Enhanced Station Initiative

The problem is that most of these are very well-used stations (excepting the Prospect Park one). They've shied away from doing transfer stations, so Chambers is unfeasible (and that'd take a hell of a lot more than 6 months...) I assume most of these will be in "Phase Two" or whatever - they can only get so much done at once

23rd Street (F)(M) (ranked 38 in ridership last year) and Nostrand Av (A)(C) (ranked 77) are also pretty well-used. And as for Chambers, I agree it would take much, much longer, but there are transfers at Fulton and Canal.

Here are some screenshots of that presentation (great find!) and some new renderings:

(images removed)

17992189_306435853123222_705541443446693

I'm surprised to see both of the Penn Stations on the list.

As for 23 St (F)(M), I'm not sure how the entrances could be closed, since they are 1) shared by the PATH and 2) were just renovated two years ago. Does anyone know if the PATH station will be closed too? Because the PATH entrances are within the NYC Subway mezzanines on each side.

Edited by agar io

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be good if they could close 1 half of the (N)(W) stations of the astoria line. Like one station would be closed in astoria direction and the following stop closed in manhattan direction. So passengers wouldn't have to walk that far for the next stop.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The MTA is already planning on doing that.

It looks like 30th and 36th will be closed together, and so will Broadway and 39th. When two stations are closed, the other two will be open. Plus, they will be doing half of these four stations at a time. Not sure if the MTA will do the renovations in two sections (closing 30th and 36th SB with Broadway and 39th NB and vice versa), or in four sections.

Just look at the image for Packages 5-8.

Since this is a document intended for contractors bidding on Packages 1-4, there is no image for 5-8 other than that general map.

Package 5:

-Classon Av (G)

-Clinton-Washington (C)

-Flushing Av (G)

-Nostrand Av (A)(C)

-Van Siclen Av (C)

Package 6:

-3 Av-138 St (6)

-E149 Street (6)

-Brook Av (6)

-Pelham Parkway (5)

-Westchester Sq (6)

Package 7:

-Northern Blvd (M)(R)

-67 Av (M)(R)

-Parsons Blvd (F)

Package 8:

-145 St (3)

-167 St (B)(D)

-174-175 Sts (B)(D)

Package 8+:

Richmond Valley SIR

Thanks!

The reason why I pointed to the map was because the stations can be clearly seen from there.

I didn't even realize that the stations were shown on the map. 

They were added as part of the Farley Building work for the LIRR.

Thanks. Do you or anyone else know if the MTA is doing platform closures or just expansion and component repair? According to the images, the full closures will only be done in the renovations of 23rd, 28th, and 57th. Besides, these stations are just too busy to close fully, and both look like they've been renovated within the last decade anyway.

But they've talking about returning the (W) since early 2016, you'd think that they at least look ahead in the future a bit.

At the time it was the (Q), and I think the MTA was only concerned about sorting the stations based on the services that were currently stopping there. If the MTA had just put the (W), they would be dealing with nonsense about "Why is the MTA referring to a service that doesn't exist anymore?" as soon as that plan was published.

It's not like the official map which, unlike this plan, has to be updated with the correct services. Most of the public won't see this plan, or if they do, won't care. There would only be a problem if both of the services were changed, e.g. if it said "30 Av (R)(W) ".

Edited by agar io

I'm going to ask that you stop posting "what" in every thread to boost your post count. Thank you.

I'm going to ask that you stop backseat moderating and leave it to the professionals lol[emoji14]

What

If you have nothing to add, please don't comment on the post

What about including Bergen Street on the (F)(G) in the future. That could include doing work on the lower level that would (eventually) allow express trains to stop there.

But is it likely express on the Culver Line will be something that lasts 10+ years? Without that commitment from (MTA), I don't think the expense of rehabbing and making ADA-compliant add-ons is worth it.

Especially since the whole express plan is facing sustained backlash currently.

But is it likely express on the Culver Line will be something that lasts 10+ years? Without that commitment from (MTA), I don't think the expense of rehabbing and making ADA-compliant add-ons is worth it.

Especially since the whole express plan is facing sustained backlash currently.

My response to this is in the (F) express train thread.

Edited by Wallyhorse

The idea behind the ESI is to reduce the amount of time needed for the station rehabs. That's why the focus is on "easy" stations like the ones on 4th Avenue and the Astoria line, as opposed to the complexes like Chambers St and the like. I feel that a project like the one required at Bergen St, especially if it involves bringing the disused lower level into operational status, is beyond the scope of the initiative.

The idea behind the ESI is to reduce the amount of time needed for the station rehabs. That's why the focus is on "easy" stations like the ones on 4th Avenue and the Astoria line, as opposed to the complexes like Chambers St and the like. I feel that a project like the one required at Bergen St, especially if it involves bringing the disused lower level into operational status, is beyond the scope of the initiative.

The lower level is always closed essentially, if they're going to replace the tiles, etc, then lower level Bergen should not be difficult at all. Replace the dirty tiles, add new lighting and a new arrival time signs. Sounds like what they're already doing to the other stations.

The lower level is always closed essentially, if they're going to replace the tiles, etc, then lower level Bergen should not be difficult at all. Replace the dirty tiles, add new lighting and a new arrival time signs. Sounds like what they're already doing to the other stations.

There's no tiles down there anymore. They were all ripped out when upper Bergen got rebuilt after that fire, it's all bare wall.

...and leaking everywhere lol

I think you might be underestimating the work involved in this potential project. The lack of tiling at Bergen St may not be as much of a blessing as you're considering it is. I remember reading somewhere that the tiles there have been falling off for years, even before the fire, probably because of the aforementioned leaks. We don't know how bad the conditions are behind the walls and across the platform areas since Transit only cares about making sure the tracks themselves are in good shape for express service. This is a worthy project which I hope the MTA does tackle one day, but I feel it's going to be a bit more involved than you're making it out to be.

I think you might be underestimating the work involved in this potential project. The lack of tiling at Bergen St may not be as much of a blessing as you're considering it is. I remember reading somewhere that the tiles there have been falling off for years, even before the fire, probably because of the aforementioned leaks. We don't know how bad the conditions are behind the walls and across the platform areas since Transit only cares about making sure the tracks themselves are in good shape for express service. This is a worthy project which I hope the MTA does tackle one day, but I feel it's going to be a bit more involved than you're making it out to be.

There you go

After the first incarnation of express service stopped, there was no need for them to keep the lower level platform in usable shape so they left it to perpetually rot as-is.

...then came the fire which essentially just finished the job

There you go

After the first incarnation of express service stopped, there was no need for them to keep the lower level platform in usable shape so they left it to perpetually rot as-is.

...then came the fire which essentially just finished the job

That is what happened.  When they were fixing the upper level, sections of tile on the lower level were collapsing, which led to ALL of the tile being removed.  Water behind the wall likely was leading to this, especially then. 

This would be quite an involved project, but long-term one that needs to be looked at, especially if the (F) DOES start running express again.

Doesn't the water affect the integrity of the station?

There was a report where a lot of stations with abandoned lower levels do not have an adequate maintenance or inspection regime for those lower levels, even though they support the active stations above them.