Breakdancers pummel commuter refusing to make space for performance on Brooklyn train

alberchico

I hope they find these guys. It's just gone to straight violence. They should get the msg that no one wants to see them perform. Whenever they almost kick you, its scary and you flinch and there like "dont worry about it" like are u paying for my hospital bill when u do kick me in the face.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

These panhandler/performers are getting worse and worse. The new thing I've seen on the 1 recently are these 1st or 2nd grade kids trying to sell their drawings to passengers in the middle of the day when they should be in school. Ridiculous.

wtf you gotta be kidding me

I can't stand these people.

These panhandler/performers are getting worse and worse. The new thing I've seen on the 1 recently are these 1st or 2nd grade kids trying to sell their drawings to passengers in the middle of the day when they should be in school. Ridiculous.

Are you serious! That is horrible. Where are their parents? If they know about this, they should go back to parenting school. What is going on these days?

I haven't seen any lately, but I do keep an eye out for them. There were some working a (Q) train a few Saturdays ago and I saw them coming to the car and immediately walked to the one they were in previously. One of them realized that I had picked up on them and I looked at him as if to say, yes I know your BS routine and I'm not putting up with it. These people can't be making that much money to undertake such dangerous risks.

People in their 20's doing this nonsense. Go out and get a real job! Ridiculous. As a young adult, it's embarassing to see these things. I'm all for young folks hustling, but there must be more legitimate ways to do so.

I haven't seen any lately, but I do keep an eye out for them. There were some working a (Q) train a few Saturdays ago and I saw them coming to the car and immediately walked to the one they were in previously. One of them realized that I had picked up on them and I looked at him as if to say, yes I know your BS routine and I'm not putting up with it. These people can't be making that much money to undertake such dangerous risks.

People in their 20's doing this nonsense. Go out and get a real job! Ridiculous. As a young adult, it's embarassing to see these things. I'm all for young folks hustling, but there must be more legitimate ways to do so.

It'd be "tolerable" if they were original. But, if they were smarter, they'd use the videos to create a consulting business to teach strippers and other pole dancing industries how to make their routines on stages better. Gotta be better money doing that than trying to get dollar bills from straphangers.

It'd be "tolerable" if they were original. But, if they were smarter, they'd use the videos to create a consulting business to teach strippers and other pole dancing industries how to make their routines on stages better. Gotta be better money doing that than trying to get dollar bills from straphangers.

I think some people give because they feel sorry for them. Either way there is no way in hell I would be swinging around on some pole for a few dollars if that.  I actually used to give money here and there for extreme circumstances, but the begging has gotten so out of control that I stopped and I don't care what reason they give or how good their performance is.  It's like we now can no longer just commute in peace.  We have to be constantly hassled to give up our hard earned money.  It's one thing to ask and another to be almost forced into a corner and then hassled and I don't appreciate it.  These guys know exactly what they're doing.  They wait until the very last minute to dash into a car just as the doors are about to close and then you're stuck in there while they do their performance, especially on lines where you can't go in between the cars.

The subway is supposed to be about moving people from point A to point B.  If you want to solicit I can tolerate the people with their signs on the platform or whatever, but don't go asking me for money.  I think the tourists think it's cute and want to feel like they're experiencing the "New York life", so they'll give a few dollars, but for the average New Yorker who is constantly expected to tip, it isn't cute.  I mean where does it end?  You go into a café or just about any other place, and they expect you to tip now for counter service.  It's absurd.  Then you turn around and you have these guys...  <_<

More people need to stand up to these break dancers, so I applaud this guy for doing his part, wish he recovers. They could've just left and not performed (talk about greed) but they got violent instead. These people needed to be put in Jail and the city need to start cracking down on these guys (along with the ones on Times Sq)

Yeah I had these guys saying you should buy our candy for our "Basketball Team" in the middle of Central Park. I say no, they ask for the time(my phone) then they wanted to see my wallet... Got out of there as soon as possible

I think some people give because they feel sorry for them. Either way there is no way in hell I would be swinging around on some pole for a few dollars if that. I actually used to give money here and there for extreme circumstances, but the begging has gotten so out of control that I stopped and I don't care what reason they give or how good their performance is. It's like we now can no longer just commute in peace. We have to be constantly hassled to give up our hard earned money. It's one thing to ask and another to be almost forced into a corner and then hassled and I don't appreciate it. These guys know exactly what they're doing. They wait until the very last minute to dash into a car just as the doors are about to close and then you're stuck in there while they do their performance, especially on lines where you can't go in between the cars.

The subway is supposed to be about moving people from point A to point B. If you want to solicit I can tolerate the people with their signs on the platform or whatever, but don't go asking me for money. I think the tourists think it's cute and want to feel like they're experiencing the "New York life", so they'll give a few dollars, but for the average New Yorker who is constantly expected to tip, it isn't cute. I mean where does it end? You go into a café or just about any other place, and they expect you to tip now for counter service. It's absurd. Then you turn around and you have these guys... <_<

No different getting on or off the ferry either. If you stand outside Whitehall, guaranteed you could be on the phone and three people will ask for a cig or a dollar or ferry fare.

I figured out early on after moving out here that if I take a local, I avoid the "gymnasts" unless it's crossing a river.

While I don't mind musicians busking in stations or on trains outside peak period , the gymnastics needs to stop. I'd be okay with letting dancers do routines in mezzanines but a) these folks can't dance and b) they're just running scams. With all this money the city takes in taxes, why aren't there more open stages for these folks to do routines on in Manhattan parks?

No different getting on or off the ferry either. If you stand outside Whitehall, guaranteed you could be on the phone and three people will ask for a cig or a dollar or ferry fare.

I figured out early on after moving out here that if I take a local, I avoid the "gymnasts" unless it's crossing a river.

While I don't mind musicians busking in stations or on trains outside peak period , the gymnastics needs to stop. I'd be okay with letting dancers do routines in mezzanines but a) these folks can't dance and b) they're just running scams. With all this money the city takes in taxes, why aren't there more open stages for these folks to do routines on in Manhattan parks?

There are, but they want to do it on the subway cars to trap people...  Doing these stunts in the middle of the car while the others basically block the ends of the car almost traps you in that car because no one is going to make a move while the train is in between stations to move to another car for fear of getting kicked in the head by some random move that these so called dancers do.

Several few years ago, there were these "performers" that would play Michael Jackson oldies (the same song over and over again, which made it even more annoying), and they would perform right on a heavily congested street corner where I would wait for the express bus at times.  One night I got so fed up that I called the cops to have them disperse of them because we had nowhere to stand to wait for the express bus to Staten Island.  We were literally waiting in the street dodging cars as the crowd got larger around these idiots.  Cops arrived almost instantly given the location and they went scattering.  I suppose that the bank that they would perform in front of got sick of it too because they moved their act to another street corner (for a while anyway).  Now I see them in a nearby subway station on the mezzanine level performing here and there.  Makes far more sense as they are out of the way.  There's also a pair of old washed up guys that will basically blockade the 42nd street (S) car doors in the mornings and sing at the top of their lungs forcing you to listen to them.  Extremely obnoxious.

wow these f****rs attacked someones girlfriend, i'll condone an extrajudical action against these people

http://nypost.com/2017/02/24/subway-rider-beat-up-by-dancers-says-he-was-protecting-fiancee/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPFacebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow&sr_share=facebook

man i been long gone i miss the days when the only thing you dealt with on the subway is the battery 1 dolla people

ALL of the begging in trains needs to stop. There is a difference between being in a station (where it is still illegal), and literally holding people hostage in a subway car so you can try and shake them down. Not only that, it's extremely dangerous, and no one should have to be exposed to that. That's the equivalent of me tying up their ankles to a pole in a parking lot and intentionally driving inches from them at 40 MPH and telling them they should "tip" me for the adrenaline rush I just gave them.

There's a reason I don't give to anyone that asks me for money, and there's a reason you shouldn't either.

ALL of the begging in trains needs to stop. There is a difference between being in a station (where it is still illegal), and literally holding people hostage in a subway car so you can try and shake them down. 

Supposedly one of their tactics is to have one of their homies stand at the ends of the subway cars to block people from crossing in between 

Supposedly one of their tactics is to have one of their homies stand at the ends of the subway cars to block people from crossing in between 

Correct. They do this. They also love to do their shenanigans on the 75 foot equipment, as the end doors are locked.

Correct. They do this. They also love to do their shenanigans on the 75 foot equipment, as the end doors are locked.

What I would do is strengthen the law to where doing such is a $10,000 fine and 10 years in jail (unless you have an actual and legitimate permit to do such that you have to go through serious channels to get).  That I suspect would make a lot of people think twice about doing these acts.

What I would do is strengthen the law to where doing such is a $10,000 fine and 10 years in jail (unless you have an actual and legitimate permit to do such that you have to go through serious channels to get).  That I suspect would make a lot of people think twice about doing these acts.

Just the jail sentence would be sufficient. Their free prison labor would cover the fine. I fully expect some genius marketer to capitalize on that fact with products tagged “made by break dancers.”

Not only that, I've seen them deliberately pick the 59th-125th run because they know it gives them a captive audience.

It definitely sucks that the end doors are locked on 75-footers (open end doors would make for a quicker getaway), but I've seen how the end vestibules swing on those cars around turns; I don't blame the TA for not wanting to be held responsible for people being crushed.

Incidentally, I've never seen them on the R32 A consist...

Archived