MTA Bus Co. Part-Time Bus Operator Exams/Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_busco.png.6314ead1a019792535129d932c59b563.png

Part-Time Bus Operator, Exam No. 7304 & 9303

Pay: At the time of this exam the minimum salary for Bus Operator was $22.847213 per hour.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (500s) - For Medical: (N/A)

Next Training Class:

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

(Updated December 14, 2021)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It says no formal education required.

And...it says you have to have a CDL license for 3 years prior to the date.

Can anyone confirm that you really need a cdl for 3 years?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I made a boo boo. It says you must have a combination of either the cdl or motor vehicle license for at least 3 years.

Fantastic already applied.

Should I get the cdl now? Or can I get it during training?

This is only to work out of Spring Creek depot.

Would it make sense to apply for this and the FT B/O next month just for the opportunity to get a foot in the door? Also why is the PT B/O limited to Spring Creek? Even though I would prefer this location because of that huge parking lot!!

Edited by The Saniter

Would it make sense to apply for this and the FT B/O next month just for the opportunity to get a foot in the door?

IMHO, yes, because if you get a low random list number for one exam and a high random list number for the other exam, then chances are that they will call you for the lower random list number. Also, once you're in, you can switch to MTA B/O Full-Time, MaBSTOA, NYC Transit, etc.

Like someone said to me: The trick is to get in.

Also, once you're in, you can switch to MTA B/O Full-Time, MaBSTOA, NYC Transit, etc.

Like someone said to me: The trick is to get in.

There's a possibility to switch from PT to FT B/O if you're in with MTA BC without needing to take another test?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a notice today about the boss, says that they will give me 10 days notice when the exam will be. Gave me a list number too. This is for the part time bus op. Is it really part time ? Or close to full time? I'll do it anyway but what if I really need full-time? Can I ask them?

I got a notice today about the boss, says that they will give me 10 days notice when the exam will be. Gave me a list number too. This is for the part time bus op. Is it really part time ? Or close to full time? I'll do it anyway but what if I really need full-time? Can I ask them?

Yes it is part-time. They made it very clear when we initially applied to begin with.

Yeah received my notice yesterday list number 1,4xx. All i need is for them to crack open the door for me. I have no problem bum rushing my way through. For me and everyone else.

So is a list number of 1,0** a good list number? Or is it to high in the list?

Edited by Sb1914

So is a list number of 1,0** a good list number? Or is it to high in the list?

IMHO, I would say it's good, they just have to process at least 1,000 people first before they get to you. This can go by quicker if they fail the BOSS test, fail the drug test, etc. This will also give you time to get at least your CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), if you haven't done so already, and your CDL, if you can swing it.

IMHO, I would say it's good, they just have to process at least 1,000 people first before they get to you. This can go by quicker if they fail the BOSS test, fail the drug test, etc. This will also give you time to get at least your CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), if you haven't done so already, and your CDL, if you can swing it.

Thank you so much for your reply

So my random list # for this exam is in the low 200's. With that said, this morning I went down to Livingston Street to take the BOSS exam. (I was wearing a green sweatshirt with blue jeans in case anybody tried to recognize me.) The exam itself was pretty much straightforward - 75 questions, no surprises.

They also said that providing we pass the BOSS, the list will be out in approximately 2 to 3 months, so we'll see what happens.

Good luck everyone!!

~Young

So my random list # for this exam is in the low 200's. With that said, this morning I went down to Livingston Street to take the BOSS exam. (I was wearing a green sweatshirt with blue jeans in case anybody tried to recognize me.) The exam itself was pretty much straightforward - 75 questions, no surprises.

They also said that providing we pass the BOSS, the list will be out in approximately 2 to 3 months, so we'll see what happens.

Good luck everyone!!

~Young

Low 200's good god. Lmao. Did they call you or send you another letter to come take the boss?! If you don't mind me asking thanks in advance.

Good luck everyone!!

~Young

Low 200's good god. Lmao. Did they call you or send you another letter to come take the boss?! If you don't mind me asking thanks in advance.

does anyone know how much bus operators make in this position? i heard we dont get raises and we stick to 20hr because were under anothee contract

Edited by niku

They just sent me another letter approximately 1 & 1/2 weeks prior to the test...that was all.

Good job young. Did you get your cdl? Or are you planning later on ? I'm 1,7xx if they called low 200's I'm probably not far off.

But if you pass the boss you're basically on standby. No more than a year you'll get called in.

Someone said part time start off in spring creek? Whatever it is will be ready.

does anyone know how much bus operators make in this position? i heard we dont get raises and we stick to 20hr because were under anothee contract

I heard its 19 or 20 per hr. Not sure about sticking to 20 hr per week.

Good job young. Did you get your cdl? Or are you planning later on ? I'm 1,7xx if they called low 200's I'm probably not far off.

But if you pass the boss you're basically on standby. No more than a year you'll get called in.

Someone said part time start off in spring creek? Whatever it is will be ready.

I already have my CDL...and as Seven already posted, this is to work out the Spring Creek Depot.