Step-up Tickets

Via Garibaldi 8

So I had a Grand Central to Harlem 125th street ticket that I hadn't used and thought I would use it tonight and pay the difference. My understanding was that iff I already purchased a ticket and just need a step-up ticket, it's only the difference between the zones. In this case, I had an off-peak $6.00 ticket, and getting to Spuyten Duyvil is $6.75, making the difference $1.00 when rounded up. 

I tell the ticket collector what I need, give him the ticket and $1.00 difference. He tells me I have to pay $7.00 for the difference. I was incensed. Why is MNRR charging a $6.25 "penalty" for a step-up ticket? I was under the impression that you can't buy step-up tickets anywhere else but on the train. The MVMs don't sell them to my knowledge, and I believe the ticket booth at Grand Central was closed, so how else would I get a step-up ticket? There's also nothing posted on the (MTA) website about this which makes it even worse. I refused to pay the penalty and got off and took the express bus home instead.

So I had a Grand Central to Harlem 125th street ticket that I hadn't used and thought I would use it tonight and pay the difference. My understanding was that iff I already purchased a ticket and just need a step-up ticket, it's only the difference between the zones. In this case, I had an off-peak $6.00 ticket, and getting to Spuyten Duyvil is $6.75, making the difference $1.00 when rounded up. 

I tell the ticket collector what I need, give him the ticket and $1.00 difference. He tells me I have to pay $7.00 for the difference. I was incensed. Why is MNRR charging a $6.25 "penalty" for a step-up ticket? I was under the impression that you can't buy step-up tickets anywhere else but on the train. The MVMs don't sell them to my knowledge, and I believe the ticket booth at Grand Central was closed, so how else would I get a step-up ticket? There's also nothing posted on the (MTA) website about this which makes it even worse. I refused to pay the penalty and got off and took the express bus home instead.

I took a look at the fares section in a Hudson Line timetable that I have. It doesn't have a specific section for step up fares, but mentions that "Train crews must charge the higher on board fare at all times. Train crews have no discretion to wave the rule.."

Now I haven't taken Metro-North in years, so wouldn't know if this is how they do things, but the only explanation I can think of is that they may charge you the difference between the ticket you have and the on board fare for the station you are going to.

(That just sounds really backwards compared to other systems like SEPTA where you can even combine two tickets to pay one fare eg, two Zone 2's ($4.75 each) to pay the NJ fare ($9))

It's not the onboard surcharge. MNR's rule is that no matter what you have, an extension of ride is the price of the one way station fare between where you're ticketed to and where you're actually going, rounded up to the nearest dollar.

LIRR just charges the difference when one way, round trip, or peak ten trip tickets are involved. MNR's rule applies when extending off peak ten trip tickets and weekly/monthly passes.

Step ups (ie: using off peak tickets on peak trains) and extension of rides (like in your case) are not subject to the on-board penalty, only a round-up to the nearest dollar.

Either the conductor was trying to pull a fast one on you ("Hey, rich boy from Riverdale, lemme go and get an extra $6 from this guy") or the guy was a legit idiot (IMO these new hires after the MNR originals from '83 all retired post-2013 don't seem to be good at all.)

Let us know what MNR says after you report the guy.

Step ups (ie: using off peak tickets on peak trains) and extension of rides (like in your case) are not subject to the on-board penalty, only a round-up to the nearest dollar.

Either the conductor was trying to pull a fast one on you ("Hey, rich boy from Riverdale, lemme go and get an extra $6 from this guy") or the guy was a legit idiot (IMO these new hires after the MNR originals from '83 all retired post-2013 don't seem to be good at all.)

Let us know what MNR says after you report the guy.

Well I rode in using Metro-North this morning and since I took an early train, I had more than enough time to inquire about my situation with Customer Service.  The lady I spoke with actually brought over a manager to hear my complaint and to confirm my suspicions.   After hearing my story, he agreed that I should've only been charged $1.00, not the $7.00 that the ticket collector was trying to charge.  He also stated that the step up ticket should've been purchased ON the train and NOT anywhere else as the ticket collector suggested.  What's shocking to me is I've had that guy before numerous times, both at night and on weekends and he doesn't look like he's that new, but sure acted like he was.  He had a hand held device and kept referring to that as if it knew that I already had the off-peak ticket.  All sorts of ridiculous in that. Not only did I lose the $6.00, but the next stop was Spuyten Duyvil (it was a semi-express train), so I had to get off at 125th and take the subway down to the BxM1 to get home and waste another $6.50, not to mention get arriving home much later than I should've.  I should've stayed on and protested to be honest, but I thought I had already made it clear to the guy what I was asking for and what the policy was, and that he was too dense to know what the actual rule was. In any event, the manager asked if I would be filing a complaint, gave me the link info (not that I needed it since I already know where to go), and said that someone higher up would definitely be reviewing it and speaking with that guy.  I always write very detailed complaints, especially when I'm inconvenienced like I was last night, so they'll definitely have all of the information they need to identify the guy.

This is what the problem is between departments.  There is zero communication.  Customer Service management is telling you what should have been done, the problem is that is not what we (conductors) are instructed to do.

The transaction in question is not a "step up", but a ride extension.  A "step up" is an off peak ticket used on a peak train.  A ride extension is traveling beyond the zone indicated on the ticket. 

In the circumstance of the ride extension, the cost is based on if you purchased a single ride ticket between the two zones rounded to the next whole dollar amount.  There is no "on board" penalty applied in this case.  It does not mean the difference is the face value of the presented ticket compared to the fare of the desired destination.

With that said, if you had a zone 1 to zone 1 ticket and you traveled to zone 2 (done properly), you would be charged a zone 1 to zone 2 ride extension which is $6.25, rounded to the next whole dollar amount which is $7.00.  Had you been charged the on board fare it would have been $13.00.

From a personal moral standpoint, this is asinine under this circumstance.  As you have essentially been charged close to double of a single ride ticket.  In these circumstances I would have not accepted your presented ticket but just charge you the ride extension of $7.00 as there is not such thing as a $1.00 ride extension.

From my personal experience, charging a ride extension is a rip off when handed a same zone ticket.  Hypothetically, if you presented a Yankee - E153 ticket to Spuyten Duyvil (zone 2 to zone 2) and wanted to travel to Yonkers, the same problem applies.  The value of the presented ticket is $3.00 and the ride extension is $3.00.  That is double the price of the $3 it would cost of buying a ticket at the station.  Again, if you were charged the extra $3 by the conductor it would not be improper.  Is this what I would have don't, not so much.

This is what the problem is between departments.  There is zero communication.  Customer Service management is telling you what should have been done, the problem is that is not what we (conductors) are instructed to do.

This problem is especially prevalent whenever there's a service disruption, but that's beside the point.

So for example... Fordham-So. Norwalk is normally $7, but Fordham to Stamford is $6, and Stamford-Sono is $2.75. If I show a Fordham-Stamford ticket and I want to go to South Norwalk, I'll get charged $2.75 on the train instead of $1?

Yikes..

The transaction in question is not a "step up", but a ride extension.  A "step up" is an off peak ticket used on a peak train.  A ride extension is traveling beyond the zone indicated on the ticket. 

In the circumstance of the ride extension, the cost is based on if you purchased a single ride ticket between the two zones rounded to the next whole dollar amount.  There is no "on board" penalty applied in this case.  It does not mean the difference is the face value of the presented ticket compared to the fare of the desired destination.

With that said, if you had a zone 1 to zone 1 ticket and you traveled to zone 2 (done properly), you would be charged a zone 1 to zone 2 ride extension which is $6.25, rounded to the next whole dollar amount which is $7.00.  Had you been charged the on board fare it would have been $13.00.

From a personal moral standpoint, this is asinine under this circumstance.  As you have essentially been charged close to double of a single ride ticket.  In these circumstances I would have not accepted your presented ticket but just charge you the ride extension of $7.00 as there is not such thing as a $1.00 ride extension.

From my personal experience, charging a ride extension is a rip off when handed a same zone ticket.  Hypothetically, if you presented a Yankee - E153 ticket to Spuyten Duyvil (zone 2 to zone 2) and wanted to travel to Yonkers, the same problem applies.  The value of the presented ticket is $3.00 and the ride extension is $3.00.  That is double the price of the $3 it would cost of buying a ticket at the station.  Again, if you were charged the extra $3 by the conductor it would not be improper.  Is this what I would have don't, not so much.

Yes, it is asinine, which is why I refused to pay the $7.00 and got off.  I also don't understand why you would be allowed to not accept the ticket?  Why should I have to pay $7.00 more for a new ticket when I have a perfectly good one that expires in June that I want to get rid of?  That's also asinine.  It seems to me that aside from some ticket collectors not being educated about the policy, the other issue is each person doing their own thing.  Totally absurd.  Had you done what you suggested, I would've protested again and insisted on paying the $1.00 difference.  

This is the second time this has occurred.  Another time I was on a peak train from Spuyten Duyvil to Grand Central. In this case, I actually had a peak ticket, but I had misplaced it and couldn't find it when the ticket collector came. I pulled out another ticket from my wallet by accident and gave that to him, and then couldn't find the other one.  In that case he too charged me the on board price because he deducted the difference from the other ticket and charged me the penalty, and in that instance I didn't protest because I wasn't familiar with the policy at the time (this happened before the latest fare hike) and I needed to get to the office.  If it happens again, I'm going to look for something in writing that shows what the policy is according to Metro-North because it's insane to keep getting ripped off like this, not to mention embarrassing. I had people looking at me as if I had done something wrong, when I was in the right. Totally unacceptable.

When I say "step up", I'm using the wrong but I'm really referring to the bump up in the price, but I used the correct term with him. I specifically asked for a ticket extension.  I also don't understand why he would tell me that I should get such a ticket extension in advance when Customer Service said it should be done ON the train, and why should it matter what the price is for the extension? If it's $1.00 then that's what it is.  The conductor should accept the payment and the ticket, not force the passenger to pay more.  

It seems to me that aside from some ticket collectors not being educated about the policy, the other issue is each person doing their own thing.  Totally absurd.  Had you done what you suggested, I would've protested again and insisted on paying the $1.00 difference. 

When I say "step up", I'm using the wrong but I'm really referring to the bump up in the price, but I used the correct term with him. I specifically asked for a ticket extension.  I also don't understand why he would tell me that I should get such a ticket extension in advance when Customer Service said it should be done ON the train, and why should it matter what the price is for the extension? If it's $1.00 then that's what it is.  The conductor should accept the payment and the ticket, not force the passenger to pay more.  

You are right, if all ticket collectors were educated about the policy (along with customer service managers) and not do their own thing, you would be charged $7 additional each and every time.

The extension is not $1 as you speculated (or were told incorrectly), next time get them to show you in writing and get a copy of this policy.  Again, an extension is not a difference in cost.  It's the cost of a station fare ticket from the zone printed on the presented ticket to the desired zone traveled rounded up to the next whole $ amount.

You are right, if all ticket collectors were educated about the policy (along with customer service managers) and not do their own thing, you would be charged $7 additional each and every time.

The extension is not $1 as you speculated (or were told incorrectly), next time get them to show you in writing and get a copy of this policy.  Again, an extension is not a difference in cost.  It's the cost of a station fare ticket from the zone printed on the presented ticket to the desired zone traveled rounded up to the next whole $ amount.

I don't understand this at all.  So are you telling me that I'm supposed to be charged the $6.00 for Grand Central to 125th street and THEN $6.75 (rounded up to the nearest dollar) from 125th street to Spuyten Duyvil?  That's the same damn thing as a penalty then, and I don't see the difference (I do, but it's absurd).  It's still $7.00 either way.  They're still treating that as if I got on the train and didn't have a ticket and they were charging me an "on board penalty" (or in this case I guess it just so happens that the price comes out the same).  Unbelievable.  This is the most asinine thing I've ever heard, and Metro-North should be ashamed of themselves for ripping off passengers like that, knowing damn well that an off-peak ticket from Grand Central to Spuyten Duyvil is just $6.75.

I don't understand this at all. So are you telling me that I'm supposed to be charged the $6.00 for Grand Central to 125th street and THEN $6.75 (rounded up to the nearest dollar) from 125th street to Spuyten Duyvil? That's the same damn thing as a penalty then, and I don't see the difference (I do, but it's absurd). It's still $7.00 either way. They're still treating that as if I got on the train and didn't have a ticket and they were charging me an "on board penalty" (or in this case I guess it just so happens that the price comes out the same). Unbelievable. This is the most asinine thing I've ever heard, and Metro-North should be ashamed of themselves for ripping off passengers like that, knowing damn well that an off-peak ticket from Grand Central to Spuyten Duyvil is just $6.75.

Traveling to/from Zone 1 is really expensive. Getting on in the Bronx could actually be about 50% cheaper, or more... So it's not surprising that it may be the same as the on board penalty.

From an LIRR related thread back in 2013:

The price of the step up for an off-peak one-way or round trip direct ticket is the difference between off-peak and peak fares, rounded up to the nearest dollar.

The price of the step up for an off peak ten trip is the difference between 10% of the off peak ten trip cost and the one way peak fare, rounded up to the nearest dollar. (because off peak ten trips are discounted)

The price of an extension of ride for a weekly or monthly ticket is the price of a one way (peak/off peak) ticket between the ticketed zone and the desired zone, rounded up to the nearest dollar.

The price of an extension of ride for a one way or round trip ticket is the difference between the desired ticket price and the one you have, rounded up to the nearest dollar.

I think if both transactions are involved, the rounding is done once at the end. (not 100% on this one) Also not sure on extending an off peak 10 trip.

Before 12/30/2010 there was no rounding and the total price of a stepped up off peak ticket would be the same as if you bought a peak ticket to begin with. Not anymore.

Amtrak7 is right except it's a 15% discount with the off peak ten trip over the cost of 15 one way off peaks. 

Stepping it up to the peak fare you lose the discount per ride.

The one way peak is $11.  One way off peak to peak step up is $3.  The step up for the 10 trip off peak should be $11 minus the $6.80 = $4.20 rounded up to the next dollar amount = $5.00

In essence you would be better buying a one way peak as there is an 80 cents savings.

Not to go off topic but if you try to refund the unused portion of an off peak ten trip you also lose the discount.  Example if you turn in a 10 trip with 8 rides used they deduct $8 for each ride used equaling $64 making the refund $4.  Add the processing fee ($10) you would get nothing back.

The way I read that: VG8 should've only been charged the $7 if he had presented a monthly between 125 and GCT, and be charged $1 with the one way ticket that he did have.

Then again, even that thread is confusing as hell.

Someone just find the written policy and post it here for us!  :angry:

I don't understand this at all.  So are you telling me that I'm supposed to be charged the $6.00 for Grand Central to 125th street and THEN $6.75 (rounded up to the nearest dollar) from 125th street to Spuyten Duyvil?  That's the same damn thing as a penalty then, and I don't see the difference (I do, but it's absurd).  It's still $7.00 either way.  They're still treating that as if I got on the train and didn't have a ticket and they were charging me an "on board penalty" (or in this case I guess it just so happens that the price comes out the same).  Unbelievable.  This is the most asinine thing I've ever heard, and Metro-North should be ashamed of themselves for ripping off passengers like that, knowing damn well that an off-peak ticket from Grand Central to Spuyten Duyvil is just $6.75.

I agreed with you before, and I agree with you now.  It's not up to passengers to dictate what is charged. 

I've approached immediate supervisors this very situation and this is what I was told.  Unfortunately there are no provisions for us to do what you were told as far as charging you one dollar.  A ride extension never logical when applied to a same zone ticket.  You are always better off buying a new ticket.

I agreed with you before, and I agree with you now.  It's not up to passengers to dictate what is charged. 

I've approached immediate supervisors this very situation and this is what I was told.  Unfortunately there are no provisions for us to do what you were told as far as charging you one dollar.  A ride extension never logical when applied to a same zone ticket.  You are always better off buying a new ticket.

Well you're right, but I was under the impression that this was the policy. That's precisely why I went to Customer Service BEFORE I filed a complaint this morning.  I didn't want to look like an idiot and complain about the guy not doing his job.  The real issue is there is NOTHING written anywhere about this policy on the (MTA) website (I've searched all around last night and found nothing), and all of the ticket rules should be posted somewhere, including the ones like being able to use your old monthly pass on the morning of the first workday of the month.  I doubt many people know about that one either.

The (MTA) is incredibly vague about all of these polices, and I don't understand what the secret is.  I even looked at this site for reference (this topic was discussed before about the LIRR) and even then it was confusing.  Your examples were more concrete than Amtrak's who just kept giving very general information.  Now I understand why you said you wouldn't take my ticket because it's the same price (actually more), PLUS I'm wasting a ticket on top of that.  In any event, customer service has not responded to my complaint via e-mail yet, but I'm sure they will, as MNRR is rather quick. I've also requested a refund of my $6.00 (likely won't get it, but it's worth a try and attached my receipt as proof).  That trip to 125th was a complete waste of time since I had to backtrack to the Upper East Side for the express bus home. I could've paid the $7.00, but it was really about principle.  I felt I was being ripped off and I let the guy know it too.

From an LIRR related thread back in 2013:

The way I read that: VG8 should've only been charged the $7 if he had presented a monthly between 125 and GCT, and be charged $1 with the one way ticket that he did have.

Then again, even that thread is confusing as hell.

Someone just find the written policy and post it here for us!   :angry:

No, based on what Truckie said, basically even though I had a Zone 1 ticket from Grand Central to 125th, I was STILL charged from Zone 1 (125th street) to Spuyten Duyvil, which is $6.75, rounded up to $7.00 to avoid the quarters, so I wasn't charged a penalty, but at the same time, it's still a ripoff because they're not charging you the difference in the price but rather charging you between the zones.  Had I known this set up, I could've easily bought an e-Tix on my phone for $6.75 and activated it then and saved the $6.00 ticket.

Traveling to/from Zone 1 is really expensive. Getting on in the Bronx could actually be about 50% cheaper, or more... So it's not surprising that it may be the same as the on board penalty.

Well truth be told I actually tried using that ticket on Tuesday.  I stayed at my girlfriend's place near the Upper East Side, hopped on the (4) train to 161st and walked over to Yankees-East 153rd street with the idea being that I wouldn't be paying any extension, since it's the intermediate fare of $3.00. The thing is no conductor came around to collect it, so I kept it.  Last night I wasn't up for doing that (left the city late), and since I thought I was only paying a dollar more, I got on at Grand Central with it (no point in buying another ticket for $6.75 if you can just pay a dollar more, right? lol)

There was a time (up untill 2010 if I remember correctly) tickets such as this could be brought to a ticket window and exchanged to a ticket of equal or greater valve and only pay the difference. This was before they revamped the policy. Now there are no exchanges allowed and refunds have $10 taken off the top.

On the LIRR side of things when in a similar situation, I do exactly what Truckie stated - Buy another ticket.

All you have to tell me is:

An (off peak) Jamaica-Atlantic Terminal 1-way ticket costs 7.50

Trying to apply mathematical logic, things clearly don't add up (Jamaica-Mineola off peak 1 way is 5.75 & a Mineola-Atlantic terminal is 8.75), and I don't bother wasting time figuring out why that is, or what should be the quote unquote right thing....

There are a couple times where I've misplaced my last mineola-atlantic terminal ticket (and have a spare Mineola-Jamaica ticket in my bag) coming home... I don't buy weekly's or monthlies because I don't take the RR going & coming 5 days a week... Some days, I drive in.... Anyway, instead of attempting to get on the connecting Brooklyn train right across the platform & eventually hand the c/r that Mineola-Jamaica ticket - to commence getting myself into a no-win situation (having to pay the difference of 7.50 b/w Jamaica & Atlantic terminal), I march right up that escalator, walk a few paces to the right (right where those 3 TVM's are) & purchase an Mineola-Atlantic terminal ticket.... I'd rather "lose" a buck 25, over paying another 7.50 to get from Jamaica to Brooklyn....

I have NEVER bought a Jamaica-Atlantic Terminal ticket (or Jamaica-ENY) & I'm not going to either.....

It's all a way of deterring intra-city usage on these commuter RR's, the way I see it....

On the LIRR side of things when in a similar situation, I do exactly what Truckie stated - Buy another ticket.

Trying to apply mathematical logic, things clearly don't add up (Jamaica-Mineola off peak 1 way is 5.75 & a Mineola-Atlantic terminal is 8.75), and I don't bother wasting time figuring out why that is, or what should be the quote unquote right thing....

There are a couple times where I've misplaced my last mineola-atlantic terminal ticket (and have a spare Mineola-Jamaica ticket in my bag) coming home... I don't buy weekly's or monthlies because I don't take the RR going & coming 5 days a week... Some days, I drive in.... Anyway, instead of attempting to get on the connecting Brooklyn train right across the platform & eventually hand the c/r that Mineola-Jamaica ticket - to commence getting myself into a no-win situation (having to pay the difference of 7.50 b/w Jamaica & Atlantic terminal), I march right up that escalator, walk a few paces to the right (right where those 3 TVM's are) & purchase an Mineola-Atlantic terminal ticket.... I'd rather "lose" a buck 25, over paying another 7.50 to get from Jamaica to Brooklyn....

I have NEVER bought a Jamaica-Atlantic Terminal ticket (or Jamaica-ENY) & I'm not going to either.....

It's all a way of deterring intra-city usage on these commuter RR's, the way I see it....

Oh I will do the same going forward, or simply get on in a cheaper zone, especially since I have the ticket app on my phone.  It's ironic that this is the first month that I didn't buy a monthly Metro-North pass. lol I just didn't expect such a thing to occur.  I'm going to wait and see what the response is from my complaint because Customer Service agreed with me in Grand Central this morning when I spoke with a manager and gave me an apology.  Since he promised me that someone higher up would be reviewing my complaint, then maybe the big wigs at Metro-North will realize how ridiculous and asinine this policy is and actually change it. I also posted on Twitter how utterly disgusted I was.  They should be shamed into doing the right thing by passengers, not price gauging, which this is clearly a case of.

So on that trip, do you get off at Jamaica and just take the subway/local bus home (and use that ticket for a future trip), or are you saying you buy a Mineola-Atlantic Terminal ticket at the beginning, and use the Mineola-Jamaica ticket for a future trip?

So on that trip, do you get off at Jamaica and just take the subway/local bus home (and use that ticket for a future trip), or are you saying you buy a Mineola-Atlantic Terminal ticket at the beginning, and use the Mineola-Jamaica ticket for a future trip?

Sometimes after work, I have to stop off at Jamaica (which is why I sometimes get Jamaica - Mineola tickets).... In those occasions, it depends how I feel.... What I used to do is walk up to the (F), or ride the Q56/Q24 to Alabama for the B12... The latter I don't bother with anymore, since now you have to cross Jamaica av instead of crossing at Fulton to catch the B12.... The former I haven't been doing as of late for several reasons.... In short, I'm essentially doing a stop-over with that....

To answer your question, I do both.... Just checked my wallet; I actually have 2 mineola-atlantic terminal tickets; one with zone 1 punched & one with zone 7 & 6 punched... You have instances where the c/r's never come around before you get off.... I also have Jamaica-Mineola tickets for whenever I take the B12 to the Q24 or the (J) in the morning...

...which is what I had to do this past wednesday I believe it was, where I got to LIRR ENY & the 5:24 Far Rockaway was being held.... I darted to broadway junction & just caught the 5:20 (J)... It's a good thing I did that, because apparently service was suspended out of atlantic terminal.... Having to kill time for the 6:12 Huntington, I stood on the platform to see if the 6:02 W. Hempstead train (from atlantic terminal) would pull in.... Never did... What the MTA did was have a train from the yard pull into Jamaica & do a trip to W. Hempstead.... I don't think I saw 5 people on the platform enter that train... Don't know how many people xferred from the 6:12 huntington onto said W. Hempstead train...

There was never an announcement that service was suspended out of Brooklyn.... The odd thing was, I looked over on track 2/3 & saw 2 Atlantic terminal bound trains....

To sum it up, if I didn't know the system, I would have been stuck at ENY.... I always look up a the board anyway, and when I saw 5:24 far rockaway HELD, I hoofed it over to B'way junction w/o hesitation... I don't mess around when I see that HELD shit.... I got stares from the "regulars" I normally see waiting along w/ me, but w/e.... I said to myself, y'all can stand here & wait it out if you want, I'm not taking that chance....

So that's where I used one of my Mineola-Jamaica tickets.

Well I rode in using Metro-North this morning and since I took an early train, I had more than enough time to inquire about my situation with Customer Service.  The lady I spoke with actually brought over a manager to hear my complaint and to confirm my suspicions.   After hearing my story, he agreed that I should've only been charged $1.00, not the $7.00 that the ticket collector was trying to charge.  He also stated that the step up ticket should've been purchased ON the train and NOT anywhere else as the ticket collector suggested.  What's shocking to me is I've had that guy before numerous times, both at night and on weekends and he doesn't look like he's that new, but sure acted like he was.  He had a hand held device and kept referring to that as if it knew that I already had the off-peak ticket.  All sorts of ridiculous in that. Not only did I lose the $6.00, but the next stop was Spuyten Duyvil (it was a semi-express train), so I had to get off at 125th and take the subway down to the BxM1 to get home and waste another $6.50, not to mention get arriving home much later than I should've.  I should've stayed on and protested to be honest, but I thought I had already made it clear to the guy what I was asking for and what the policy was, and that he was too dense to know what the actual rule was. In any event, the manager asked if I would be filing a complaint, gave me the link info (not that I needed it since I already know where to go), and said that someone higher up would definitely be reviewing it and speaking with that guy.  I always write very detailed complaints, especially when I'm inconvenienced like I was last night, so they'll definitely have all of the information they need to identify the guy.

Wait, you refused to pay the $7 and instead paid $6.50 for the bus, after taking the subway to get to the bus? Are you daft, man? :-)

Wait, you refused to pay the $7 and instead paid $6.50 for the bus, after taking the subway to get to the bus? Are you daft, man? :-)

I had already taken two rides on that $6.00 ticket, which meant I had extra money left over on my Metrocard, so I didn't spend any money for that $6.50 trip. The goal was to get home by not spending any extra money out of pocket (aside from the $1.00 I was going to add), and since I originally planned to take the express bus home anyway, I decided that was best. I instead used the money towards a peak ticket into Grand Central the next morning. It may seem stupid, but I had planned everything out in my head. Saving the money for the next day meant a quick trip to the office, meaning I could sleep in later and have a shorter walk, so I always take the express bus home at night because it works out better if it means me picking between the express bus and Metro-North. Despite the backtracking the ride was quicker than it would've been in the morning. I just wasn't aware of this stupid policy regarding the zones. Had I known, I would've just stuck with the express bus from the start.

Archived