•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -

Can someone request removal of bus stops?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
    21 replies to this topic

#1 Nas

Nas
    • 11 posts
    • LocationBronx

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:24 PM

Hi all,

To make a long story short I just moved in to a new home (not new new but you know what I mean)... And there's a bus stop right in front of my house... The issue is if you were standing at the bus stop and look to your left, there's another bus stop literally 50 yards away... and if you were to look to your right, you'd find a bust stop (all for the same bus) also 50 yards away.  

I have no idea who thought you should have 3 bus stops in 3 consecutive short blocks.   What really erks me about the stop is that people throw their trash on the floor despite my neighbor having a trash can nearby... the trash includes nickel bags too... and to make matters worse, people smoke cigarettes there which exposes my kids to 2nd hand smoke every time we enter or leave our home... and thinking about the noise and air pollution caused by the bus stopping and moving so frequently.

I want to request a bus stop removed (really both directions) given the reasons above and given the fact it's not an inconvenience as the other bus stops are very close as is... Heck I'm sure some riders would appreciate one less unnecessary stop.  

Any idea how I can go about making that happen?   I have already contacted my local assemblyman's office and they said they'll contact the MTA... just wondering if there's anything else I need to or should do.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Nas, 19 April 2017 - 02:24 PM.

#2 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 27,742 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY & New York, NY

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:35 PM

So you moved to this home knowing that it had a bus stop in front and NOW you want it removed? Really?  I mean didn't you think about that before moving there?  When I moved I wanted something close to the express bus, but certainly not something where my residence was literally in front of a bus stop.  I mean you had to know what you were getting into.  In any event, it won't be easy. I would first start by filing a complaint with the (MTA) and asking them to consider moving it or removing it entirely and cite the reasons why.  They will then forward it to the DOT for review. Your next bet would be to contact your local representatives and explain the situation and see what they say.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8, 19 April 2017 - 02:37 PM.

BxM1-RIVERDALE1_zpsb9eeb015.gif

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN - BUY "MADE IN USA" PRODUCTS

#3 bobtehpanda

bobtehpanda
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 5,274 posts
    • LocationStony Brook, NY

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

This is about as dumb as that couple who moved next to the rail yard in LIC and then sued over the noise...

#4 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 27,742 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

This is about as dumb as that couple who moved next to the rail yard in LIC and then sued over the noise...

There are a few bus stops in front of houses, or co-ops but the buildings are further back and/or situated in a way that doesn't cause an issue.  In any event, I still don't see why anyone would move to a place and then complain about the bus stop afterwards.

#5 BrooklynBus

BrooklynBus
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 2,402 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:11 PM

Hi all,

To make a long story short I just moved in to a new home (not new new but you know what I mean)... And there's a bus stop right in front of my house... The issue is if you were standing at the bus stop and look to your left, there's another bus stop literally 50 yards away... and if you were to look to your right, you'd find a bust stop (all for the same bus) also 50 yards away.  

I have no idea who thought you should have 3 bus stops in 3 consecutive short blocks.   What really erks me about the stop is that people throw their trash on the floor despite my neighbor having a trash can nearby... the trash includes nickel bags too... and to make matters worse, people smoke cigarettes there which exposes my kids to 2nd hand smoke every time we enter or leave our home... and thinking about the noise and air pollution caused by the bus stopping and moving so frequently.

I want to request a bus stop removed (really both directions) given the reasons above and given the fact it's not an inconvenience as the other bus stops are very close as is... Heck I'm sure some riders would appreciate one less unnecessary stop.  

Any idea how I can go about making that happen?   I have already contacted my local assemblyman's office and they said they'll contact the MTA... just wondering if there's anything else I need to or should do.

Thanks in advance.

Many times bus stops are located too close together by accident, not because someone thought it was a good idea. It sounds like that is what might have happened in your case since there are two other stops nearby. If no one says anything it will stay there forever.

An excuse example of how something like this could have happened is that routes were changed but bus stops were not altered.

That's what I noticed about two bus stops near where I live. I knew the bus route history and that because of a route extension twelve years before why both stops existed and that no one would miss one of them while residents would greatly appreciate four additional parking spaces. Since I was head of Bus Planning at the time, it was very easy to get it removed. I requested DOT remove it in my official capacity and five days later it was gone.

So my advice to you is to write to DOT, not the MTA. DOT will ask the MTA if they have a problem, and since they love to eliminate bus stops, most likely they will give DOT the green light and it will be gone. I also wouldn't mention that you are the homeowner. I am only telling you this because I am taking you at your word that the other two stops are indeed that close and it is the same bus route that stops at all three stops and there is nothing near your house that merits a bus stop there like a school, hospital, or entrance to a park or beach. If that were the case, more nvestigation would get needed.
    Know the past. Predict the future.

#6 Deucey

Deucey
    • Pip
    • 290 posts
    • LocationStaten Island

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:43 PM

There are a few bus stops in front of houses, or co-ops but the buildings are further back and/or situated in a way that doesn't cause an issue. In any event, I still don't see why anyone would move to a place and then complain about the bus stop afterwards.

It's like people in Sacramento who bought houses in a new subdivision in the Sacramento River floodplain and under the airport departure flight path using over noise.

Every lawsuit dismissed because just like you said earlier - they moved there with prior knowledge of quality of life issues.

To OP: make the request to (MTA), then start sending bills for cigarette butt and trash removal (and get your neighbors to do the same) and it'll likely be moved quicker - years instead of decades.

#7 danielhg121

danielhg121
    • PipPip
    • 674 posts
    • LocationNew york

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:12 PM

I wish we could get the location of where this bus stop is and judge it based on what we see but privacy issues .

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

#8 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 27,742 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:09 PM

I wish we could get the location of where this bus stop is and judge it based on what we see but privacy issues .

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Yeah I want to see the location too or the bus route. Must be in the Bronx... Maybe the South Bronx...

#9 QM1to6Ave

QM1to6Ave
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 3,131 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:29 PM

The exposure to toxins from the smokers in front of your door is going to cause a lot mor damage than an extra bus stop in th street

#10 4 Train Man

4 Train Man
    • Pip
    • 220 posts
    • LocationBronx

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:44 AM

Yeah I want to see the location too or the bus route. Must be in the Bronx... Maybe the South Bronx...

Here we go again with your Bullsh*t