Im Making An (1) Train Schedule

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then The MTA Should Add Extra BxM18 and BxM2 Service

Wait a minute.  You're attributing the overcrowding to the lack of Riverdale express buses? Please.  That's not the problem at all.  If anything the overcrowding is coming from the people up in Yonkers coming down to the city border using the train and all of the yuppies down in Morningside Heights and Washington Heights that now pack on the train.  

Wait a minute.  You're attributing the overcrowding to the lack of Riverdale express buses? Please.  That's not the problem at all.  If anything the overcrowding is coming from the people up in Yonkers coming down to the city border using the train and all of the yuppies down in Morningside Heights and Washington Heights that now pack on the train.

They Should Probably Add Extra Service To Those Areas Where The (1) Is Overcrowded

Which is why Marble Hill should be rebuilt into an express station and why express service in the Bronx on the (1) needs to return. The (1) and (4) are the only two IRT lines in the bronx that still do not have express service (excluding the (5) because it only has one express track past East 180, and excluding the (2) since the (5) runs up there during rush hour.)

Which is why Marble Hill should be rebuilt into an express station and why express service in the Bronx on the (1) needs to return. The (1) and (4) are the only two IRT lines in the bronx that still do not have express service (excluding the (5) because it only has one express track past East 180, and excluding the (2) since the (5) runs up there during rush hour.)

An express segment only in the Bronx would offer so little time improvement that it wouldn't be worth doing, and too many of the Manhattan stations are too busy to skip. As for the (4), they tried it, and it didn't work.

unless you can work out a <6> style operation, someone's commute is about to get rough.

An express segment only in the Bronx would offer so little time improvement that it wouldn't be worth doing, and too many of the Manhattan stations are too busy to skip. As for the (4), they tried it, and it didn't work.

That answer is getting old. The folks further north need some sort of express service down the road. Not only that, but the amount of crowding needs to be addressed, and not just with more frequent trains either. I don't know what the answer is, but with the amount of gentrification going on in Upper Manhattan, the situation will only worsen. People with higher incomes moving to areas where fewer people worked or worked outside of their neighborhood... They've started having more trains start at 137th, but they need to do more of that. Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The solution is to put trains into service earlier. The three minute headways only apply for an hour each peak period. That said, the MTA is increasing (1) service during the next schedule update, so relief may already be coming

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Might as well bring back the (1) and (9) skip-stop service, because express service with current track designs would only benefit people from Washington Heights and people north of 242nd coming in via bus. Even then, neither of these ideas would really benefit anyone between 96th Street and 145th Street.

Might as well bring back the (1) and (9) skip-stop service, because express service with current track designs would only benefit people from Washington Heights and people north of 242nd coming in via bus. Even then, neither of these ideas would really benefit anyone between 96th Street and 145th Street.

What's the point of that single track if folks can't get express service? The (6) has a single track too IIRC and there are express trains to Pelham Bay. Why not Van Cortlandt Park? Slip stop service is pointless. There needs to be a real express service for the folks taking the subway down the hill.

What's the point of that single track if folks can't get express service? The (6) has a single track too IIRC and there are express trains to Pelham Bay. Why not Van Cortlandt Park? Slip stop service is pointless. There needs to be a real express service for the folks taking the subway down the hill.

The problem here is not the single track but the two track section between Dyckman and 145th. Note that the only merge on the <6> is at 3 Av-138 St, while this <1> or (9) express would split at 238th, rejoin at Dyckman, split again at 137th and rejoin at 103rd.

Thats a pain in the ass to schedule. The only current situation that's even close is the PM rush pattern on Nassau Street where the (J)(Z) run express and the (M) runs local, but even then the only "merge" is leaving Marcy and the two cross at Myrtle...

The problem here is not the single track but the two track section between Dyckman and 145th. Note that the only merge on the <6> is at 3 Av-138 St, while this <1> or (9) express would split at 238th, rejoin at Dyckman, split again at 137th and rejoin at 103rd.

Thats a pain in the ass to schedule. The only current situation that's even close is the PM rush pattern on Nassau Street where the (J)(Z) run express and the (M) runs local, but even then the only "merge" is leaving Marcy and the two cross at Myrtle...

Exactly.. the infrastructure isn't in place to support thru express service. 27mins from 96th to 242 is about on par with other services to the Northen Bronx right?

(4) 28 mins from 86th to Woodlawn

(6) 30 mins from 96th to PBP via Express

(6) 35 mins from 96th to PBP via Local.

The way the tracks is set up and where the Switch point are, it really wouldn't work! Plus there are no land platforms. It just wouldn't run smoothly! One thing that RCC did to me was have me leave in service at 242 and go down the middle to Dyckman because there was a big Gap in service and i had to catch up to My Leader. It saved me about 15 minutes between 242 and dyckman but by time i got to 168, train was crowded.. People are saying more headway, but the means more trains and most of the time ALL THE TRAINS ARE OUT THE YARD DURING THE RUSH! SO where are they gonna get the extra trains from to do that?!?!?!

Edited by Shondrae

The way the tracks is set up and where the Switch point are, it really wouldn't work! Plus there are no land platforms. It just wouldn't run smoothly! One thing that RCC did to me was have me leave in service at 242 and go down the middle to Dyckman because there was a big Gap in service and i had to catch up to My Leader. It saved me about 15 minutes between 242 and dyckman but by time i got to 168, train was crowded.. People are saying more headway, but the means more trains and most of the time ALL THE TRAINS ARE OUT THE YARD DURING THE RUSH! SO where are they gonna get the extra trains from to do that?!?!?!

Move those R62As that are still on the (7) to the (1)?

Have some R142s from 239 or Unionport do rush hour trippers (like say a (2) run from 241st to SF, then a round trip on the (1), then a (2) trip from SF to 241st)? 

Then The MTA Should Add Extra BxM18 and BxM2 Service

B...but, what about the age old problem of fitting less people on buses (compared to trains) and....

Not even....

It's an attempt to thwart Riverdalians off of the (1)entirely..... Not the first time I've seen someone suggest that either, *with all the luxury (which was the buzzword for express buses back then, on these transit boards) that they get*....

So much for the Culver express..... Oh, wait :lol:

I know this may be a bad idea, but how about splitting (3) between 148th and 137th Sts? Considering that ridership under 137th is very strong, the only reason i see this not working is a decrease in Lenox Av service

What would the switching operation at 96th look like? Do you foresee backups on the (2)(3)? I'd even say add the (5) in there as well as many times as we see reroutes.

So much for the Culver express..... Oh, wait :lol:

Culver at least had express stops in the middle segment, and at least the station where the express tracks end is set up decently enough to handle local-express transfers. That can't be said about the express tracks on the (1).