F express in Brooklyn to start...this year?

46Dover

Why rush hours only? I think the demand for midday and early evening express service is there, both for (V) (Culver express) and (W).

Yes, it certainly can. It'll just result in less (F) service at the local stations between Church and Jay. And between the (F) local and the (G), there will still be relatively frequent service at those stops. If they can schedule northbound G's to meet up with the expresses at 7th Ave, that would cut down on the number of riders who would be impacted by the loss of half the F's. Maybe this time it'll work.

You think the (V) and (W) are ready for prime time? I just thought they would be broken in for rush hour work a'la the evolution of the <QB> which started life as a rush hour peak operation and would eventually evolve into the (Q) today.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't the current express tracks only operable in one direction?

Only south of Church Avenue.

North of Church Avenue, there are (apparently) no problems with operating express service in both directions.

Only south of Church Avenue.

North of Church Avenue, there are (apparently) no problems with operating express service in both directions.

The CI bound express track is used for CBTC testing. So there is a problem there. That track is how they qualify suppliers.

I thought they used only the middle track on the el south of Church Ave for CBTC testing. I'm sure they could implement express service between Church and Jay in both directions and still do CBTC testing south of Church.

They never did IIRC. I've only ever seen it testing north of Church and the board meetings of the past concur.

When (F) trains are late they get routed down the express tracks to make up for lost time (for example, this happened today.) Maybe CBTC testing can be kept to late nights and weekends at this particular location?

When (F) trains are late they get routed down the express tracks to make up for lost time (for example, this happened today.) Maybe CBTC testing can be kept to late nights and weekends at this particular location?

That usually happens during Rush Hours though. Leaving the tests to nights and weekends could potentially get in the way of GOs and thus would need to be cancelled.

So the Broadway end of the 7th Av Line can't use IND spec trains on the express even though it's connected to the 207th St yard?

Nope.

Main problem is the stop arm is on opposite sides of the train trucks with both divisions

Nope.

Main problem is the stop arm is on opposite sides of the train trucks with both divisions

I was always under the impression IND/BMT spec couldn't be used in IRT tunnels but that outdoor could work with platform shaving (Ie Astoria Line).

I was always under the impression IND/BMT spec couldn't be used in IRT tunnels but that outdoor could work with platform shaving (Ie Astoria Line).

Astoria and a few other el lines were built under the Dual Contracts. But today, the signals as mentioned above have different placements for the stop arms depending on division.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Please read the subsequent posts before you try to correct me.

i understand your point but I will also say that I am intrinsically aware of the track access challenges involving the B3 CBTC test track on a daily basis. That track is not needed for testing frequently enough that doing testing on nights/weekends working around other GOs will suffice.

Apparently, the F express is under consideration. 

http://www.amny.com/transit/f-train-express-service-restoration-remains-under-consideration-mta-says-1.13419860

“The recommendation to restore F express service is still under consideration,” said Beth DeFalco, an MTA spokeswoman. “There are several major F line improvement projects underway or getting started, however, and the timing of any decision must factor those in.”

There is also a website in support of F express service.

http://fastercommute.nyc

There is one quote that sums up my view of the plan:

http://fastercommute.nyc/f-urious-southern-brooklyn-pols-demand-mta-restore-f-express/

But Southern Brooklynites say that Downtown yuppies are just being selfish, and ignoring the isolation of transit-starved residents and businesses below the borough’s proverbial Mason-Dixon line, said one Coney Island restaurateur.

“People in other neighborhoods and Manhattan have so many more transportation options than we do,” said Nino Russo, the owner of Coney’s famed Gargiulo’s Restaurant. “A lot of my patrons come from Manhattan and it’s frustrating for me when I hear my customers complaining about how long it took to get to here. Why don’t we have more options like everyone else?”

People in Northern Brooklyn have more options and they have shorter commutes. People in Southern Brooklyn have really long commutes and even a few minutes can make a big difference. It can make the difference between getting to a job/job interview/school on time, and being late.

Archived