NY1: MTA vows to improve bus service

paulrivera

What measurable improvement does TSP offer anyway? The Bx12 has it and I can tell you from riding it I don't notice any kind of special treatment at lights. If anything drivers wait at stops too long and end up sitting through red lights for no reason. 

It is really good on routes where there are not a lot of crossing bus routes that are also busy. So on Staten Island, where all buses head towards the ferry, or Main St/Kissena in Flushing, it works wonders.

If your congested area has a lot of intersections with crossing buses, TSP either prioritizes one bus route or has no effect. So like in the middle of Jamaica it wouldn't help much, but it would help a lot on the way there.

While that is a concern, i'm speaking mainly to drivers on the Bx12 SBS that hold the doors open far longer than the necessary dwell times at certain stops in front of lights with the light becoming red while the doors were held open. The two stops where this happens the most are the Williamsbridge and Eastchester Road stops eastbound.

The thing is though bus bunching, even with them short turning buses is worsening, so it isn't really helping. It doesn't seem to be consistent either, with the exception of lines like the M86, which they clearly cater to, and even then, that line suffers, but not as bad as others because it isn't a long route overall.  Nevertheless, regardless of the length of the line, there is no way in hell that situations such as FOUR BxM2 buses running a mere 5-10 minutes apart should be happening, leading to others having to wait 40+ for a bus on a line that is supposed to have two buses an hour most of the day, and roughly four buses during most of the rush.  

I also think there needs to be more uniformity.  That is still a major problem and it's really annoying.  We can't continue to have B/Os doing their own thing.  One guy doesn't want to be written up for running hot, so he leaves the terminal 10 minutes late, NEVER gets back on schedule, and by the time he reaches the other terminal, he is now 20+ minutes BEHIND schedule.  I had this last Saturday evening on the BxM2.  I tracked the bus from 35th & 6th as I waited further up the line.  He had been on break for quite some time and then came late, and the trip took almost an hour and 30 minutes, for what should've been roughly an hour trip. Then said driver likely does the same thing heading Southbound, but the thing is, he has enough layover time to get back on schedule so he isn't really inconvenienced.  Just that the passengers have to constantly put up with longer trips and late buses.  If the guy doesn't have a lot of layover time, well then he likely never gets back on schedule, and every trip he's later and later, so much so that they may not even bother sending him out to do certain runs after a while.  It's crazy.  I can tolerate it now because I only use the buses for select trips, but it's really out of control.  I look at BusTime and just can't believe how long certain trips take compared to what they used to take just a few years ago.  

You even see B/Os chatting among themselves from bus to bus talking about how they leave the terminal late so that they aren't running hot, so that means that the schedules need to be re-written.  However, there are some drivers that perpetually run late to milk overtime, and those drivers need to be dealt with too.  We had a guy who for quite some time would always arrive at least 20 minutes behind schedule, and each time, his bus could not be found on BusTime.  I took note of the pattern and started filing complaints because it was evident what was going on.  

Well that's just an example of what I was saying before... Another BS excuse to slow down service. I don't get that either. If they're SBS buses, why are they sitting at stops for prolonged periods of time?  I was under the impression that they're supposed to keep it moving. Some B/Os follow this and will literally slam the door as you try to get a ticket (I had one moron close the door on me as I was trying to board even though just a few of us were boarding), and others will hold the door for everyone coming out of the subway and elsewhere, even when no one is in sight originally.  It's another example of the inconsistency I talked about earlier.  I don't see any reason to hold the door unless the light is red. The M86 has that set up where drivers will keep the doors open at those stops, and that makes sense because it allows people to get their ticket and board quickly until the light changes.

In some drivers eyes:

Less run time = Less runs

Less runs = Less money

I'm also under the impression that SBS buses are supposed to keep it moving (I've seen pamphlets back when SBS started that say they don't have to adhere to the timepoints after they leave the terminal), but there are times that they don't and they either drive slow or hang out at the bus stops.

When they excessively dwell and the bus is empty, I assume that they're sleeping and I start spamming the stop request cord/button accordingly to "wake them up". Also, when I get an empty SBS that does 15mph in a 30mph zone on a clear day I do go up front and remind them that it's a Select Bus and they should drive faster. If they quip back I tell them that "I've been on tour buses in Times Square that go faster than you" or "I can go faster on my bike."

I'm also under the impression that SBS buses are supposed to keep it moving (I've seen pamphlets back when SBS started that say they don't have to adhere to the timepoints after they leave the terminal), but there are times that they don't and they either drive slow or hang out at the bus stops.

When they excessively dwell and the bus is empty, I assume that they're sleeping and I start spamming the stop request cord/button accordingly to "wake them up". Also, when I get an empty SBS that does 15mph in a 30mph zone on a clear day I do go up front and remind them that it's a Select Bus and they should drive faster. If they quip back I tell them that "I've been on tour buses in Times Square that go faster than you" or "I can go faster on my bike."

lol... The M86 buses generally move. I have only used the Bx12 a few times, both from the Fordham University/Fordham Metro-North area to get to the BxM4 on the Concourse.  The waits generally have generally been long, hence why I walked a few times up that bloody hill.

This is nothing new. They are still pretending that adding SBS is the entire solution to solving bus problems with no mention of doing massive route restructuring.

Moerdler also talked about having traffic cops be more active.  Double and triple parking is a MAJOR problem across the city, especially those Fresh Direct, UPS and FedEx trucks.

There are many issues that they need to address, here are some from my perspective as a bus rider in no particular order:

1) The running times are padded so that when the bus is early, the bus driver has to drive at 10mph, then wait at green signals for it to turn red before proceeding.

2) Bus operators drive like they're sedated with no sense of urgency.

3) Traffic signals hate buses and turn red whenever they see one. TSP is needed on many routes.

4) Bus stops are too close on some routes. You have the Bus stop>Red Signal>Bus stop cycle which is horrible.

5) Buslanes

• Vehicles Double Parking in bus lanes
  • Bus lanes along the curb are generally bumpy and uneven so the Bus Operators don't like to use them.

6)Bustime helps locate the next bus(es) but...

• Buses still bunch, weren't dispatchers supposed to get a better handle of service with GPS?
  • It seems like no creative moves are done to address bunching (Ie, running limited to "catch up", detouring) etc. And IIRC Leapfrogging isn't allowed?
  • Buses aren't held breifly to make bus-bus connections, especially during increased headway hours.
  • Buses aren't held to make connections from arriving subway (and even LIRR) trains, especially during increased headway hours. (The argument can be made that it will delay service, but pulling away from a bus stop at a subway or LIRR station while a train is pulling in or is one station away only to sit at a red signal or two isn't helping anyone. For example, if a (J) or (E) train is pulling into Jamaica Center and a Q4/5/83 or whatever is scheduled to leave, why pull off and have passengers have to wait another 20-60 mins, especially when the trains were delayed due to trackwork. 2 wordsCustomer Service) 

That's what I can think of for now.

My answers in red:

There are a many issues that they need to address from my bus rider perspective in no particular order:

1) The running times are padded so that when the bus is early, the bus driver has to drive at 10mph, then wait at green signals for it to turn red before proceeding. This is why some drivers leave their terminals late. IDK why some go 10mph and wait at greens, that is very unsafe and I did see a bus get rear ended once because of a driver doing that.

2) Bus operators drive like they're sedated with no sense of urgency. LOL, that is true.

3) Traffic signals hate buses and turn red whenever they see one. TSP is needed on many routes. True but not true, the signals don't "hate buses" although DOT does mess with the signals on occasion ("Traffic Calming") 

4) Bus stops are too close on some routes. You have the Bus stop>Red Signal>Bus stop cycle which is horrible. True story

5) Buslanes

• Vehicles Double Parking in bus lanes Even cops do it.
  • Bus lanes along the curb are generally bumpy and uneven so the Bus Operators don't like to use them. True story.

• Buses still bunch, weren't dispatchers supposed to get a better handle of service with GPS? Dispatchers at a bunker in a couple of depots do use BusTime to short turn and deadhead and abandon intervals at will but that's about it.
  • It seems like no creative moves are done to address bunching (Ie, running limited to "catch up", detouring) etc. And IIRC Leapfrogging isn't allowed? Buses do detour and run Limited, just without passengers (deadheading to get drivers back to schedule, which makes OTP look a little better but increases wait times for the customer exponentially). I've only been on a bus that did an in-service skip once; a Bx3 out of GWB that was instructed to skip 181st Street and go straight to the Bronx but actually picked up passengers at the first stop.
  • Buses aren't held breifly to make bus-bus connections, especially during increased headway hours. I have no idea how they could implement this, but it would be a nice thing to have at night.
  • Buses aren't held to make connections from arriving subway (and even LIRR) trains, especially during increased headway hours. (The argument can be made that it will delay service, but pulling away from a bus stop at a subway or LIRR station while a train is pulling in or is one station away only to sit at a red signal or two isn't helping anyone. For example, if a (J) or (E) train is pulling into Jamaica Center and a Q4/5/83 or whatever is scheduled to leave, why pull off and have passengers have to wait another 20-60 mins, especially when the trains were delayed due to trackwork. 2 wordsCustomer Service) There's only a couple of places in ALL of NYC where they do have "holding lights" for buses to wait for trains.

There are a many issues that they need to address from my bus rider perspective in no particular order:

1) The running times are padded so that when the bus is early, the bus driver has to drive at 10mph, then wait at green signals for it to turn red before proceeding.

2) Bus operators drive like they're sedated with no sense of urgency.

3) Traffic signals hate buses and turn red whenever they see one. TSP is needed on many routes.

4) Bus stops are too close on some routes. You have the Bus stop>Red Signal>Bus stop cycle which is horrible.

5) Buslanes

• Vehicles Double Parking in bus lanes
  • Bus lanes along the curb are generally bumpy and uneven so the Bus Operators don't like to use them.

• Buses still bunch, weren't dispatchers supposed to get a better handle of service with GPS?
  • It seems like no creative moves are done to address bunching (Ie, running limited to "catch up", detouring) etc. And IIRC Leapfrogging isn't allowed?
  • Buses aren't held breifly to make bus-bus connections, especially during increased headway hours.
  • Buses aren't held to make connections from arriving subway (and even LIRR) trains, especially during increased headway hours. (The argument can be made that it will delay service, but pulling away from a bus stop at a subway or LIRR station while a train is pulling in or is one station away only to sit at a red signal or two isn't helping anyone. For example, if a (J) or (E) train is pulling into Jamaica Center and a Q4/5/83 or whatever is scheduled to leave, why pull off and have passengers have to wait another 20-60 mins, especially when the trains were delayed due to trackwork. 2 wordsCustomer Service) 

These are all excellent points.  Something else that needs to be added is we have an endless cycle going on where management cracks down on the bus drivers which further erodes morale and any sense of respect and trust.  The bus drivers in turn "retaliate" by saying ok, I won't do ANYTHING, including making any effort to actually stay on schedule because ultimately I'm still getting paid.  That IMO is the biggest problem.  The drivers don't give a damn anymore.  Management is envious of the drivers because they make "X".  I remember years ago being in an accident on the BxM1.  When dispatch came, the guy was a complete jerk, talking down to the B/O and making remarks like well you get paid more than I do so... It was incredible to watch. Basically you have grown-ups acting like children while the passengers suffer.  Everyone is looking to see how they can screw over the next guy.  On the same token, you have some B/Os that are just downright awful and should never be in service, so some in management feel as if they are justified in being jerks at all times.  It's really a mess.

The other problem is that you do have GOOD B/Os that give a damn.  Those folks get caught in the middle because they are the ones that will try to stick it out and stay and tend to have the least amount of seniority (there are quite a few great B/Os out of Yonkers that I really wish could get more seniority, but they get whatever is left over - they are ALWAYS courteous, treat ALL passengers with the same level of respect (don't do that discrimination crap against young male passengers for example where they just stop anywhere in the street and basically have the attitude of yeah just get the "f" off of my bus while going out of their way to kneel the bus and cater to the female passengers), while a lot of the jerks have seniority, so if runs are cut, you know who gets the axe in most cases.  I think that needs to change too.  There needs to be more incentives for drivers and more of a focus on customer service, but we also can't have drivers constantly under the gun either.  This is where the (MTA) has become out of control with the cost cutting measures and their obsession with numbers, and now they're seeing just how far they've gone and how many people are fed up with it, so now they come back with this sham story about how they're going to improve service.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Not that long ago, the (MTA) mentioned that one of the big problems they were having was so many senior drivers were retiring and the new folks couldn't cut it. That seems to be true.  It's like a revolving door.  You see so many new faces.  They need to examine their training procedures as well because if they're not training these guys enough, well they're setting them up to fail, so that's something that not a lot of passengers are likely aware of either, but I've certainly thought about it. When you've got a rookie driving, you know that guy is going to be nervous as hell trying to make sure that he doesn't do anything wrong to screw up, even if that means being extremely late because he won't be written up for being behind schedule, but he can be written up for a litany of other things.

These are all excellent points.  Something else that needs to be added is we have an endless cycle going on where management cracks down on the bus drivers which further erodes morale and any sense of respect and trust.  The bus drivers in turn "retaliate" by saying ok, I won't do ANYTHING, including making any effort to actually stay on schedule because ultimately I'm still getting paid.  That IMO is the biggest problem.  The drivers don't give a damn anymore.  Management is envious of the drivers because they make "X".  I remember years ago being in an accident on the BxM1.  When dispatch came, the guy was a complete jerk, talking down to the B/O and making remarks like well you get paid more than I do so... It was incredible to watch. Basically you have grown-ups acting like children while the passengers suffer.  Everyone is looking to see how they can screw over the next guy.  On the same token, you have some B/Os that are just downright awful and should never be in service, so some in management feel as if they are justified in being jerks at all times.  It's really a mess.

The other problem is that you do have GOOD B/Os that give a damn.  Those folks get caught in the middle because they are the ones that will try to stick it out and stay and tend to have the least amount of seniority (there are quite a few great B/Os out of Yonkers that I really wish could get more seniority, but they get whatever is left over - they are ALWAYS courteous, treat ALL passengers with the same level of respect (don't do that discrimination crap against young male passengers for example where they just stop anywhere in the street and basically have the attitude of yeah just get the "f" off of my bus while going out of their way to kneel the bus and cater to the female passengers), while a lot of the jerks have seniority, so if runs are cut, you know who gets the axe in most cases.  I think that needs to change too.  There needs to be more incentives for drivers and more of a focus on customer service, but we also can't have drivers constantly under the gun either.  This is where the (MTA) has become out of control with the cost cutting measures and their obsession with numbers, and now they're seeing just how far they've gone and how many people are fed up with it, so now they come back with this sham story about how they're going to improve service.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Not that long ago, the (MTA) mentioned that one of the big problems they were having was so many senior drivers were retiring and the new folks couldn't cut it. That seems to be true.  It's like a revolving door.  You see so many new faces.  They need to examine their training procedures as well because if they're not training these guys enough, well they're setting them up to fail, so that's something that not a lot of passengers are likely aware of either, but I've certainly thought about it. When you've got a rookie driving, you know that guy is going to be nervous as hell trying to make sure that he doesn't do anything wrong to screw up, even if that means being extremely late because he won't be written up for being behind schedule, but he can be written up for a litany of other things.

I agree. Is there any way they can address these issues? In addition to what you said I think there are some good bus operators that get discouraged due to their interaction with nasty members of the public. 

I agree. Is there any way they can address these issues? In addition to what you said I think there are some good bus operators that get discouraged due to their interaction with nasty members of the public. 

That's a good question.  I honestly don't see the (MTA) making any changes to such ways of doing business until their attitude changes about their bottom line.  The hard line with drivers is in part because of their desire to minimize costs, especially lawsuits.  Granted, I don't want some nut job driving recklessly, but at the same time, having guys crawl from stop to stop isn't good for anyone.  I can't see how half of these guys even want to come to work having to go through what they do these days, and that actually may be why some trips go unfilled. I know of quite a few drivers that simply refuse to do any overtime because they don't think they should do anything extra since management has become so difficult.  On top of that, you have some trips taking two plus hours one way, because congestion is so bad that these guys can take 20 minutes just to go a few blocks (and I do mean a few blocks), so by the time they actually finish with their regular schedule, they may be exhausted.  

The (MTA) needs to be more vocal about the need for buses to be the priority in the city, and so that means perhaps Cuomo and de Blasio getting together to see how traffic can be improved, which given their "courteous" behavior towards one another seems highly unlikely, so there's actually a ton of reasons why bus service has become so bad, and it will take years IMO before we see any significant progress if the (MTA) is actually serious about this.  SBS only goes but so far.  If we continue to see a trend where people are hopping in cabs and using all of these car sharing apps, it may become even worse.

Moerdler also talked about having traffic cops be more active.  Double and triple parking is a MAJOR problem across the city, especially those Fresh Direct, UPS and FedEx trucks.

I have nothing against better enforcement when the goal is actually to move traffic and not just to raise revenue.

I was driving on Ocean Parkway about six months ago cruising along with everyone else at a safe 30 mph when all of a sudden everything slowed to 20 mph for two long blocks. The reason? A cop was stationed on the sidewalk with a radar gun to ticket anyone breaking the 25 mph speed limit. Since they can give a ticket even for two or three miles above the limit, everyone slowed to 20 mph just to be safe from a ticket. As soon as we passed the cop, the speed went back up to 30 mph.

Yesterday I saw a truck double parked on Brighton Beach Avenue while unloading although the curb was marked as a truck loading zone and was empty. Buses and cars were delayed. No cops around.

I have nothing against better enforcement when the goal is actually to move traffic and not just to raise revenue.

I was driving on Ocean Parkway about six months ago cruising along with everyone else at a safe 30 mph when all of a sudden everything slowed to 20 mph for two long blocks. The reason? A cop was stationed on the sidewalk with a radar gun to ticket anyone breaking the 25 mph speed limit. Since they can give a ticket even for two or three miles above the limit, everyone slowed to 20 mph just to be safe from a ticket. As soon as we passed the cop, the speed went back up to 30 mph.

Yesterday I saw a truck double parked on Brighton Beach Avenue while unloading although the curb was marked as a truck loading zone and was empty. Buses and cars were delayed. No cops around.

The thing is these delivery trucks in some cases are parked basically ALL DAY.  They take up all of the parking spaces from anyone else who may need to park.  Something needs to be done about that too because it leads to even more trucks double or triple parking, so then you have a street that should have maybe three lanes that now becomes a single lane with everyone having to weave back and forth to get around the double parked trucks.  What I find funny is the truck drivers themselves claim that their companies are losing business too because of how bad the congestion is becoming. Apparently it isn't too bad because they continue to do it.  I said this before, but more deliveries need to be set up at night.  I see plenty of places around Manhattan that have such a set up.  Delivery guy comes, unlocks the front door, delivers what is needed and closes up and goes on about his business.  

Traffic signal priority itself is pretty half-assed. On the Q44, they often turn red as the bus approaches the last light between the Kissena-Elder stretch of Main Street. After that, between Booth Memorial and Horace Harding is weird as well, the light on Booth Memorial seems to NEVER be in sync with any of the other lights in that section. After Horace Harding, there is basically no TSP. With traffic, you'll spend a good 10-20 minutes getting from Melbourne to Horace Harding when it can easily take 5 or less. Not to mention that traffic itself is caused by the horrible signals in that area.....

Traffic signal priority itself is pretty half-assed. On the Q44, they often turn red as the bus approaches the last light between the Kissena-Elder stretch of Main Street. After that, between Booth Memorial and Horace Harding is weird as well, the light on Booth Memorial seems to NEVER be in sync with any of the other lights in that section. After Horace Harding, there is basically no TSP. With traffic, you'll spend a good 10-20 minutes getting from Melbourne to Horace Harding when it can easily take 5 or less. Not to mention that traffic itself is caused by the horrible signals in that area.....

Does no one complain about the signals? When they installed a signal at 224th Street and Hempstead Ave it was out of sync and caused eastbound backups down to and past Springfield Blvd, I called 311 and complained, and they fixed it.

What measurable improvement does TSP offer anyway? The Bx12 has it and I can tell you from riding it I don't notice any kind of special treatment at lights. If anything drivers wait at stops too long and end up sitting through red lights for no reason.

That is irksome, I agree.

I had no idea the Fordham corridor had TSP. Seems meaningless from my POV since there's more unresolved baggage in that corridor.

I avoid that bus on weekdays because safe boarding is impossible.

I feel a lack of supplemental school service is causing un-fare burden to regular routes.

The Bx26, Bx28 and Bx6 only has one or two part time routes for schools. It isn't enough and they should be planned with regard to student addresses and given limited priority.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

I think queue jumping is really gonna be helpful. It allows buses to get a headstart so bus drivers aren't waiting there for the next light cycle as all the other cars fly by and don't let it through.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

It would also be helpful to have a left turn request Beacon for some intersections, namely Boston Rd & Provost, for example. Ten to fifteen cars pass by without respeck to the operator's left turn signal.

By beacon, a traffic modifier request. Like air traffic control except for buses in the form of an encrypted 2 way signal to an IR signal under the Gallium.

Daily patrolling of the Coney Island station would be great. Fare beaters are pretty common here—especially in the summer when they come out like cockroaches.

One of them ambushed me last Xmas at the McD's across the street. Had to call the cops because they surrounded the exit.

People have to stop enabling these vagrants and buying the broken records.

Does no one complain about the signals? When they installed a signal at 224th Street and Hempstead Ave it was out of sync and caused eastbound backups down to and past Springfield Blvd, I called 311 and complained, and they fixed it.

There's nothing to complain about because this is all done on PURPOSE as part of Vision Zero.  The lights are purposely out of sync because that makes it difficult to go long distances where you can gain speed.  The thinking is that if you limit the speed to 25 mph AND have numerous lights that aren't synced, it will reduce speeding, thus reducing fatalities.  The issue is it also causes a ton of congestion because it screws up traffic flow, but this is something the city wants as well because they want to discourage people from driving (not working either given how many more people are on the road as a result of cheap gas).  You have one light that turns green and then the next one stays red much longer forcing drivers to either come to a full stop OR slow down constantly, so there's more stop and go than there is anything else.  This means it takes A LOT longer to get anywhere unless there is a lot less traffic.  The only time that traffic flows somewhat decently now is really late at night, and even then you'll see some streets backed up.  

This obviously has made bus travel a complete mess, and it's one of the major reasons that bus service has worsened.  Aside from that, the (MTA) is trying to keep the schedules similar to what what they were prior to Vision Zero, which is simply impossible in some cases. Updating the schedules with more run time means more added costs for the (MTA), something they of course don't want, but if both the B/Os and passengers scream enough, they don't have a choice but to.  Schedules have been adjusted on some lines but not enough of them.  There is no point in providing a schedule in which the bus is constantly going to be 20 - 30 minutes late.  It doesn't do anything but lead to a litany of complaints about how poor service is.  I do wonder though how long they're going to keep elongating these schedules because that has to become expensive over time.

You can up split more routes (I strongly believe that's why they're trying to do more of this to reduce costs, as opposed to their excuse about providing more reliable service).  If they were really serious about improving reliability, well just splitting up routes won't do much.  In other words, if a bus gets stuck in traffic, that won't suddenly change because the routes are shorter, so then the question is what else happens besides that?  Not much aside from SBS and TSP.  You need wayyy more things to be implemented to deal with this problem.

That is irksome, I agree.

I had no idea the Fordham corridor had TSP. Seems meaningless from my POV since there's more unresolved baggage in that corridor.

I avoid that bus on weekdays because safe boarding is impossible.

I feel a lack of supplemental school service is causing un-fare burden to regular routes.

The Bx26, Bx28 and Bx6 only has one or two part time routes for schools. It isn't enough and they should be planned with regard to student addresses and given limited priority.

It would also be helpful to have a left turn request Beacon for some intersections, namely Boston Rd & Provost, for example. Ten to fifteen cars pass by without respeck to the operator's left turn signal.

By beacon, a traffic modifier request. Like air traffic control except for buses in the form of an encrypted 2 way signal to an IR signal under the Gallium.

One of them ambushed me last Xmas at the McD's across the street. Had to call the cops because they surrounded the exit.

People have to stop enabling these vagrants and buying the broken records.

While there is overcrowding on the Bx12 this is pure exaggeration. There's always the option of riding the local if SBS conditions are that bad in your eyes. 

With regard to what I italicized, what are you trying to say there? The Bx28/38 and Bx6 are high frequency routes so there's going to be high demand with or without schoolkids. Are you advocating for trippers on these routes (which they already have) or for a separate service designation just for the schoolkids?

While there is overcrowding on the Bx12 this is pure exaggeration. There's always the option of riding the local if SBS conditions are that bad in your eyes. 

With regard to what I italicized, what are you trying to say there? The Bx28/38 and Bx6 are high frequency routes so there's going to be high demand with or without schoolkids. Are you advocating for trippers on these routes (which they already have) or for a separate service designation just for the schoolkids?

Seems like he wants more trippers.  I can agree with that.  Some bus lines are filled with kids in the mornings and are so crowded that no one else can use them.  They should have their own service for them.  Would make things a lot better.

Once again Charles Moerdler is the voice of reason. Another thing mentioned... Why is signal priority on so few lines? We have all of these new shiny buses coming in, but the technology is slow to take hold. Finally maybe just maybe they'll stop cutting the damn service (officially and unofficially) and touting how great their cost cutting measures are. We need to stop any cuts to service until this mess can be turned around.

Man. Imagine what could be accomplished if he was head of MTA, or even better, Governor. Every board meeting, I look forward to what he has to say and he gets an applause every time. Especially this month with when he called out the lack of consequences when contractors don't do the work they're paid to do in a timely manner or at all.

Man. Imagine what could be accomplished if he was head of MTA, or even better, Governor. Every board meeting, I look forward to what he has to say and he gets an applause every time. Especially this month with when he called out the lack of consequences when contractors don't do the work they're paid to do in a timely manner or at all.

He seems to be one of the few on the board that gets it.  The other guy that I liked a lot was Alan Cappelli.  Too bad he is no longer on the board...  Fernando Ferrer is also a good guy.  

Usually that's what I do. But during the day, if I want 207th Street there's usually no other choice.

I wish I was exaggerating, like I did with the swipes (which is average at 194 according to my last EZP statement, Winter 2016), but it's like there's so many at the stop and not enough buses.

Maybe it's gotten better. While I still do business in the East Bronx, it's West of the Hutch so I don't ride the Bx12 SBS like I used to.

Archived