Getting equipment to the Flushing Line

Deucey

So I know there's a crossover between the BMT and IRT at QB Plaza; and one between New Lots and Canarsie at Junius St.

But in getting equipment on the Flushing Line - like swapping cars from the (6) to the (7), what route is taken, assuming the swapped cars were all stored at Pelham Yard?

So I know there's a crossover between the BMT and IRT at QB Plaza; and one between New Lots and Canarsie at Junius St.

But in getting equipment on the Flushing Line - like swapping cars from the (6) to the (7), what route is taken, assuming the swapped cars were all stored at Pelham Yard?

Westchester Yard its called. And it goes thru a few moves. They're basically moved to 207th st yard where from their they can be moved to the B division from the A division and moved to QBP where it hits the flushing from there.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

...and one between New Lots and Canarsie at Junius St.

The one you are referring to is not third-rail powered.

In addition to going through 207th Street Yard, they can also go through Concourse Yard as well, just like what the Lo-Vs did in 2010, respectively.

Westchester Yard its called. And it goes thru a few moves. They're basically moved to 207th st yard where from their they can be moved to the B division from the A division and moved to QBP where it hits the flushing from there.

They mainly go through the Concourse Yard. They don't usually transfer sets through 207th Street yard that much. 

So it goes like this?

From Westchester to 42nd St

42nd St line to Broadway

Up the IRT West Side to 207th, then down 8th Av following the (D) to 34th St;

Reverse to the 53rd St Line via (M) to Roosevelt Av,

Then reverse via the (R) to Lex/59th

Then reverse via (N) to QB plaza to switch to the (7) to the yard?

Totally forgot about concourse.

So it goes like this?

42nd St line to Broadway

Actually, Daniel just reminded me about Concourse yard. Thats where they switch it from the A to the B division first now.

As for the actual routing after that to QBP, I'm not all to sure anymore.

Totally forgot about concourse.

Actually, Daniel just reminded me about Concourse yard. Thats where they switch it from the A to the B division first now.

As for the actual routing after that to QBP, I'm not all to sure anymore.

As for the routing to QBP, it would go via the (D) Line to Atlantic Avenue, switch ends and goes via the (N) to Queensboro Plaza where they will be able to head to Corona.  

They mainly go through the Concourse Yard. They don't usually transfer sets through 207th Street yard that much. 

Unless they are swapping R62s from the (1) to the (7) or vice versa, then I can see them going through 207th Street.

So it goes like this?

42nd St line to Broadway

You have to keep in mind that the IRT lines (West Side & East Side) don't connect at 42nd Street, only in Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn.

The routing is as follows (if not the exact same, very similar to the TOMC for moving that on & off the (7) line):

Westchester Yard, going S/B to 125th Street

125th Street N/B, via the (4) to Kingsbridge Road to Concourse Yard

Concourse Yard S/B, via the (D) & Manhattan Bridge to Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn

Atlantic Avenue N/B, via the (N) and the other side of the Manhattan Bridge to Queensboro Plaza

@ Queensboro Plaza, diverge to Flushing line to Corona Yard

OR:

Westchester Yard, going S/B to 125th Street

125th Street N/B, via the (4) to Kingsbridge Road to Concourse Yard

Concourse Yard S/B, via the (D) to 34th Street/Herald Square

(M) line N/B @ 34th Street/Herald Square to Queens Plaza (remember the relay the Holiday Nostalgia Train uses??)

Queens Plaza S/B via the (R) to Lexington Avenue/59th Street

Lexington Avenue/59th Street, N/B via the (N) to Queensboro Plaza

@ Queensboro Plaza, diverge to Flushing line to Corona Yard

Just like when they run the Nostalgia Trains, you have to keep in mind the General Orders that are in place. This is why the LIRR C-60 Caboose couldn't take the Christie Street cut when they moved that from Linden Yard to 207th Street a while ago (click here for more information, especially towards the bottom of the page).

They should install a switch on the 42nd St shuttle from Track 1 to Track 3 (or Track 3 to Track 4 I can't remember which one already has a switch) to allow those moves to be easier. But then again there's that pedastriation walkway on Track 4 at TSQ, so that's not really feasible.

They should install a switch on the 42nd St shuttle from Track 1 to Track 3 (or Track 3 to Track 4 I can't remember which one already has a switch) to allow those moves to be easier. But then again there's that pedastriation walkway on Track 4 at TSQ, so that's not really feasible.

Track 1 and 3 are connected. You do realize that many columns that support the street and the buildings above are in the way. It is not feasible, and if it was it would cost a lot.

That "pedestrian walkway" over track 4 can be removed when needed. They take it out every time the shuttle on track 4 needs to get serviced.

Track 4 connects to the uptown (1) track north of 42 St. Track 3 connects to track 1 just outside of Grand Central. Track 1 connects to the downtown (6) track south of Grand Central.

Yea but even if the switch was to be built, they would have to remove it everytime if a move happens.

However, it would greatly help out in reroutes if something were to happen in Lower Manhattan on either Lex or 7th Avenue so trains now have another way to reach Brooklyn.

Yea but even if the switch was to be built, they would have to remove it everytime if a move happens.

However, it would greatly help out in reroutes if something were to happen in Lower Manhattan on either Lex or 7th Avenue so trains now have another way to reach Brooklyn.

But you'd have a crossover situation worse than that of the Myrtle Av and Jamaica Lines.

Northbound Lex trains would have to cross both Southbound tracks; Southbound Broadway trains both Northbound tracks. Both operations would delay operations both ways on the unaffected line.

Not exactly, in the event of a reroute, all shuttles would stop and stay at TSQ or GTC with the shuttle on Track 4 staying at GCT with the shuttle on Track 3, and the shuttle on Track 1 would remain at TSQ. Then the affected line can cross over then merge onto Lex or 7th Avenue.

Not exactly, in the event of a reroute, all shuttles would stop and stay at TSQ or GTC with the shuttle on Track 4 staying at GCT with the shuttle on Track 3, and the shuttle on Track 1 would remain at TSQ. Then the affected line can cross over then merge onto Lex or 7th Avenue.

He's talking about the 7th Avenue and Lexington Avenue lines; the shuttle connects only to the northbound local track of the 7th Avenue line, and only to the southbound local track of the Lexington Avenue line.

That's what I said, everything north of 42nd that still can switch over on 7th Avenue to the local track can do this, and 42nd on Lex can do it just fine.

But for both transitions, you'd have a single-track setup. On Broadway, all trains would have to use the northbound local track from the flying junction north of 96th St all the way to the 42nd street switch, and on Lex all trains would use the southbound track between the 42nd Street switch to Brooklyn Bridge.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/trackmap/pm_lower_manhattan.png

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/trackmap/pm_west.png

Archived