Subway predictions on TransSee

doconnor

My website, TransSee, has supported MTA bus predictions for a while. I've been working on subway predictions, but it needs some testing.

Lines  (1)(2)(3)(4)  (5)  (6)  and  (L) seem to work well with the predictions and train locations consistent with each other and the official subway time predictions.

Line  (S) has no train locations, but it has predictions.

For SIR the predictions and locations provided by the MTA are inconsistent. The predictions will count down to 0 while the location information says the train is 2 or 3 stops away. From Toronto I can tell which is correct. It is also possible the locations are consistently off by 1 station. It would be really good if someone on the ground watching the trains can let me know if the predictions or the locations are right. Knowing that I should be able to correct the prediction or the location.

Lines  (B)  (D)  (N)  (Q)  (R)  (W)  are still beta according to the MTA. There have been a lot of fluctuations over the last two weeks, but right now it seems to be working like the SIR, although recently they working better and sometimes not at all.

The subway predictions aren't accessible through the main TransSee site, only through this url:

https://www.transsee.ca/routelist?a=mtasubway

Please let me know if this what works and what doesn't

Hm, this is quite an interesting website, and seems like it could be very useful. If you have time in the future, you should consider adding some graphic design elements so that it doesn't look like a basic HTML site.

Hm, this is quite an interesting website, and seems like it could be very useful. If you have time in the future, you should consider adding some graphic design elements so that it doesn't look like a basic HTML site.

Yeah I would pump this through bootstrap or some such nonsense and just give it a baseline polished feel. 

Also - would be nice to see multiple lines at the same station. 

Ah I see that I can add URL parameters after an ampersand - AND you have an "Add Stop" feature. 

Very nice. Would love to see this in a decent interface. 

I haven't received any feedback on whether the train locations or predictions are more accurate for the lettered lines.

I've added the track number to the predictions. The MTA documentation says this about the numbers:

The following is the Manhattan track configurations:
  // 1: southbound local
  // 2: southbound express
  // 3: northbound express
  // 4: northbound local
  //
  // In the Bronx (except Dyre Ave line)
  // M: bi-directional express (in the AM express to Manhattan, in the PM
  // express away).
  //
  // The Dyre Ave line is configured:
  // 1: southbound
  // 2: northbound
  // 3: bi-directional

I would like the translate the numbers into something more meaningful. It seems like the (D) switches from the first numbering to the second numbering around 135th St. The (L) follows the second numbering and for the SIR 1 is northbound and 2 is southbound. This might make more sense for someone who is from New York.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like all available lines are working right now. There was a problem that caused all trains to appear to be at the same location. The feeds where changed to make them more consistant. I don't know it that caused the locations to be wrong when Abba was testing.

More feedback on prediction and location reliability and track numbers is welcome.

It looks like all available lines are working right now. There was a problem that caused all trains to appear to be at the same location. The feeds where changed to make them more consistant. I don't know it that caused the locations to be wrong when Abba was testing.

More feedback on prediction and location reliability and track numbers is welcome.

Well you're not going to get much feedback with such a bland interface.  Just being honest.  I want something that is easy on the eyes, that I can look at on my phone since I'm on the go.

Well you're not going to get much feedback with such a bland interface.  Just being honest.  I want something that is easy on the eyes, that I can look at on my phone since I'm on the go.

In my personal opinion, I'd want to get the data right before I start worrying about the user interface but I do see what you are saying.

When I checked early this morning the  (L) feed was returning times for about 10:00PM last night. I checked again just now and it is working again. I guess it is just as beta as the other lettered lines.

When I checked early this morning the  (L) feed was returning times for about 10:00PM last night. I checked again just now and it is working again. I guess it is just as beta as the other lettered lines.

Another thing I wanted to point out. This app or whatever this is supposed to be doesn't have all of the express buses.

The TransSee webapp should have all the bus routes supported by BusTime.Can you give an example of a route that is missing and I can look into if there is data available.

That webpage only has NYCT (New York City Transit) routes. It is missing all of the (MTA) Bus routes such as the Q19, Q22, Q35, B100, B103, and all of the BM_, QM_, and BxM_ routes.

That webpage only has NYCT (New York City Transit) routes. It is missing all of the (MTA) Bus routes such as the Q19, Q22, Q35, B100, B103, and all of the BM_, QM_, and BxM_ routes.

And since I use express buses most of the time, this app is useless to me... The idea of one app for everything would be great though. Right now I have two apps for Metro-North and an app for the express bus.

its not beta.it just goes down sometimes.

It's amazing how far we have come.Only the A C E F G JM Frankin S Rock Park S and Z are missing from real time.

The whole Bronx now has Realtime subway info.

I've added the MTA Bus Company routes to TransSee.

https://www.transsee.ca/routelist?a=mta

Right now they are listed after the regular routes. I'm guessing that it would be better to sort them all together?

Would be easier to just have them all under "Express Bus".  Right now you have the categories wrong.  You have Brooklyn and Queens, but nothing for the Riverdale and Bronx express buses.  They seem to be listed under "Brooklyn".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

And since I use express buses most of the time, this app is useless to me... The idea of one app for everything would be great though. Right now I have two apps for Metro-North and an app for the express bus.

I've added support for Metro-North on TransSee: https://www.transsee.ca/routelist?a=metronorth

Since I've last posted, the C line on the subway was activated and the MTA started generating a new subway schedule every day and TransSee incorporates those.

Archived