•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -

Penn Station Emergency Repair Work Mitigation Plan

• Please log in to reply
    32 replies to this topic

#1 Union Tpke

Union Tpke
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 5,344 posts
    • LocationNear a station in Central Queens where three (E) trains terminate late in the AM Rush Hour on weekdays (at 8:27, 9:02, 9:13 from WTC, arriving at my home station at 9:09, 9:44 and 9:56 respectively) and was the terminal for E and EE trains from its opening on December 31, 1936 to April 24, 1937. This station is also home to R160 or R46 layups during the evening and weekend hours.

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

lirr_train_438x220.png
    In the wake of Amtrak’s forced summer service cuts at Penn Station, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) and the Penn Station Task Force today released a comprehensive transportation plan that restores rush-hour commuter capacity to and from Manhattan and alleviates anticipated delays and disruptions for LIRR commuters.
    The plan, developed in conjunction with the Penn Station Task Force established by Governor Andrew M. Cuomo in May, addresses the near-term summer crisis at Penn Station and will minimize the long-term operating and management failures of Amtrak. It focuses on three key service objectives in the face of Amtrak service cuts: maintaining LIRR’s Penn Station passenger capacity, providing alternative transportation options and mitigating an anticipated increase in traffic. This action plan will be communicated through an aggressive public awareness campaign to ensure riders have the information they need to plan ahead.

Read more: Source

Edited by Lance, 13 June 2017 - 01:38 PM.

Long live R32s!

24730276396_396ec512d2_z.jpgFotor0201132117 by spicker613, on Flickr

#2 Union Tpke

Union Tpke
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 5,344 posts
    • LocationNear a station in Central Queens where three (E) trains terminate late in the AM Rush Hour on weekdays (at 8:27, 9:02, 9:13 from WTC, arriving at my home station at 9:09, 9:44 and 9:56 respectively) and was the terminal for E and EE trains from its opening on December 31, 1936 to April 24, 1937. This station is also home to R160 or R46 layups during the evening and weekend hours.

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:23 PM

More info: http://nymta.civicco...IRR-PennStation

Edited by Lance, 13 June 2017 - 01:40 PM.

Long live R32s!

24730276396_396ec512d2_z.jpgFotor0201132117 by spicker613, on Flickr

#3 bobtehpanda

bobtehpanda
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 5,358 posts
    • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:50 PM

I don't understand whatever started the trend of copying and pasting directly into the forum instead of just posting the link, but if you're not going to format it just the link would be preferable.

#4 Italianstallion

Italianstallion
    • Pip
    • 111 posts
    • LocationRiverdale

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

How is this possible? --

"As a result of reduced track capacity during Amtrak’s emergency repair and construction work this summer, LIRR was faced with having to cancel or divert up to 15 trains that normally arrive at Penn Station during the morning rush period between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m., affecting approximately 9,600 customers. After an extensive analysis, LIRR is providing seats for every potentially affected customer by adding three new trains into Penn, and adding approximately 36 cars to additional Penn-bound trains."

​How, faced with eliminating 15 trains, can they instead ADD 3 trains?

#5 danielhg121

danielhg121
    • PipPip
    • 805 posts
    • LocationNew york

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

It sounds so perfect but is leaking BS from every angle. MTA is just sweet-talking us I believe, we're doing so much but in reality all shit might break loose. This is prob to avoid refunding customers lol.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

#6 QM1to6Ave

QM1to6Ave
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 3,169 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:46 PM

Where are the buses coming from? Are these express buses being pulled from depots? Or are they contracting out to other bus companies?

#7 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 28,319 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY & New York, NY

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

It sounds so perfect but is leaking BS from every angle. MTA is just sweet-talking us I believe, we're doing so much but in reality all shit might break loose. This is prob to avoid refunding customers lol.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

That's exactly what it is.  They also made it clear that they don't plan on refunding customers at all. That Veronique Hakim lady is a character. She had the audacity to say that they put service over refunds.  They've been providing more cancellations than actual service! Talk about BS and insulting commuters.  I hope that lawyer and the other lady win in court and that other LIRR commuters join in the suit.  

Where are the buses coming from? Are these express buses being pulled from depots? Or are they contracting out to other bus companies?

I was wondering the same thing...

BxM2-WESTMIDTOWN_zps03c172c1.gif

NICOLE MALLIOTAKIS FOR MAYOR 2017 - MAKE NYC GREAT AGAIN

#8 Around the Horn

Around the Horn
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 6,461 posts
    • LocationAcross the Verrazano from Shaolin Land...

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:40 PM

That's exactly what it is.  They also made it clear that they don't plan on refunding customers at all. That Veronique Hakim lady is a character. She had the audacity to say that they put service over refunds.  They've been providing more cancellations than actual service! Talk about BS and insulting commuters.  I hope that lawyer and the other lady win in court and that other LIRR commuters join in the suit.  

I was wondering the same thing...

I doubt they'll win anything. LIRR doesn't guarantee anything but a ride and they "cannot assume responsibility for inconvenience, expense or damage resulting from errors in timetables, delayed trains, failure to make connections or for changes in or shortages of equipment"  so I don't know what they could possibly say the LIRR didn't do or did incorrectly.

"Most surely in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alteration of night and day, and the ships that run in the sea with that which profits men, and the changing of the winds and clouds made subservient between the heavens and the earth, there are signs for a people who understand"

"We can disagree and still love each other unless your disagreement is rooted in oppression and denial of my right to exist." James Baldwin

giphy.gif

"Mercury melted when the Sun rose,The storm struck when the heart sighed "I can't live without someone from the heart"-Dil Se

#9 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 28,319 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY & New York, NY

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:49 PM

I doubt they'll win anything. LIRR doesn't guarantee anything but a ride and they "cannot assume responsibility for inconvenience, expense or damage resulting from errors in timetables, delayed trains, failure to make connections or for changes in or shortages of equipment"  so I don't know what they could possibly say the LIRR didn't do or did incorrectly.

They stated very clearly why they were suing.  It's noted in the article, and if that's the case, then all of that BS the LIRR puts out to cover their @sses may not be enough. I hope it isn't because the culture at the LIRR needs to change.  When I compare my experience with MNRR to that of the LIRR it's like night and day. My fares are slightly cheaper, my trains are generally almost always punctual, and it's just a better commute overall.  Putting Penn Station aside for a second, there's no excuse as to why the LIRR should continue to operate the way that it does.  When Veronique Hakim makes a claim that the LIRR is putting service over refunds given how dysmal the LIRR has been now for the last several years, it's hard to take her seriously.  Hell I think she even wanted to laugh at that one, which is why she put her hand to her chest immediately afterwards.  Her body language just screamed BS.  

Oh and while we're talking about "service", there were more cancellations tonight during the heart of rush hour.  <_<

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8, 13 June 2017 - 05:55 PM.

BxM2-WESTMIDTOWN_zps03c172c1.gif

NICOLE MALLIOTAKIS FOR MAYOR 2017 - MAKE NYC GREAT AGAIN

#10 IAlam

IAlam
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,321 posts
    • LocationOnline

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:54 PM

How is this possible? --

"As a result of reduced track capacity during Amtrak’s emergency repair and construction work this summer, LIRR was faced with having to cancel or divert up to 15 trains that normally arrive at Penn Station during the morning rush period between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m., affecting approximately 9,600 customers. After an extensive analysis, LIRR is providing seats for every potentially affected customer by adding three new trains into Penn, and adding approximately 36 cars to additional Penn-bound trains."

​How, faced with eliminating 15 trains, can they instead ADD 3 trains?

I've noticed a super express train from Port Washington to Penn making no stops, most likely this used to be a deadhead trip.

Also if you don't have a pass and want to ride the bus what happens then? 

Edited by IAlam, 13 June 2017 - 05:55 PM.

If you Play CIM 2 download my map http://steamcommunit...s/?id=706618820