The MTA is starting to pony up money to rebuild Penn Station

Union Tpke

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/docs/2017%2002%20LIRR%20NYCT%20amendment%20v13%20SIGNED.pdf

Long Island Rail Road: Two projects for work at Penn Station are proposed for addition to LIRR’s program. The new Penn Station-33rd Street Corridor project ($170 million) helps to reimagine and redesign Penn Station to significantly improve the customer experience and flow throughout the LIRR concourse. The 33rd Street Corridor inside Penn Station, which is among the station’s busiest sections connecting Seventh and Eighth Avenues, will be widened and ceiling height will be increased. Other improvements will include upgraded lighting and wayfinding, and digital information screens to provide a modernized environment. In addition, a new project ($100 million) related to Penn Station is for the LIRR’s contribution towards the Moynihan Train Hall, as part of a regional partnership which aims to transform the Penn Station experience. Offsetting these additions are changes in the following projects. For the LIRR M-9 fleet expansion project ($151 million), an option for 54 additional cars will now be exercised in the 2020-2024 Capital Program. This cash flow adjustment is consistent with the current delivery schedule for this contract. $119.4 million is available from prior capital programs as a result of MTA agency review to identify surplus funds and efficiencies. This includes $29 million from the 2010-2014 or earlier LIRR capital programs, $11 million from the 2010-2014 NYCT Capital program, and $79 million in surplus local funds from the 2010-2014 Sandy recovery program. 

Please, for the love of god, replace the train departure boards...

They are so confusing and outdated compared to the NJT and Amtrak boards...

I thought they did already? Somebody put up a picture somewhere of them taking down the old one. Can't remember how long ago it was, but it is recently.

I thought they did already? Somebody put up a picture somewhere of them taking down the old one. Can't remember how long ago it was, but it is recently.

Yeah the Amtrak one got replaced. The new one is awesome and they now have automated announcements that go with it, that play everywhere, even the NJT bathrooms...

Yeah the Amtrak one got replaced. The new one is awesome and they now have automated announcements that go with it, that play everywhere, even the NJT bathrooms...

Very nice... I was in Penn Station last Saturday night, but I was too busy running to express bus to check the place out.

Archived