Queens Community Board 14 Withdraws their support for the Woodhaven Blvd SBS

BrooklynBus

Well folks, our idiot mayor just ok'd the go for the woodhaven SBS. It's happening. Smh.

confirmed

i was about to post it , your getting it anyways

http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2017/13/sbs_2017_03_31_q.html

[sarcasm]But guys, SBS is supposed to be an improvement of bus service this is not bad.[/sarcasm]

I'll just sit here waiting for it to start so I can see if it actually "improved".

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With no federal money likely, the mayor won't say how much of the $400 million plan will be built with only $10 or $20 million available.

Originally DOT stated SBS and Vision Zero are two completely separate programs. Now they make it seem like the major purpose of SBS is to make the street safer under Vision Zero.

They will create fake statistics to show how much "improved" everything is. DeBlasio says safety has improved in each of the three years of Vision Zero. Does anyone know if that is true? I thought pedestrian fatalities went up in at least one year and more cyclists were killed.

Well folks, our idiot mayor just ok'd the go for the woodhaven SBS. It's happening. Smh.

confirmed 

i was about to post it , your getting it anyways 

http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2017/13/sbs_2017_03_31_q.html

Really boneheaded decision by De Blasio. Woodhaven is a traffic nightmare. To have a Select will only make it worse.

(And to implicate that SBS and Vision Zero are interconnected? Really?)

And from the article itself:

The route will reconfigure lanes and eliminate left turns at major intersections as well as install bus stops in the median of Woodhaven Boulevard, which opponents fear will create unsafe conditions along the corridor and interrupt the flow of traffic.

Seriously? Bus stops in Woodhaven's median? That's a major accident waiting to happen!

With no federal money likely, the mayor won't say how much of the $400 million plan will be built with only $10 or $20 million available.

Originally DOT stated SBS and Vision Zero are two completely separate programs. Now they make it seem like the major purpose of SBS is to make the street safer under Vision Zero.

They will create fake statistics to show how much "improved" everything is. DeBlasio says safety has improved in each of the three years of Vision Zero. Does anyone know if that is true? I thought pedestrian fatalities went up in at least one year and more cyclists were killed.

and didn't a cyclist kill a pedestrian a year or 2 ago?

also im still up for the option of those people to sue to stop it 

and didn't a cyclist kill a pedestrian a year or 2 ago?

also im still up for the option of those people to sue to stop it

A cyclist killed a pedestrian in Central Park about two years ago. But of course the mayor is selectively citing statistics. Suing is a last resort because it costs money. No environmental impact statement is good grounds.

• 3 weeks later...

" On Tuesday evening I attended the Community Board 14 meeting. The Queens Transit Coalition organized a presentation by Allan Rosen, a retired manager of the MTA Bus division. I was proud to be a member of the QTS as he explained with humor, and in language everyone understood why the city’s plan for rebuilding Woodhaven Boulevard, eliminating car lanes and bus stops would cause much more harm than help for South Queens commuters. Rosen did a great job and is very professional. Board 14 then rescinded a previous resolution in favor of the SBS joining other community boards along the route who have previously opposed the plan. "

So they changed their minds about SBS... But why?

" On Tuesday evening I attended the Community Board 14 meeting. The Queens Transit Coalition organized a presentation by Allan Rosen, a retired manager of the MTA Bus division. I was proud to be a member of the QTS as he explained with humor, and in language everyone understood why the city’s plan for rebuilding Woodhaven Boulevard, eliminating car lanes and bus stops would cause much more harm than help for South Queens commuters. Rosen did a great job and is very professional. Board 14 then rescinded a previous resolution in favor of the SBS joining other community boards along the route who have previously opposed the plan. "

So they changed their minds about SBS... But why?

Because until now they not heard the positive side of SBS from DOT without hearing any of the negatives. Now they know both sides and they are now convinced that more would be hurt by SBS than would be helped by it.

Archived