Cuomo Steps Into Transit Fray With Ideas for After ‘Summer of Hell’

GojiMet86

You just answered your own question...  <_< With other parties involved...

The Mayor recommends four members to the 17 person Board. One right now is vacant. That seems to be the extent of mayoral involvement.

The Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester County Executives each recommend one member.

Here is the board and who appointed who

The governor has had effective control over the MTA since 1968.

Here is a recent article from the NYT

I don't see the point of arguing something that can easily be researched.....

The Mayor recommends four members to the 17 person Board. One right now is vacant. That seems to be the extent of mayoral involvement.

The Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester County Executives each recommend one member.

Here is the board and who appointed who

The governor has had effective control over the MTA since 1968.

Here is a recent article from the NYT

I don't see the point of arguing something that can easily be researched.....

Well there you go, so it's not as if the mayor isn't involved at all, not to mention the billions of dollars that the city gives to the (MTA).  I rest my case.  

Well there you go, so it's not as if the mayor isn't involved at all, not to mention the billions of dollars that the city gives to the (MTA).  I rest my case.  

So since I buy a metrocard, I'm involved too?

The issue at hand is EXECUTIVE CONTROL. And this is the Governor, not the mayor. Before 1968, it was the mayor. After 1968, it became the governor.

I don't see why you are shifting the definitions of the word control--it's quite clear that it's executive control that's being discussed here.

It's been a while since I've gotten into it with you, but please, please read those articles and the MTA website for more illumination.

So since I buy a metrocard, I'm involved too?

The issue at hand is EXECUTIVE CONTROL. And this is the Governor, not the mayor. Before 1968, it was the mayor. After 1968, it became the governor.

I don't see why you are shifting the definitions of the word control--it's quite clear that it's executive control that's being discussed here.

It's been a while since I've gotten into it with you, but please, please read those articles and the MTA website for more illumination.

I'm not.  If you were really reading as you claimed you have been you would've known why he was mentioned.

Yeas, we need to find where the Money will cone from. thats always been the issue. It doesn't grow from nowhere. So why isn't Cuomo stating that these stations are costing too much taxpayer money? 

Actually it does as per the Federal Reserve System. To be quite frank, if he really wanted to, Cuomo could cry to Congress about the state of the MTA and put up a story of how if the system collapses, then the City followed by State will fall. And they can't allow that can they?

What will then occur is Congress will ask the (not) Federal Reserve for a "loan". I use quotes because it will really be never be paid back. The interest, however, will fall on the taxpayer via artificially created inflation when the amount of new notes equal to the amount requested by New York State are produced and are now in circulation, diluting the already falling value of the Dollar. The State will get the money (which we all know wouldn't ALL go to the MTA. I mean let's not kid ourselves) and we will foot the bill.

It's that easy. It happens all the time. The last big occurrence was the recession. How did the banks get bailed out?

Quantitative Easing.

There. A lesson on how our money works.

P.S: That's also how NYC got bailed out of the 1970s financial crisis which lead to the birth of the Capital Program.

While we can agree the MTA really cut corners by neglecting to put waterproofing measures in the station, South Ferry was always doomed in Hurricane Sandy. That station acted like a bathtub for all of the water and there was simply nowhere for that water to go with the new station as deep as it is. The major problem with South Ferry is the same one that affected most of the area, a lack of adequate water pumping measures for the immediate coastal areas. All of the waterproofing in the world won't do anything if you can't remove the water before it destroys everything.

And the new new South Ferry station will be okay during the next Sandy because...?

And of all channels in NYC, Republican backed Fox 5. How convenient is that. You know that if you're talking to these guys, Fox as a whole has supported the republican presidents since it came to be in the 1980s. Basically, they can change or edit the words that he says and make it look like he's not doing his job.

Transitwise, if both the R179s and the R211s come in at the same time, I got a feeling that 850 cars will go

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Archived