Metro-North riders fed up with man who sprawls out on train

Via Garibaldi 8

How'd you like the shithole that is Huntington Station (where LIRR Huntington is located)....

West Hills is much nicer, but still doesn't warrant $20 each way to get to/from LIRR Huntington.... Don't blame you for not utilizing CSH (LIRR Cold Spring Harbor) either....

I can understand 24 bucks (or w/e it is now) b/w Mineola & Hicksville, but now I'm hearing it went up to 10 bucks (from 8) to get from Mineola to Roosevelt Field; at the exact instance a couple weeks ago when NICE cut some service on the n22 b/w those two destinations..... There's exploiting a market & then there's price gouging.....

As far as LIRR ticket prices, don't get me started with paying for a quality of service that's not being had..... You don't know how good you have it with Metro-North up there....

Actually I asked the organization giving the dinner. I figured who better to ask since they're Long Islanders. They could barely tell me. Apparently they drive everywhere out there if they work out there.

I dunno if it's true, but God the cabs out there are expensive, even by my standards. I think it cost me almost $40.00 to and from the Oheka Castle to reach the Huntington station (was reimbursed as a business expense). Wasn't a long ride either. Then there are the train tickets. That had to be over $20.00 for sure, so for a business dinner, it cost my boss over $60.00 for a few hours, not to mention the $400.00 spent for the dinner for me to go and schmooze. I even asked for pricing before going so that I could ask for monies up front to cover in case I didn't take enough cash (don't like charging stuff like that unless I have to to keep it separate), and when I actually needed the cab, it was a good $5.00 more than what I was told each way.

The way those cab cartels operate on the Island, I wouldn't be surprised if all of them were mob-affiliated. Uber is also pretty bad out there so there's not much choice.

Actually I asked the organization giving the dinner. I figured who better to ask since they're Long Islanders. They could barely tell me. Apparently they drive everywhere out there if they work out there.

The Island is a driving hellhole, which explains why all the young ones are leaving, because 45+ years of 'drive till you qualify' looks downright depressing to any bright teenager on the island...

The way those cab cartels operate on the Island, I wouldn't be surprised if all of them were mob-affiliated. Uber is also pretty bad out there so there's not much choice.

The Island is a driving hellhole, which explains why all the young ones are leaving, because 45+ years of 'drive till you qualify' looks downright depressing to any bright teenager on the island...

I thought they were going to build housing near stations?

----

On a side note, I think the LIRR has a similar problem with people hogging up seats and laying all over the place.

I thought they were going to build housing near stations?

----

On a side note, I think the LIRR has a similar problem with people hogging up seats and laying all over the place.

There are places where they're going to do it, but it's very limited, and you will still need a car to do basic things like grocery shopping, going to the gym, etc. Long Island has extremely poor walkability - every time I walk out there I'm afraid of some maniac driver going 40 above the speed limit and jumping the curb, if there is even a sidewalk in the area.

There are places where they're going to do it, but it's very limited, and you will still need a car to do basic things like grocery shopping, going to the gym, etc. Long Island has extremely poor walkability - every time I walk out there I'm afraid of some maniac driver going 40 above the speed limit and jumping the curb, if there is even a sidewalk in the area.

I've noticed this myself, but I have yet to walk anywhere out there. Always in a car or getting on or off the LIRR and into a car.

As far as LIRR ticket prices, don't get me started with paying for a quality of service that's not being had..... You don't know how good you have it with Metro-North up there....

LIRR only likes to serve riders going from LI to Penn Station during the AM peak and from Penn Station back to LI during the PM peak. Reverse peak service is almost non-existent in the morning and also very unreliable in the afternoon.

If they had their way they'd not only scrap reverse peak service (which they already do every afternoon now when there's problems near Penn), but they'd give up the Atlantic Terminal branch to NYCT or the Port Authority, abandon the West Hempstead branch, close the Belmont Park station entirely, and not run any trains east of Ronkonkoma.

Metro-North does their darndest to serve everybody, not just the typical 9-to-5 commuter from Westchester or Fairfield working in Midtown.

LIRR only likes to serve riders going from LI to Penn Station during the AM peak and from Penn Station back to LI during the PM peak. Reverse peak service is almost non-existent in the morning and also very unreliable in the afternoon.

If they had their way they'd not only scrap reverse peak service (which they already do every afternoon now when there's problems near Penn), but they'd give up the Atlantic Terminal branch to NYCT or the Port Authority, abandon the West Hempstead branch, close the Belmont Park station entirely, and not run any trains east of Ronkonkoma.

Metro-North does their darndest to serve everybody, not just the typical 9-to-5 commuter from Westchester or Fairfield working in Midtown.

With the exception to Port Washington, but that route seem more like a subway line for the LIRR.

Archived