MTA clerk refuses to help cops, gets arrested

alberchico

If you are just a passenger or not a passenger but definitely not an employee of the MTA, you will probably never know what really goes on underground, reported and unreported. The media rarely reports the story exactly how it happened (the truth) They have to dramatize it, make it more exciting or make it more terrible than it really is. I would have loved to see photos of the police who were involved also not just the clerk. Yes the story is a little odd and it makes the clerk like he committed some crime but I doubt he did anything wrong. Have a great night!

• 2 months later...

I have known this clerk for many many years, he is a wonderful person, cool, calm & professional. He does his job, he's great with customers, his coworkers and anyone else (including police, homeless) he encounters during the course of his day. If the police (who are from the street, not Transit Bureau SUBWAY police) asked for the gate to be opened I'm sure he opened it and then continued on serving the customers at this very busy station. (Only NYPD Transit Bureau police have employee passes to swipe at turnstiles, some (not all) also have a key to open service gates. (Street NYPD cops always show their actual badge to station agent to go into system usually when they are off duty). Those cops who claim the agent did not open gate for them could have (if a passenger was nearby) also asked someone near the gate to push it open for them or like many others have said if physically able, jump over the turnstile to pursue the shoplifter. Why would police waste time walking back to the booth unless they were not really interested in pursuing the shoplifter to begin with. This station which is actually called 59th St Columbus Circle and where this actual booth is physically located (there are 3 booths in total for that station) there are no MTA installed cameras, video surveillance in that particular area and so the claims from the police can not really be verified. I would not just go by anything this police lieutenant or his officers said about what happened. It's possible there could be a bit of racism involved here. The station agent should not have been arrested or suspended from his job. I hope he is able to return to work as soon as possible. *And for the poster that  mentioned that the agent left the booth, that is his job to leave the booth, he is a lunch relief which requires him to travel to different stations to man booths while station agents go on their lunch break.

All the more poignant now given what's happened since this was posted.

Archived