Enhanced Station Initiative

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

Or to Accommodate 5 60ft car trains. In facts EVERY SIRT station should get this enhancement

They already can. 4x75 = 300 = 5x60. 

If you don't believe me, do note that they're getting R211Ss. 

1 minute ago, RR503 said:

They already can. 4x75 = 300 = 5x60. 

If you don't believe me, do note that they're getting R211Ss. 

The platforms at Richmond Valley can only fit three 75-foot cars each. Currently the last car of each train doesn't have its doors opened there.

• 1 month later...

Seems like even the name is dead:

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/riders-reminded-72-st-86-st-bc-stations-undergo-critical-structural-safety 

Riders Reminded That 72 St & 86 St BC Stations to Undergo Critical Structural, Safety & Other Improvement Work Starting May and June

MTA New York City Transit is reminding customers that it will begin critical structural, safety, and other repairs and improvements to two non-adjacent subway stations on the  line -- 72 St and 86 St – on May 7 and June 4, respectively.

In order to expedite the projects, the stations will be closed while the work is being done, with (B) and (C) trains skipping those stations but still available at 81 St, 96 St and 59 St-Columbus Circle.  72 St will reopen in early October, and 86 St will reopen in late October.

When the projects are completed, customers will benefit from critical structural and safety repairs and improvements to concrete and steel features such as columns, beams, platforms, walls and stairs. There will also be other improvements and upgrades such as improved waterproofing, turnstile areas with new glass barriers, new security cameras, LED lighting for increased light and energy efficiency, and enhanced signage for easier navigation including digital, real-time service change and train and bus arrival information. 

“We appreciate our customers’ patience while we do these critical repairs and improvements,” said NYC Transit President Andy Byford.  “These temporary closures will prepare these stations for decades of continued service. We’re deploying customer service personnel to help riders through this transition and will hold the contractor to the aggressive work schedule.”

For alternate service during these projects, riders can use the adjacent (B)(C) stations at 81 St, 96 St and 59 St-Columbus Circle.  Service on the M10 bus, which runs along the route of the (B)(C), line, has been increased to help customers choosing to take the bus.

Extra customer service personnel will be on hand, and officials will monitor subway and bus service in the area, to help riders while the projects are underway.

Contracts for the projects were awarded in October 2017, and the closure dates were first announced in February of this year.  Station signage has been alerting customers to the closure dates, and these projects have also been the subject of two public meetings held locally recently.

Even though ESI is dead, would you rather.....

A) Have a station (despite having ADA accessibility) look like crap and smells like piss

OR

B) Have a station that lacks ADA accessibility, BUT actually looks presentable and nice? 

Take your pick  (if you could enable voting in a post, that'd be great)

Edited by LGA Link N train

32 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

A) Have a station (despite having ADA accessibility) look like crap and smells like piss

OR

B) Have a station that lacks ADA accessibility, BUT actually looks presentable and nice? 

I'd have a new presentable station before having any ADA Accessibility work done. Reason for my decision, Why perform ADA Work on a decrepit station, even though I would prefer if (MTA) would do ADA Accessibility at the same time of the station's rehab, because if (MTA) talks about a delay in the opening, the station could open first and then the elevator can open up a couple of weeks, or months later.

6 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

OR

This is not a choice that exists in reality.

The ADA is a law, not a suggestion. The MTA at minimum needs to be spending 20% of their renovation budget on accessibility features, and they have not been doing that (thus why they're being sued). We waste billions a year on paratransit. Accessibility needs to come sooner than later but the MTA is penny wise and pound foolish and fails to see how deferring this work is screwing them over in the future.

Edited by MNR Beacon Line

9 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

OR

C. A presentable station with ADA accessibility work taking place as the station is rehabbed.

The only one making the MTA make this "choice" is the MTA themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 11:00 PM, Around the Horn said:

C. A presentable station with ADA accessibility work taking place as the station is rehabbed.

The only one making the MTA make this "choice" is the MTA themselves.

Maybe I didn't Elaborate enough on what I said, but since you and @MNR Beacon Line both have good points, I'm not going to waste my time arguing

• 2 weeks later...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cT5ICZwn2QtnNd95ccTdrVzDYT7B7E0h&usp=sharing

This is a Map I'm currently working on. I put current ADA stations. Stations announced to get ADA accessibility and stations I think should get ADA accessibility. It's not complete and I'm still working on it. Anyways, what do you all think?

8 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

stations I think should get ADA accessibility

All stations should be accessible. That's all 472 of the current ones, and anything that opens in the future. It's such a common misconception that adding ADA accessibility to the subway stations is a frivolous cost that only needs to be applied to certain key stations. We are under the assumption, therefore, that riders with disabilities are only coming and going from the busiest stations; if someone who uses a wheelchair and needs to get to Broad Channel, they shouldn't have to suffer because it's a low-ridership station.

It's easy for us to tell disabled New Yorkers from a distance to just take a bus or to take Access-a-Ride, but come on. We all know the serious problems that exist with using both those modes of transportation. When compared to subway systems around the world, New York's stations tend to be larger, straighter, less deep in the ground, and more spacious - all of which puts us at an advantage when it comes to retrofitting accessibility. 100 percent accessibility should be the goal, and the fact that we've hardly made a significant dent in that since the first elevators were installed over a century ago is, quite frankly, appalling.

19 minutes ago, officiallyliam said:

All stations should be accessible. That's all 472 of the current ones, and anything that opens in the future. It's such a common misconception that adding ADA accessibility to the subway stations is a frivolous cost that only needs to be applied to certain key stations. We are under the assumption, therefore, that riders with disabilities are only coming and going from the busiest stations; if someone who uses a wheelchair and needs to get to Broad Channel, they shouldn't have to suffer because it's a low-ridership station.

It's easy for us to tell disabled New Yorkers from a distance to just take a bus or to take Access-a-Ride, but come on. We all know the serious problems that exist with using both those modes of transportation. When compared to subway systems around the world, New York's stations tend to be larger, straighter, less deep in the ground, and more spacious - all of which puts us at an advantage when it comes to retrofitting accessibility. 100 percent accessibility should be the goal, and the fact that we've hardly made a significant dent in that since the first elevators were installed over a century ago is, quite frankly, appalling.

I agree with you 100%.! However, there are certain stations where adding ADA improvements would not only be a pain in the butt, but it will also require the demolition of property obstructing the potential of adding ADA improvements. i.e. 52 Street on the (7) and 75 Street on the (J) . For certain stations, I had to think twice before adding the handicapped symbol

I can see the (MTA) adding elevators to underground stations but someone tell me how can they add elevators to non express elevated stations? Especially with many of the elevated stations being so close and narrow to adjacent buildings? Even elevators going to the platform seems impossible. 

Edited by ABOGbrooklyn