MTA Bus Co. Part-Time Bus Operator Exams/Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_busco.png.6314ead1a019792535129d932c59b563.png

Part-Time Bus Operator, Exam No. 7304 & 9303

Pay: At the time of this exam the minimum salary for Bus Operator was $22.847213 per hour.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (500s) - For Medical: (N/A)

Next Training Class:

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

(Updated December 14, 2021)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's not much to study for the BOSS. It's a personality assessment where you get asked the same questions in different ways. Just answer the questions as if you're a good coworker and team player and be consistent with them. For example, if you answer a question that says it's not okay to be late 1 minute after your report time at the beginning of the day, then they're expecting you to not be 1 min late coming from your lunch break too. (Same question/concept, just posed differently)

There's not much to study for the BOSS. It's a personality assessment where you get asked the same questions in different ways. Just answer the questions as if you're a good coworker and team player and be consistent with them. For example, if you answer a question that says it's not okay to be late 1 minute after your report time at the beginning of the day, then they're expecting you to not be 1 min late coming from your lunch break too. (Same question/concept, just posed differently)

Seven, thanks so much. My main objective is to get in somewhere in TA. Whether it be in rail ops or in bus ops. Just want to do exceptionally well on the BOSS survey when presented.

From what I remember, for some of the questions, the multiple choice answers were the exact same, which was a big hint right there.

Any recommendations or good schools in Brooklyn to do the courses for the cdl ? I see a few but I want some place other people went or prefer.

I went to Ferrari. What's nice about them is that they have multiple locations, they are open 6 days a week in Brooklyn (7 days in Queens), they give you a variety of packages to pick & choose from, they also give you unlimited Defensive Driving Classes upon graduation, the US DOT certification class upon graduation, in the event you get a job which requires traveling out-of-state, a "job leads" booklet/packet, and the option of taking your road test in a stick-shift bus, in order to avoid the new "E" restriction (click here for more information on that).

From what I remember, for some of the questions, the multiple choice answers were the exact same, which was a big hint right there.

I went to Ferrari. What's nice about them is that they have multiple locations, they are open 6 days a week in Brooklyn (7 days in Queens), they give you a variety of packages to pick & choose from, they also give you unlimited Defensive Driving Classes upon graduation, the US DOT certification class upon graduation, in the event you get a job which requires traveling out-of-state, a "job leads" booklet/packet, and the option of taking your road test in a stick-shift bus, in order to avoid the new "E" restriction (click here for more information on that).

Thanks young. I'm going check them out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

So does anyone have an idea of how to go fulltime after being hired for part time? I haven't seen an answer to that question yet

One of the nice things with the Department of Buses is that once you pass the initial 10-day training, if you want to switch from MTA Bus Company (this exam) to either MaBSTOA or NYC Transit, you don't have to go through the intense training again. Therefore, if I was you, the next time there is an opening for another exam for either MTA Bus Company (full-time), MaBSTOA or NYC Transit, take advantage of it!!

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, I would say it's good, they just have to process at least 1,000 people first before they get to you. This can go by quicker if they fail the BOSS test, fail the drug test, etc. This will also give you time to get at least your CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), if you haven't done so already, and your CDL, if you can swing it.

Hey I ment to ask, how long does the learners permit last far? Cause right now I have my cdl class c with passenger endorsement

Hey I ment to ask, how long does the learners permit last far? Cause right now I have my cdl class c with passenger endorsement

You're allowed to renew it once after 6 months. If you need to renew it a second time, you have to take the necessary tests all over again, such as air brake, school bus, etc. The tests that you took to initially obtain your Class C you do not have to re-take.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So my list # for this exam (when there really wasn't one to begin with) is in the low 200's, and in the mail today, I received a pre-employment package inviting me down to 180 Livingston Street next Friday, July 28th, 2017 at 7:30 AM.

Providing nothing else comes up between now and then which is more important, I'll probably go down, not only with this pre-employment notice, but with the pre-employment notices I received for B/O 4600 as well, since I'm curious as far as my status since I failed the 10-day B/O training session in February of 2014, respectfully.

As far as what I wear, it won't be "business casual attire," that's for sure.

Edited by +Young+

That's great good luck. Looks like they're moving fast. My random list number is in the low 700's, how long do you think it would take to get to a list number in that range. I applied for all the other full time B/O positions but wouldn't mind starting here in the meantime.

That's great good luck. Looks like they're moving fast. My random list number is in the low 700's, how long do you think it would take to get to a list number in that range. I applied for all the other full time B/O positions but wouldn't mind starting here in the meantime.

Keep in mind that this is part-time, and as Seven mentioned in this post, this is only to work out of Spring Creek Depot in Brooklyn. Therefore, to be honest, I would say at least another 9 months to a year, since this is not city-wide, unless they're going to fill part-time positions at other MTA Bus Depots...

Thanks. Yea I was already aware of the position and the depot I would be working out of. I was honestly just surprised that they have gotten up to list numbers in the 200's with pre-employment notices because the last I've heard people were still taking the BOSS exam a little over a week ago.

So I just got back from Livingston Street, in case anyone thought they recognized me, I was sitting in the front with an orange t-shirt with blue jeans and black sneakers. I let two ladies borrow my blue pen while waiting on line.

When I approached the counter, I inquired about the 5-year waiting period, since I did fail the 10-day B/O training program in February of 2014. She briefly spoke to one of her co-workers, and said that it is a true statement. With that said, I decided to pass on this part-time position, since my list # for B/O 4600 is in the 1600's, and hopefully in about 18 months from today, I can restore my name to that list to try again.

Good luck everyone!!