the grace periods on the pre-hike passes?

I don't think they formally did. My statement is a history based assertion.

It's standardized. A fortnight is about twenty days or three weekend cycles. Different dates may be announced but the time length is consistent.

???? Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow ????

THE Hudson Valley's essential Fare-blazer ????

Archived