Phillips, Senate Republicans Introduce Bill To Withhold Millions In State Funding From Amtrak

Via Garibaldi 8

But MAYBE if NY and NJ come together and supply the money to fix the track instead of giving this political nonsense, things would get done instead of blaming every single agency that runs into Penn Station. They want a private agency because this way, NJT, LIRR, AND Amtrak could blame the "private" operator that now runs Penn. Our government sure are good at blaming other people but not take responsibility...

Well what should the LIRR and NJT do seeing that they've been paying Amtrak for the use of the tracks now for years? It's up to Amtrak to keep the station in a state of repair, not the LIRR or NJT.

Well what should the LIRR and NJT do seeing that they've been paying Amtrak for the use of the tracks now for years? It's up to Amtrak to keep the station in a state of repair, not the LIRR or NJT.

NJT haven't paid market rate until recently for their use of Penn Station. Amtrak was fixing Penn Station, it's just that the infrastructure broke down faster than their timeline which is to do the work weekends and late night

NJT haven't paid market rate until recently for their use of Penn Station. Amtrak was fixing Penn Station, it's just that the infrastructure broke down faster than their timeline which is to do the work weekends and late night

If NJT hasn't been paying market rate until recently, well that's not their fault. That's called them getting the best bang for the buck... Perfectly legal. Amtrak is the one running the show. NJT is simply a tenant. That's like someone blaming me as a tenant because my landlord hasn't been making repairs. If I'm paying him the rent and he's not making repairs accordingly well that's his fault, not mine. I'm meeting my contractual obligations and paying him (regardless of what the payments are), so the blame lies on Amtrak, not LIRR or NJT. They have NO control over the tracks nor their upkeep. That's all on Amtrak. We can discuss how Amtrak has been underfunded as a moral issue, but contractually, the LIRR and NJT have met their obligations.

If anything Cuomo could be looked to as the culprit. I believe Penn Station falls under his watch and he has a say in how much funds are allocated.

If NJT hasn't been paying market rate until recently, well that's not their fault. That's called them getting the best bang for the buck... Perfectly legal. Amtrak is the one running the show. NJT is simply a tenant. That's like someone blaming me as a tenant because my landlord hasn't been making repairs. If I'm paying him the rent and he's not making repairs accordingly well that's his fault, not mine. I'm meeting my contractual obligations and paying him (regardless of what the payments are), so the blame lies on Amtrak, not LIRR or NJT. They have NO control over the tracks nor their upkeep. That's all on Amtrak. We can discuss how Amtrak has been underfunded as a moral issue, but contractually, the LIRR and NJT have met their obligations.

If anything Cuomo could be looked to as the culprit. I believe Penn Station falls under his watch and he has a say in how much funds are allocated.

Now Amtrak was making repairs, it's just that it wasn't fast enough compared to the deterioration of the tracks. Some Penn Station Problem isn't even Amtraks fault, it's NJT's equpiment breaking down (due to their crappy maintenance). The thing I'm trying to say is, Amtrak being non NY or NJ centric, should retain control of Penn Station (and more support from Fed Govt in completing Gateway and track repair). Amtrak is the only entity at Penn Station able to coordinate between both the LIRR and the NJT. Otherwise you will have two agencies that respond back to different governors with different priorities. A private company will probably not do much better in fixing the tracks... nor care about running the max amount of trains during a disruption. Penn Station is a hard issue, right now it would be best just to let Amtrak run the show(they are repairing anyways)

That's not how NJT or LIRR passengers see it.

As for who should run Penn Station, yes Amtrak hasn't made the repairs like they should have, and that's a shame but like one poster said above, if control is given to a private operator, costs are gonna go up and eventually those cost burdens are gonna hit the customer in one way or another. The best thing right now is to make sure that a lot of pressure is put on Amtrak to keep their infrastructure in good shape, and make sure that there are people lobbying congress to fund them.  

That's not how NJT or LIRR passengers see it.

As for who should run Penn Station, yes Amtrak hasn't made the repairs like they should have, and that's a shame but like one poster said above, if control is given to a private operator, costs are gonna go up and eventually those cost burdens are gonna hit the customer in one way or another. The best thing right now is to make sure that a lot of pressure is put on Amtrak to keep their infrastructure in good shape, and make sure that there are people lobbying congress to fund them.

Of course not. The passengers just know that they're paying a fortune for service and not getting what they should be. It's up to the LIRR and NJ to rock the boat and get results, hence why withholding funds from Amtrak at least shows that they're trying to hold Amtrak accountable. That's the only thing they can do to address their customers' needs.

I also think a private operator could work if duties are split up. We already have parts of the subway system run privately, even if it's just entrances. It's being done and has been done efficiently.

As I said, if they're not getting enough funding, step aside and let someone else take over. No one is forcing them to run Penn Station.

Like the others said I doubt having the station run by a private company would ultimately be better. Considering how shady most contractors in the city already are. Next thing you know they ask the city for more funding for the same maintenance, bar an agency from using the station because they want higher rent, and and something stupid like introducing a toll on the bathroom as mean of generating extra revenue. 

I thought Penn is going to be replaced with that new Moynihan station (or whatever they are calling it now) across the street? Won't many of these issues be moot once that is completed?

Even if it is that isn't happening right away. Cuomo had the plans released, but it looks like he's asking for federal help to fund it, since it will cost billions to complete.

I thought Penn is going to be replaced with that new Moynihan station (or whatever they are calling it now) across the street? Won't many of these issues be moot once that is completed?

So, Moniyhan is mostly gonna be for Amtrak passengers headed for points 8 Av and west (which is to say, 80% of people are still going to be using the current concourse).

Moniyhan also does nothing for the platforms or tracks underneath, so all the current congestion issues we have today will still be an issue. And there's certainly no inclusion of maintenance or replacements of those parts in the budget.

So, Moniyhan is mostly gonna be for Amtrak passengers headed for points 8 Av and west (which is to say, 80% of people are still going to be using the current concourse).

Moniyhan also does nothing for the platforms or tracks underneath, so all the current congestion issues we have today will still be an issue. And there's certainly no inclusion of maintenance or replacements of those parts in the budget.

Well, that's disappointing. Still, better than nothing I guess.  

Even if it is that isn't happening right away. Cuomo had the plans released, but it looks like he's asking for federal help to fund it, since it will cost billions to complete.

True, but hopefully this and East Side Access will make at least a small dent in the multitude issues.

Archived