What is the protocol when a train overshoots the station?

Why is it that they can't back up the train a couple of doors? The signals behind the train are red so there should be no collisions to worry about.

If your referring to the subway, its more than being as simple as backing up. Like I've said elsewhere, the MTA does not play when it comes to subway safety. If you overshoot a station, chances are you also passed the signal at the end of it. Also people LOVE to practically press up onto the train before the doors open to board. Buses have to have someone behind the bus to flag to back up. Can't really do the so simply on the subway. Doesnt matter if there's not a train behind it. There's too many safety factors to allow a train to just back up. Plus what if there's something wrong with the operator?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

I still never understood why MNRR trains always overshoot or undershoot, especially on Hudson. Do they even have a car marker to know where to stop, cause I haven't seen a single one, and I've been using Hudson for 8 years now.

Those trains aren't overshooting on the Hudson Line. Some stations have short platforms and if the car is longer then that means several cars won't open. It all depends on the car. Going to Grand Central the last two cars won't platform at Spuyten Duyvil, Marble Hill, University Heights and Morris Heights, which is great because I hate dealing with those stupid flashing lights. I get in a quiet car too so having those doors remain closed is even better.

I'm not talking about in Manhattan, Im talking about other stations like Ludlow, Riverdale, etc.

The Riverdale station is not a problem.  Unlike the other Riverdale station (Spuyten Duyvil) all of the platforms at the Riverdale/Wave Hill-254th Street station are more than long enough.  At Spuyten Duyvil, the southbound platform where the rail curves isn't long enough, but the northbound platform is.  The issue again is how many cars does the train have.  The cars that are closed to the riding public won't open, and depending on how long the train is they may have the first few cars not platform so as to make it easier for passengers to board.  When certain cars don't open, those passengers then have to walk all the way to where the cars are open which is time consuming and holds up the train.  The same occurs at stations like Fordham on the Harlem line. The first two cars may not platform.  It helps maintain a level of consistency too in terms of where the trains will platform, otherwise people wouldn't know where to stand.  

As for why certain cars are closed, this is supposedly to help the train crew collect tickets and check passes quicker. If a train has say six cars, but there's enough room to hold everyone comfortably without any overcrowding in just four cars, well they'll only use say the last four cars, as those last cars can physically platform at all stations.  I'm not a fan of the tactic though because some trains are quite crowded, and if you get in a car with obnoxious passengers, well you're pretty much stuck unless there are open seats in other cars.

At Grand Central you will notice that some trains on the Hudson Line only have say the last four cars open.  This is usually the case on weekends (i.e. late Sunday nights) for the semi express late trains going to Croton Harmon.  The front cars are closed to make it easier for ticket collection since those trains usually don't have large crowds on them, and those closed cars may not platform if they're running local at the stations with short platforms in the Bronx like University Heights, Morris Heights and Marble Hill, but will platform at Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale assuming they aren't really long.

IDK man, I can't fathom a North White Plains local train forgetting to stop at 4 stops....

But then again....

It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Most of the time on Metro-North it's a subway-style skip due to heavy ridership or lateness (skips due to lateness shouldn't even happen at all IMO, they're on a 30 minute headway most of the day) or even a mechanical problem, but once in a blue moon you do get a bonehead engineer that blows past certain stops.

If you overshoot due to weather or a mechanical issue I can understand, but if you're blowing stations on the subway just because you wanna go from 40mph to zero in record time, the T/O that does that is probably a special kind of stupid.

Back in 2005, my 4 train overshot Woodlawn by 4 cars during the winter because the ice was messing with the brakes.

Does the operator have to write a G2 afterward?

So it hit the Bumping Block then Huh?

Since WDL is a terminal .. If yer gonna exaggerate get it right please thanks...  :lol:

Yeah im messing with you.. ;)

It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Most of the time on Metro-North it's a subway-style skip due to heavy ridership or lateness (skips due to lateness shouldn't even happen at all IMO, they're on a 30 minute headway most of the day) or even a mechanical problem, but once in a blue moon you do get a bonehead engineer that blows past certain stops.

If you overshoot due to weather or a mechanical issue I can understand, but if you're blowing stations on the subway just because you wanna go from 40mph to zero in record time, the T/O that does that is probably a special kind of stupid.

If overshooting or blatantly blowing past 4 stations in a row unscheduled happens more often than that one time I experienced, then I've been giving MNRR too much credit....

Well.... I've had a few "Improper station stops" but only One station Over run.

If all door are abreast the station platform, your pretty much good, but one day i was on the (7) in the AM going North bound and i got blinded by the sun and misjudged the damn stop and i had half a panel door out... As much as i wanted to have my conductor open it, i just played it safe and reported it.. first thing you have to do is let RCC know, Then they tell you what to do from there. simple as that! then you face the B.S when you get to the terminal!

Shondrae is right. I have seen at least 5 times a railfanners take a photograph of a incoming train only to forget that their flash was on. Out of those 5 times, 3 train operators overshot by a door (One by half a car).

I have operated a subway car up in Sea Shore, trying to get the car to brake in order to stop where you want is hard.

What is the difference between a improper station stop and one station overrun? Also, what is the restriction (like how much underrun/overrun from the 10-car mark)?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Improper station stop is you didn't stop on the 10, 8, 6, Etc and you took the Conductor off the board BUT all doors are abreast the platform to open the doors safely. The conductor is suppose to report that, but you have some old school heads that are kool and will ask are you in the station, then will pop the doors and we out!

A station overrun is exactly what it is... a station over run! The train is out the station!

Shondrae is right. I have seen at least 5 times a railfanners take a photograph of a incoming train only to forget that their flash was on. Out of those 5 times, 3 train operators overshot by a door (One by half a car).

I have operated a subway car up in Sea Shore, trying to get the car to brake in order to stop where you want is hard.

Hard when you first start, but when you keep doing it, its not hard after all!

Archived