•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -
    Video(s)

R68 Electronic Sign and Door Chime Test Train

• Please log in to reply
    10 replies to this topic

#1 Dj Hammers

Dj Hammers
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPip
    • 610 posts
    • LocationEarth

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:29 PM

A consist of R68s is testing several components from SEPSA, including a PA system with a new door chime and new electronic signage.

Enjoy, and please subscribe!

#2 BreeddekalbL

BreeddekalbL
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 2,568 posts
    • LocationOriginally Brooklyn NY, Now Ft.Myers

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:38 PM

what the deuce?!

Brian 

MCI'S FOR LIFE!

#3 danielhg121

danielhg121
    • PipPip
    • 638 posts
    • LocationNew york

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:19 AM

So does the (G) now have two consists with different electronic signage?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

#4 RailRunRob

RailRunRob
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,605 posts
    • LocationRiverdale/ Prospect Hts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:21 AM

What's the point of the tests? Is it some type of qualifier? Are there going to install some type of (axle rotation )doppler system? For stop information? 

%20http://scaped.net/r160-649.png

#5 Lance

Lance
    • Senior Moderator
    • 4,869 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

Also, is the MTA receiving some compensation or something for being a guinea pig of sorts with these modifications and tests?

On the subject of this test, meh. It's a little weird hearing NTT door chimes on a 68, but it's nothing major. Those electronic signs once again leave something to be desired and I'm not just talking about the lack of any useful information. Both these signs and the ones on the 68A set look quite dated for 2017. In fact, these ones in particular look like they were ripped out of the decommissioned 110As. I'm not expecting state of the art tech here, but one would think the group testing these devices and capabilities would use something that didn't look so '90s.

By the way, nice catch as always.

#6 agar io

agar io
    • Pip
    • 201 posts
    • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:56 PM

Nice catch. Looks like the LEDs are only orange here, unlike that other consist on the (G). Also, the "(G)" text seems to scroll across with the "BROOKLYN QUEENS CROSSTOWN LOCAL" text, unlike in all the other LED installations on NTTs. I like the chimes and date/time, though.

#7 RailRunRob

RailRunRob
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,605 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

Also, is the MTA receiving some compensation or something for being a guinea pig of sorts with these modifications and tests?

On the subject of this test, meh. It's a little weird hearing NTT door chimes on a 68, but it's nothing major. Those electronic signs once again leave something to be desired and I'm not just talking about the lack of any useful information. Both these signs and the ones on the 68A set look quite dated for 2017. In fact, these ones in particular look like they were ripped out of the decommissioned 110As. I'm not expecting state of the art tech here, but one would think the group testing these devices and capabilities would use something that didn't look so '90s.

By the way, nice catch as always.

. Indeed didn't even try to retro fit it into the aesthetics of the car. Sticks out like a sore thumb. Last time in London I caught some D stocks those cars were fully retrofitted and there older then NYC's R68s station information and everything. Nothing under your control great video nonetheless.

#8 ShadeJay

ShadeJay
    • PipPipPip
    • 4,424 posts
    • LocationThird Avenue, the only "Major Avenue" that continues from Manhattan into The Bronx

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:58 PM

The only upgrade I would like to see on R68s is automated announcements. Exerything else is either extra or additional.

FXaFnox.gif

Thanks to Lance for this wonderful designation that will never see daylight.

#9 RailRunRob

RailRunRob
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,605 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

The only upgrade I would like to see on R68s is automated announcements. Exerything else is either extra or additional.

Shouldn't be to crazy I wouldn't think they have most routes and announcements charted from the NTT database.

#10 Lance

Lance
    • Senior Moderator
    • 4,869 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:50 PM

Shouldn't be to crazy I wouldn't think they have most routes and announcements charted from the NTT database.

With the NTTs, the announcements are triggered through wheel rotations based on distance. That wouldn't be possible without retrofitting the hardware onto the older trains. However, they could hitch the announcement system into the GPS setup being installed on the B-Division trains. Of course, they'd still have to wire the hardware into the existing PA systems for the whole thing to work.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: video(s)