What is the protocol when a train overshoots the station?

As of 7:36PM on 5/22, a northbound (7), north motor 7356, has been stuck at 74th Street for at least 10 minutes. (My wife is on that train and has been calling me. The train is signed as <7> and the conductor has been manually announcing it as express despite making all local stops.)

It seems that the T/O overshot the station by about 15 feet, and now everything is halted. What is the official protocol? Can they simply continue to the next stop? Or do they have to keep the train there and investigate?

In the late 2000s, I was on an (N) train that overshot the platform at one of the Sea Beach stations. The train operator got out of his cab, physically guarded people from approaching the doors, and the conductor opened up the doors. The train overshot by 2 doors.

In the late 2000s, I was on an (N) train that overshot the platform at one of the Sea Beach stations. The train operator got out of his cab, physically guarded people from approaching the doors, and the conductor opened up the doors. The train overshot by 2 doors.

Something similar happened to me on the (Q) line at one of the Brighton Stations, newbie T/O overshot by one door, the veteran T/O training him stepped out of the cab to make sure nobody got off at the door that didn't platform. 

The weirdest one is where I was on a (Q) train that stopped at Kings Highway, doors never opened and the train continued to Ave U, the crew said something over the PA system about an Enabler.

Something similar happened to me on the (Q) line at one of the Brighton Stations, newbie T/O overshot by one door, the veteran T/O training him stepped out of the cab to make sure nobody got off at the door that didn't platform.

The weirdest one is where I was on a (Q) train that stopped at Kings Highway, doors never opened and the train continued to Ave U, the crew said something over the PA system about an Enabler.

Same here. Except a veteran T/O overshoot one of the Sea Beach stations by one full 60 foot R160 car. IIRC, he stepped out of the cab and had people in the first car move to the next car to get off the train lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Here's what's actually suppose to happen, the rail control center has to be called. They will instruct the crew to check if all the doors are platformed. If not, the rear half only is opened while the crew walks thru the front half opening one door per car to let people on and off.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Back in 2005, my 4 train overshot Woodlawn by 4 cars during the winter because the ice was messing with the brakes.

Does the operator have to write a G2 afterward?

If I'm not mistaken Woodlawn is an elevated terminal station that ends with bumper blocks and a staircase beyond that. I don't think we're thinking about the same thing. I don't remember hearing about four cars blowing past that type of obstruction.

If I'm not mistaken Woodlawn is an elevated terminal station that ends with bumper blocks and a staircase beyond that. I don't think we're thinking about the same thing. I don't remember hearing about four cars blowing past that type of obstruction.

He's probably thinking of Moshulu Parkway

Well if you overshoot Woodlawn by 4 you got more than a G2 to worry about lol

I've been on other systems where that happened, and they simply backed up. Is that not allowed in NYC?

I was on an MNRR train a couple years ago (was on a saturday) where the t/o overshot 4 stations straight from Woodlawn to Fleetwood... Backed up every single time....

(I) Don't recall ever being on a subway train that overshot a station though.....

I was on an MNRR train a couple years ago (was on a saturday) where the t/o overshot 4 stations straight from Woodlawn to Fleetwood... Backed up every single time....

(I) Don't recall ever being on a subway train that overshot a station though.....

Is that overshooting though? Pretty sure the guy just forgot to stop there.

EDIT: reading this a lot more closely now, you meant he overshot four stations in a row? That guy must've been called down from higher-ups for drug tests right? That's crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Here's what's actually suppose to happen, the rail control center has to be called. They will instruct the crew to check if all the doors are platformed. If not, the rear half only is opened while the crew walks thru the front half opening one door per car to let people on and off.

This happened to me on the <7> at GCT on February 28th. This is exactly what happened. 

I still never understood why MNRR trains always overshoot or undershoot, especially on Hudson. Do they even have a car marker to know where to stop, cause I haven't seen a single one, and I've been using Hudson for 8 years now.

One thing I've learned about RRs, train lengths vary. And the number of cars aren't always open. Not to mention some trains are longer that the platforms. Perhaps maybe when you saw as an overshoot is actually a proper stop?

When I ride the LIRR at times, my train leave far rock with 4 out of 6 or 6 out of 8 cars open. All trains only open the southern most 4 cars at inwood since it can only platform 4 cars. Thats 2-4 cars off the platform.

And they do have markers (not at all stops though). Remember, railroad operating is a whole different beast than subway operation.

Is that overshooting though? Pretty sure the guy just forgot to stop there.

EDIT: reading this a lot more closely now, you meant he overshot four stations in a row? That guy must've been called down from higher-ups for drug tests right? That's crazy.

IDK man, I can't fathom a North White Plains local train forgetting to stop at 4 stops....

But then again....

Anyway, I had wanted to ride out to White Plains that day, but I got fed up & got off at Tuckahoe & walked for the BL-40....

(at least the t/o didn't have any troubles stopping at Bronxville & Tuckahoe; the next 2 stops after Fleetwood)

When it happened at Woodlawn, I was like, well this is interesting (being an a RR train reversing).... When it happened at Wakefield, he actually backed up twice (proceeded normally towards the station, overshot, backed up, went forward for a few yards, and backed up again) - at this point, I was like WTF is going on here.... When it happened at Mt Vernon (west), I got PO'd to the point where I no longer wanted to stay the course on that train..... I don't know how much I lost (as in, the difference in ticket price from Tuckahoe to White Plains from GCT), but I bit the bullet & GTFO.....

Archived