Can someone request removal of bus stops? (Part II)

Nas

Hi all,

I've been extremely busy so I didn't circle back as quickly as I'd wanted to...

First, I thank you all for the responses... including the hostile hollier than thou ones that were just stupid and added nothing to the discussion...

Here I'll try to shed a light on my plight:

• Mods, I don't see the point of locking the thread simply because the person haven't come back yet... leave the discussion open.  Period.
  • Those who said I shouldn't have bought the house because I should have seen the bus stop... that's just idiotic simply because a bus stop wasn't a deal breaker for me... me noticing the weed bags wasn't when I saw the house for the first time but after the closing.
  • Those who think I should "stop complaining" are just as pathetic as those who likened my plight to those who complain about things they should have seen.. you see I make my neighborhood better... in many ways.... a house and a street and a sidewalk are just that.. it's people who make neighborhoods better or worse.   I stated simply there were 3 stops within extremely short distances of one another and asked for help fixing that... there are no hills where i'm at so you can look to your right and see a bus stop a short block away and look to your left and see another stop a short block away... all while standing on the bus stop in front of my house.
  • Thanks to all of you who provided feedback... it was greatly appreciated.  
  • And btw Nas didn't lose... he just needed one mic.  

nas1.jpg?fit=630%2C420&ssl=1

Hi all,

I've been extremely busy so I didn't circle back as quickly as I'd wanted to...

First, I thank you all for the responses... including the hostile hollier than thou ones that were just stupid and added nothing to the discussion...

Here I'll try to shed a light on my plight:

• Mods, I don't see the point of locking the thread simply because the person haven't come back yet... leave the discussion open.  Period.
  • Those who said I shouldn't have bought the house because I should have seen the bus stop... that's just idiotic simply because a bus stop wasn't a deal breaker for me... me noticing the weed bags wasn't when I saw the house for the first time but after the closing.
  • Those who think I should "stop complaining" are just as pathetic as those who likened my plight to those who complain about things they should have seen.. you see I make my neighborhood better... in many ways.... a house and a street and a sidewalk are just that.. it's people who make neighborhoods better or worse.   I stated simply there were 3 stops within extremely short distances of one another and asked for help fixing that... there are no hills where i'm at so you can look to your right and see a bus stop a short block away and look to your left and see another stop a short block away... all while standing on the bus stop in front of my house.
  • Thanks to all of you who provided feedback... it was greatly appreciated.  

Ok, so my question is you were given advice on the proper channels to take, so what are you going to do about it?  I don't see the point of discussing this further if you're not going to do anything but discuss it. You only have so many courses of action here.  Removing a bus stop is not a walk in the park, and you will likely need to get your neighbors and local representatives involved (i.e. an official petition) to show that removing that stop is more of a detriment to the area than a benefit.  The (MTA) and DOT would likely argue that by removing the stop, the people that work, commute to or live in the area would be inconvenienced, regardless of how close the stops are.  One would have to think that they're so close together for a reason (either someone or a group of people requested the stop, OR the DOT put it there to make the route more attractive for those that need the bus).  We don't know what area this is (you still haven't said, nor do I see what the big deal is of not mentioning it), so we don't know how far people have to walk to reach that main corridor, plus you say that the stop is used by school kids, so that right there is perhaps a reason.  There must be a school within walking distance of the stop, and in those cases, you will see more stops than usual as some are for school trippers.

Ok, so my question is you were given advice on the proper channels to take, so what are you going to do about it?  I don't see the point of discussing this further if you're not going to do anything but discuss it. You only have so many courses of action here.  Removing a bus stop is not a walk in the park, and you will likely need to get your neighbors and local representatives involved (i.e. an official petition) to show that removing that stop is more of a detriment to the area than a benefit.  The (MTA) and DOT would likely argue that by removing the stop, the people that work, commute to or live in the area would be inconvenienced, regardless of how close the stops are.  One would have to think that they're so close together for a reason (either someone or a group of people requested the stop, OR the DOT put it there to make the route more attractive for those that need the bus).  We don't know what area this is (you still haven't said, nor do I see what the big deal is of not mentioning it), so we don't know how far people have to walk to reach that main corridor, plus you say that the stop is used by school kids, so that right there is perhaps a reason.  There must be a school within walking distance of the stop, and in those cases, you will see more stops than usual as some are for school trippers.

I disagree about getting neighbors and elected officials involved at least not at first.

I also doubt that the MTA and DOT would automatically oppose it. The MTA would love to remove whatever bus stops they can because their prime objective is to speed the buses to save money which I thought you favored anyway. Also, you are assuming there is a good reason why there are theee stops close together. There might not be a good reason at all as I explained in my response in the previous thread.

To nas: I already explained what you need to do so what are you doing besides complaining?

I disagree about getting neighbors and elected officials involved at least not at first.

I also doubt that the MTA and DOT would automatically oppose it. The MTA would love to remove whatever bus stops they can because their prime objective is to speed the buses to save money which I thought you favored anyway. Also, you are assuming there is a good reason why there are theee stops close together. There might not be a good reason at all as I explained in my response in the previous thread.

To nas: I already explained what you need to do so what are you doing besides complaining?

Well since this guy refuses to provide more info all we can do is speculate, and if he isn't going to provide more info, I'm not going to bother with this.  Waste of everyone's time.

So yes.. I've taken a few steps to make it happen.   I contact my local politician's office and they in-turn contacted the MTA.   I also took the advice I got from here and contacted the DOT by submitting an online request...

Now I understand these things take time so I'm not exactly driving myself crazy over this...

With respect to the convenience aspect, I'm aware... I just think walking a few yards in either direction wouldn't hurt anyone... and I think most riders would appreciate one less stop given the very close proximity of each stop...  I've been living in NYC since childhood and I don't think I've ever seen bus stops so close to one another unless it's for different buses... this one here is just one bus.  

No brother I took your advice.. I'm not just complaining... I consider myself an active member of society and I do all I can to make the city I live a better place... heck when I lived in South Bronx a few years ago I can't tell you how many weird looks I got for saying "good morning" to strangers... a few weeks later, it was the norm :flex:  lol

All please understand I only stumbled on this message board after googling "request to remove bus stop MTA nyc"... I appreciate all the advice I got...

So yes.. I've taken a few steps to make it happen.   I contact my local politician's office and they in-turn contacted the MTA.   I also took the advice I got from here and contacted the DOT by submitting an online request...

Now I understand these things take time so I'm not exactly driving myself crazy over this...

With respect to the convenience aspect, I'm aware... I just think walking a few yards in either direction wouldn't hurt anyone... and I think most riders would appreciate one less stop given the very close proximity of each stop...  I've been living in NYC since childhood and I don't think I've ever seen bus stops so close to one another unless it's for different buses... this one here is just one bus.  

I don't know how the local politician would contact the (MTA) with no formal complaint to the (MTA), but ok. 

No brother I took your advice.. I'm not just complaining... I consider myself an active member of society and I do all I can to make the city I live a better place... heck when I lived in South Bronx a few years ago I can't tell you how many weird looks I got for saying "good morning" to strangers... a few weeks later, it was the norm :flex:  lol

All please understand I only stumbled on this message board after googling "request to remove bus stop MTA nyc"... I appreciate all the advice I got...

Just a fyi this is a  fan forum not a official nyc transit forum.

> Says it's not really his fault for not noticing something before closing the deal on the house

...ok. LOL at the fact that this needs its own thread though.

No one is looking for a fault.. I already stated the bus stop wasn't a deal breaker anyway.   But now that I'm there, I sure would like to make the neighborhood better. 

Here's the location... see for yourselves.   The school is on the other side of the stop to the east:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1998+Randall+Ave,+Bronx,+NY+10473/@40.8170055,-73.863938,18.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c2f4d84a01ff7d:0xc55f52d3c99150df!8m2!3d40.8182078!4d-73.8541793

You can zoom in and out to see all the bus stops...

No one is looking for a fault.. I already stated the bus stop wasn't a deal breaker anyway.   But now that I'm there, I sure would like to make the neighborhood better. 

Here's the location... see for yourselves.   The school is on the other side of the stop to the east:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1998+Randall+Ave,+Bronx,+NY+10473/@40.8170055,-73.863938,18.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c2f4d84a01ff7d:0xc55f52d3c99150df!8m2!3d40.8182078!4d-73.8541793

I've tutored in that area... Which bus line are you talking about? The Bx27 or the Bx36? When you click on the location, it brings me close to the Bx36, but initially it looks like it's by the Bx27?

Here's the location... see for yourselves. The school is on the other side of the stop to the east:

Well we welcome all people here, accidentally finding this place or not...i know I sure did stumble upon this site myself years ago lol

Ironically I brought that same thing about that stop to a friend of mines. We was out there on the bus and I asked why have a stop right there, then another one right down the street.

Small world...

I've studied the Bx27 closely and that line has three stops along Randall Avenue so it must be that line, and the bus is coming from Soundview Avenue coming along Randall towards Rosedale Avenue.  I've tutored further south near the Bx36 in a private home, and the stops tend to be closer in the area because you have so many buildings and single homes in the area in addition to schools, not to mention housing projects. I always walked in the area to the BxM8 by Bruckner to get back to Manhattan, but most people in the area would take the local bus.  In this case, you've got TWO schools not one right by Soundview Avenue where the bus turns onto Randall, plus places of worship, then the DMV on another block and a supermarket.  After that you come upon some sort of housing complex (looking like housing projects).  All that means it will be difficult IMO to get that stop removed.  I imagine the stop must be well used if you say that school kids get on there, so how far do you expect them to walk?

I've tutored in that area... Which bus line are you talking about? The Bx27 or the Bx36? When you click on the location, it brings me close to the Bx36, but initially it looks like it's by the Bx27?

It's the Bx27 for all of those stops.  

I've studied the Bx27 closely and that line has three stops along Randall Avenue so it must be that line, and the bus is coming from Soundview Avenue coming along Randall towards Rosedale Avenue.  I've tutored further south near the Bx36 in a private home, and the stops tend to be closer in the area because you have so many buildings and single homes in the area in addition to schools, not to mention housing projects. I always walked in the area to the BxM8 by Bruckner to get back to Manhattan, but most people in the area would take the local bus.  In this case, you've got TWO schools not one right by Soundview Avenue where the bus turns onto Randall, plus places of worship, then the DMV on another block and a supermarket.  After that you come upon some sort of housing complex (looking like housing projects).  All that means it will be difficult IMO to get that stop removed.  I imagine the stop must be well used if you say that school kids get on there, so how far do you expect them to walk?

I get all of that... the point is the 4 outher stops (2 in each direction) serve the purpose just fine... I don't think you need 3 stops in such a small strip... The stops in the middle have single family homes primarily and don't have much ridership compared to the outer stops which are near the schools and the apartment buildings... the projects have another stop after that on Rosedale Ave.

It's the Bx27 for all of those stops.

I just checked the bus map and it's the Bx36 for those stops not the Bx27. The three stops around the loop all appear to be about 400 feet apart which is not that close. Also, if the stop at Pugsley were eliminated, a few people would have to walk a quarter mile to the bus which still is within the standard. So I would say it comes down to how well utilized the bus stop is. I would retain it but it wouldn't really be horrible if it were removed unless it is heavily utilized. If it is only utilized during school hours, it could be made a part time bus stop. Another factor would be if additional parking is needed in the area. So with the information available, I cannot give you a definitive answer. But good luck.

I just checked the bus map and it's the Bx36 for those stops not the Bx27. The three stops around the loop all appear to be about 400 feet apart which is not that close. Also, if the stop at Pugsley were eliminated, a few people would have to walk a quarter mile to the bus which still is within the standard. So I would say it comes down to how well utilized the bus stop is. I would retain it but it wouldn't really be horrible if it were removed unless it is heavily utilized. If it is only utilized during school hours, it could be made a part time bus stop. Another factor would be if additional parking is needed in the area. So with the information available, I cannot give you a definitive answer. But good luck.

He's already confirmed that it's the Bx27 and not the Bx36. I thought the same thing too going off of the link he provided, because I tutored right in that area where those Bx36 stops are and all of them are well used from what I've seen since people are taking that bus to the train station in Parkchester.

No it's only the Bx27 bus at those stops... I walked to all of them and checked.

I can honestly say the stops in question are not heavily utilized whereas the ones to the west definitely are... as you can imagine if there are 3 stops in such a small strip, chances are the middle ones are the least utilized.  

No it's only the Bx27 bus at those stops... I walked to all of them and checked.

I can honestly say the stops in question are not heavily utilized whereas the ones to the west definitely are... as you can imagine if there are 3 stops in such a small strip, chances are the middle ones are the least utilized.

Now you got me confused. You insist it's the Bx27, yet the Google map and the bus map shows the stops in question at Pugsley as the Bx36.

You say you walked to them and checked, yet the signage does not mention the Bx27 and it stops nowhere near Pugsley unless some buses run off route at school arrival and dismissal to Pugsley, but that should be noted on a yellow bus stop marker and they would not be full time bus stops. So which is it?

Now you got me confused. You insist it's the Bx27, yet the Google map and the bus map shows the stops in question at Pugsley as the Bx36.

You say you walked to them and checked, yet the signage does not mention the Bx27 and it stops nowhere near Pugsley unless some buses run off route at school arrival and dismissal to Pugsley, but that should be noted on a yellow bus stop marker and they would not be full time bus stops. So which is it?

I'm thinking that he put up a random address in the vicinity to try to show where the bus stops were located to hide his location, and he failed miserably.  It is indeed the Bx27.  Just put in Soundview Avenue and Randall Avenue into Google search and look for the first Bx27 stop going towards Rosedale Avenue. You'll see all of the stops he is talking about. There's two schools and a library within walking distance of that first stop on Randall Avenue.  From what I've seen, I see no reason to remove any of the stops given what things are along or near Randall Avenue.  You have a DMV, a supermarket, two schools, a library, places of worship and so on.  Randall Avenue is like a main strip in that area, not to mention that there's a slight incline as you go from Soundview Avenue towards Rosedale Avenue.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sound+View+Ave+%26+Randall+Ave,+Bronx,+NY+10473/@40.817175,-73.8639047,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c2f4df64b7d8fd:0x46c2f548c6e5444b!8m2!3d40.817175!4d-73.861716

You can use this link above.  The first bus stop is near to where that "Mama Fifi" Grocery store is (same side of the street). lol 

It should be noted that there is a corresponding bus stop in each direction, so it's not like there are more bus stops one way versus the other, not to mention the slight incline, though Nas doesn't seem to think there's a hill there, but there is one.

I'm going to check again... I know for example the bust would stop at the first stop to the east... move exactly one short block and stop again.. and move exactly another short block and stop the 3rd time... same bus.   But I will check. 

Anyway... I went and checked again... and it's the Bx27 as evident by this map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sound+View+Ave+%26+Randall+Ave,+Bronx,+NY+10473/@40.8164379,-73.8640716,18.5z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c2f4df64b7d8fd:0x46c2f548c6e5444b!8m2!3d40.817175!4d-73.861716

I'm not sure why there seems to be a bit of hostility here but be as it maybe... Yesterday I received a courteous phone call from the DOT informing me they'd submitted my request to the MTA and that I should call them back at the number that showed up on my caller ID in a few weeks for a status update... I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised they even called let alone the level of professionalism demonstrated by the caller... we're used to our communication with anything government to go into a black hole. 

Now that you posted the correct Google link, I now can see what you are talking about. All the other bus stops nearby on the Bx 27 appear to be 600 to 700 feet apart. If these stops or one of them at St Lawrence and Randall were to be eliminated, the remaining stops would also be about 600 to 700 feet apart. So that would tend to support what who are saying that the bus stop is not necessary. So let's look at the positives and the negatives. The only negative I see is a few people would have to walk about 300 feet further to access the bus, but their total walking distance still would be reasonable, not more than a quarter of a mile. I think it would be a bigger problem for passengers if the northbound stop were removed because I assume most people are traveling north and walking the extra distance could result in them miss a bus.

As far as passengers on the bus saving time, that would only matter if the stop is heavily utilized and most buses don't usually skip the stop anyway. I think a bigger positive for the community in removing the bus stop would be the creation of additional parking spaces unless parking is never a problem. So it really could go either way as far as positives and negatives are concerned for the community as a whole. But given the problems you have been having as a homeowner, I would tend to agree with you that the bus stop (especially if you are talking about the southbound stop) should be removed.

Good luck. The fact that DOT called you is a very good sign and I doubt that the MTA will object.

Archived