Transit Management Analyst Trainee - Exam #7606

Jersey Loop

Hello All,

I hope we all one step closer, I noticed the list has us all certified. Request date of 12/5/18 and Cert Date of 12/7/18.

So should we be expected letters this week call us on to replace provisional?

Suggestion from anybody that has gone thru this process before???

Kidson

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, kidson said:

Hello All,

I hope we all one step closer, I noticed the list has us all certified. Request date of 12/5/18 and Cert Date of 12/7/18.

Kidson

Does the open data Request Date, Cert. Date & Cert. Expiration date signify anything? 

Has anyone seen any correlation to these categories and how they worked with any prior established lists?

I'm  really not sure how the hiring process goes for these types of positions, you have many variables, some of those

on the list will have selective certification in certain fields & these analyst positions are quite variable in task & scope.

Some on the list likely took the exam to be "In Title" and are already with the TA. Should be interesting soon.

Maybe +Young+ can shed some light on what the general hiring practices & protocols are usually for most established lists,

my guess is this will mirror those closely. Hopefully they will start contacting individuals soon to get things going.

Good luck to those who get the process started, will be great to keep the board updated.

4 hours ago, Alucard said:

Does the open data Request Date, Cert. Date & Cert. Expiration date signify anything? 

Has anyone seen any correlation to these categories and how they worked with any prior established lists?

Maybe @+Young+ can shed some light on what the general hiring practices & protocols are usually for most established lists,

my guess is this will mirror those closely. Hopefully they will start contacting individuals soon to get things going.

Good luck to those who get the process started, will be great to keep the board updated.

The "Request Date" is when the specific agency requested the names of the candidates of a certain list from DCAS (Dept. of Citywide Administrative Services).

The "Certification Date" and the "Certification Expiration Date" means that the agencies only have a limited amount of time to work with the particular list(s). After the "Certification Expiration Date" past, if they still need candidates, they have to go back to DCAS to request more names. The reasons for this are:

-If someone wishes to restore their name to a particular list, since they were not able to take advantage of the first opportunity that was offered to them for whatever reason (business trip, military, working for somebody else, vacation, etc.) their list number will stay the same, which gives them an advantage compared to someone else who has a higher list number.

-Sometimes an agency can be hiring from two open lists. As an example, the list for Bus Operator Exam 4600 was established in January of 2016 and expires in January of 2020. In addition, the list for Bus Operator Exam 7612 was established in October of 2018 and expires in October of 2022. Therefore, if someone restores their name to the list for Bus Operator Exam 4600, he/she will have first priority over everyone on the list for Bus Operator Exam 7612, in addition to those other people who are on the list for Bus Operator Exam 4600 depending on how low their list number is and whoever else restores their name to that list.

As far as the hiring practices, if I had to take an educated guess, they will probably invite a certain number of people to a location for a hiring pool. According to this website, the definition of a "hiring pool" is a way "to fill job vacancies at (a) facility in competitive titles for which an eligible list is available. Eligible list candidates will be scheduled to attend hiring pools to interview with facility representatives for job opportunities." As a result of the interview, if you're a good match, you're hired!! If not, then you have two [2] more chances to interview before the "one in three rule" comes into play, which, according to this website, is a rule which "provides City agencies with the discretion when hiring to select one of the three eligibles scoring highest on the ranked eligible list of exam passers."

Again, this is not official, just an educated guess.

Edited by +Young+

Thanks +Young+,

for the effort & information you posted. Always helpful to have some background info on things. Hopefully, some will get contacted 

within the window established by that certification end date on 1/9/19.  Seems like a rather short window, but we'll see. 

While this list got established in mid November, a month has passed without seemingly any forward motion of progressing with hiring off the list. This may be due to MTA's ongoing hiring freeze on all "non essential personnel" that's been mentioned in various media from around October, to more recently in mid December.

http://gothamist.com/2018/12/13/mta_budget_subway_fares.php

"The MTA has already instituted a non-essential employee hiring freeze and minor cuts to service"

Not sure how these positions are classified, but likely they are seen as non essential [being trainee an such] & might be under the freeze umbrella. 

Also not sure how hiring freezes at MTA operate in terms of duration or scope. So while this took close to 2 years to get a list, and there is a certification date listed for early January, the wait might just be longer. But definitely could be wrong on that. Will have to see if it starts moving anytime in the near future. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 11:13 PM, +Young+ said:

The "Request Date" is when the specific agency requested the names of the candidates of a certain list from DCAS (Dept. of Citywide Administrative Services).

The "Certification Date" and the "Certification Expiration Date" means that the agencies only have a limited amount of time to work with the particular list(s). After the "Certification Expiration Date" past, if they still need candidates, they have to go back to DCAS to request more names.

It would seem the first request date [12/7/18], and certification expiration date[1/9/19] have passed without any forward momentum towards filling from the list as of yet.

There is a column for "Reissue Date" which is described as "the date on which a Certification will be extended beyond its original expiration date" By that wording it would seem that a reissue date would be required if they wish to again use the list for candidates, as at current, it has surpassed its certification expiration date.  With the probable hiring freeze, perhaps this all means very little. Guess on the bright side, the list is established, and it's just a matter of time before something occurs with the first batch.

For anyone on this list, if you call DCAS automated line (212-669-1357) and select option 2, then enter exam 7606 and your credentials they ask for, it will deliver back a message that may include at the end one of two messages.

1. "On An Outstanding Certification" or 2. "Not On An Outstanding Certification"

According to some posting on these boards & other on the net, the On An Outstanding Certification signifies that DCAS as sent your information along to the hiring agency. While the Not On signifies that your information is still held with DCAS and has not been transferred as yet. I would suspect that those in the upper tiers of rankings on the exam will hear the positive of the two, and as the list progresses further down those hearing Not On now might hear that portion of the message change later. There have been posting of individuals saying they call weekly & check. Maybe Young+ can reflect on it a bit more, as to how that message relays to real world changes or actions on an established list. Again, this may all be moot due to the potential/probable hiring freeze.

27 minutes ago, Alucard said:

There have been posting of individuals saying they call weekly & check. Maybe Young+ can reflect on it a bit more, as to how that message relays to real world changes or actions on an established list. Again, this may all be moot due to the potential/probable hiring freeze.

From my experience with the DCAS automated system (212-669-1357, Option #2, enter Social Security #, follow prompts, etc.) for all of the civil service lists that I'm on, they update the system the first Sunday evening of every month. Ever since I found the NYC Open Data Civil Service List Certification webpage, I have found that to be more reliable since they update that site a few days after they certify either part of a list, the whole list, multiple lists and/or what's remaining of a list.

+Young+ thanks for the info. 

I guess then the question would be, upon calling what is the significance of those two criteria ["On An Outstanding Certification" or 2. "Not On An Outstanding Certification"] the online data lists does not seem to have those particular data points identified (Unless since it's a Certified List, All on the list are "On an Outstanding Certification"). So it's a bit of a curiosity as to if it represents anything. From prior posts on these forums some say it does. Haven't dealt with it enough to know.

In regards to the data sets you linked, do the data sets ever change to show individuals were appointed to the position or where the list currently stands in terms of hiring sequence. I know on the State level those exams results will show dates people on State lists were appointed, but not sure how these DCAS data/list sets run. Thanks again. Surely, something has to happen for those on this list, eventually! :) Seems they clumped all the TMA [4 levels] exams within a 2 year period, but doesn't seem like these exams occur too often.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 12:20 PM, kidson said:

Hello All,

At the employment center yesterday there were about 50 or so individuals called from this list, process ranged in time for some [those who were already mta employed, and those not] but it lasted about 8 hours, going from station to station. Seems everyone there went for "final processing" but honestly it didn't seem like anything final, just procedural. Individuals were called to interview in supposed list order, but not sure what the final results of anything were. Whether individuals were hired, or told they'll contact you or something different. Maybe some on the board were there as well.

Odd things:

They asked for quite a few documents to be brought in, but never asked for them.

The letter to come to the location arrived a day prior to actually having to go in [can only guess this made some miss the letter/date & not show up] Tight scheduling

And yes, mention of a hiring freeze. Got the feeling the 50 were there for a small handful on openings, if any. All in all a strange experience for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 11:24 PM, Alucard said:

At the employment center yesterday there were about 50 or so individuals called from this list, process ranged in time for some [those who were already mta employed, and those not] but it lasted about 8 hours, going from station to station. Seems everyone there went for "final processing" but honestly it didn't seem like anything final, just procedural. Individuals were called to interview in supposed list order, but not sure what the final results of anything were. Whether individuals were hired, or told they'll contact you or something different. Maybe some on the board were there as well.

Odd things:

They asked for quite a few documents to be brought in, but never asked for them.

The letter to come to the location arrived a day prior to actually having to go in [can only guess this made some miss the letter/date & not show up] Tight scheduling

And yes, mention of a hiring freeze. Got the feeling the 50 were there for a small handful on openings, if any. All in all a strange experience for sure.

Did you hear anything back since that day? I just received an updated notice of result letter today and I was wondering the process.

Edited by TAI STUNNER

On 2/5/2019 at 7:33 PM, TAI STUNNER said:

Did you hear anything back since that day? I just received an updated notice of result letter today and I was wondering the process.

Actually, it was like it never happened :) have not heard back a thing. Did anything change from the previous letter of results to the "updated" one?

Depending on where you rank on the list, I suspect they will call in block groups [ie. say 1-50] then seek to fill x number of positions, likely by rank order, then eliminating the number they filled, and then calling the next block. So let's say 5 were filled from that first calling in,  then likely the next call will be from #s 6-56. I am not sure if there is info available as to the last appointed number off the list [seen some mention that information is available by calling in & speaking to someone] but the city data certified list doesn't have that piece of info. Also, the last certification date on that list expired on January 9th, and hasn't changed since. When you call the automated line it will let you know if you are on an outstanding certification or not [I guess that outstanding. meaning, you can be called in via a letter for these block group sessions/processing] The fact of the hiring freeze probably will make this a very long drawn out tedious thing. 

20 hours ago, spd said:

Is there any update since they called the first batch. I work for transit as a Station Agent, if I get a call for transit management analyst trainee will they match my current salary of Station Agent? Thanks.

At the time, they definitely delineated between current transit employees and non employees. So I suspect that likely on a transition/title change they would allow salary match, but not really sure. I do think as a employee you likely have an advantageous position on a few levels versus an outside person. Most the employee people seemed to have exited way quicker than others there that day. 

On 2/6/2019 at 8:34 PM, Alucard said:

Actually, it was like it never happened :) have not heard back a thing. Did anything change from the previous letter of results to the "updated" one?

Depending on where you rank on the list, I suspect they will call in block groups [ie. say 1-50] then seek to fill x number of positions, likely by rank order, then eliminating the number they filled, and then calling the next block. So let's say 5 were filled from that first calling in,  then likely the next call will be from #s 6-56. I am not sure if there is info available as to the last appointed number off the list [seen some mention that information is available by calling in & speaking to someone] but the city data certified list doesn't have that piece of info. Also, the last certification date on that list expired on January 9th, and hasn't changed since. When you call the automated line it will let you know if you are on an outstanding certification or not [I guess that outstanding. meaning, you can be called in via a letter for these block group sessions/processing] The fact of the hiring freeze probably will make this a very long drawn out tedious thing. 

At the time, they definitely delineated between current transit employees and non employees. So I suspect that likely on a transition/title change they would allow salary match, but not really sure. I do think as a employee you likely have an advantageous position on a few levels versus an outside person. Most the employee people seemed to have exited way quicker than others there that day. 

Thanks for the info. The updated notice of result just was reworded stating that my name was inserted onto the list. I believe this is because many candidates such as myself inquired about being given a list number plus .50. For example if the list was established and you won an appeal at a later date then your list number could’ve been 200. But because someone else got that number they inserted you onto the list giving you a 200.50 list number.  

I noticed another certification has been done as of 2/12/19 based on opendata.  What does mean for people called in on the first certification?  Has anybody actually been appointed yet?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Edited by kidson
misspelled word

13 hours ago, kidson said:

I noticed another certification has been done as of 2/12/19 based on opendata.  What does mean for people called in on the first certification?  Has anybody actually been appointed yet?

Truly not sure what to make of the data, some observances of this new certification:

1. The original certification [ 68808] had all 470 individuals "certified" this newer certification[69446] list has 252/250 requested. 

2. Also, the "certification sequence" is split between the 2 certifications, the new certification sequence starts again at one [with candidate 11.5, then 28.5, then candidates 60-298] 

3. The # of Vacancies column for this newer 69446 certification, states 14.

4. Individuals on the 1st Certification, do not appear on this newer one, their dates list the expired 68808 certification time frame.

5. There were 13 of those [.5] adds mentioned by  a previous poster [11.5, 28.5, 63.5, 77.5, 157.5, 163.5, 230.5, 253.5, 262.5, 275.5, 280.5, 285.5, 291.5] 

Don't know what relevance is really being shown with the data, could be something, could be nothing. Only way to see the data changes is to split it between the two certifications. So essentially people who were on the first "outstanding" certification are not on the current "outstanding" certification. Which would mean if you're 1-59 on this list, you may have been on the first outstanding, but are not on this one. How that relates to hiring is anyone's guess. By what I've read on several other boards here, usually the outstanding certification means you are "callable to" an opening/or possible processing/interview for opening. But who knows, it would seem strange if all those in the top 60 of the list were skipped over and not callable for open slots.

I think today marks 3 months since this list was established, after taking 16 months to GET established. At a certain point, I can see why many abandon the pursuit.

As to if anyone's been appointed, there were some on this board that mentioned they were quite high on the list, but I don't think anyone has confirmed a fill. Compound that now with the fact that the new certification list excludes the 1-60 ranks. 

Edited by Alucard

5 hours ago, spd said:

My number is 26*. I called DCAS today and I am no longer on outstanding certification.

That seems strange, all #s from 260-270 are on the latest 69446 certification on the data set. I would think #s 1-59, and 299-470 would not be on outstanding certification according to the new certification data set. Maybe it's on the certification, but too far from the starting point of #s being called, which would seemingly begin at 60. So even if they called 50 people in, it would only be from 60-110, that could explain it perhaps, or maybe not. 

On 1/24/2019 at 11:24 PM, Alucard said:

Odd things:

Did you take the piss test?  and did they gave you 21 pages of employment application?  Usually that is the first step and after you submitted all the required information about 2-3 months later MTA would call you in for the final processing where you get your start date.

On 2/16/2019 at 1:45 PM, Pathway said:

Did you take the piss test?  and did they gave you 21 pages of employment application?  Usually that is the first step and after you submitted all the required information about 2-3 months later MTA would call you in for the final processing where you get your start date.

Keep in mind that this is for a Management Analyst position and not necessarily a "safety-sensitive" position. Even the Notice of Examination for this particular exam mentions nothing about a DOT-regulated drug test, followed by a physical, nor a training program or anything to that nature. In addition, everyone who is on the list for this particular examination has a bachelor's degree or higher.

Therefore, the hiring process for this will probably be different compared to those "safety-sensitive" positions such as Bus Operator, Conductor, Dispatcher, Tower Operator, Track Worker, Train Operator, Train Service Supervisor, etc.

Edited by +Young+

12 hours ago, Pathway said:

As Young stated, the hiring process for this position is a bit different from others. There is no medical/physical/drug test. Upon getting your "conditional offer" letter to show up you will go through their "final processing" but it doesn't necessarily mean you will get appointed to the position. All the individuals that were on that first call in went through final processing. 

6 hours ago, Alucard said:

As Young stated, the hiring process for this position is a bit different from others. There is no medical/physical/drug test. Upon getting your "conditional offer" letter to show up you will go through their "final processing" but it doesn't necessarily mean you will get appointed to the position. All the individuals that were on that first call in went through final processing. 

So do the first people eventually get called in for final processing???

Also, question regarding benefits once appointed do you get a metrocard to use for travel to work?  Asking because I just accepted a provisional position (waiting for that list to be established  with a city agency, which pays only slightly more but the metrocard benefit would make it about even. Also could I transfer time to shorten the 1 year probation?

Any incite would be appreciated.

On 2/17/2019 at 9:25 AM, kidson said:

Also, question regarding benefits once appointed do you get a metrocard to use for travel to work?  Asking because I just accepted a provisional position (waiting for that list to be established  with a city agency, which pays only slightly more but the metrocard benefit would make it about even. Also could I transfer time to shorten the 1 year probation?

Any incite would be appreciated.

NYCT usually give employee id card during orientation which is also used as a MetroCard. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 9:25 AM, kidson said:

It appears hiring for this list/position is on ice. Someone at the Employment Office mentioned that this list was sent back to DCAS with no hires coming off it. Those who interviewed on that first batch called in were told that indeed there was a hiring freeze & it would require approval by TA for any opening of hiring/positions off this list to occur, and it seems that was turned down. So likely, due to the hiring freeze & the likelihood that these positions are not deemed critical for operations & the financial perils that are currently existing, this list might just not be going anywhere for quite a while. Which likely will be detrimental to some on the lower end of the list, as time for the list is eroding, and with no fills it's just purely eroding without moving.  Maybe later down they will extend the list time due to these issues, but for now I have to think there's not much to expect on this list in the near term. I would also think any other individuals called in will face the same "hiring freeze, need of approval to hire" issues that occurred with the first batch that went in. 

A quick look at the MTA employment site shows how depleted open positions are due to the freeze, normally there would be 100s of postings, now there are less than 40 or so.