Transportation MTA to Ditch Pre-Recorded Messages in Favor of L

Union Tpke

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170619/union-square/subway-mta-train-delay-stall-f-train

The MTA is slated to do away with some prerecorded messages for routine communication, as well as during stalls and delays — an effort to better communicate with riders in the wake of a June 5 incident where straphangers were trapped in a stalled F train for nearly an hour without air conditioning, agency officials said Monday.

I heard this yesterday at the Parade of Trains.

Would be nice if they put messages on bustime mobile showing the next bus coming is short turning.

Had an issue with B44 SBS ruining my jaunt to W'burg then Bushwick and back because three in a row stopped at Flushing Av.

Long story short, I got drenched in the rain 2 hours later.

More info = slightly less pissed off passengers despite driver and dispatcher devotion to disregarding the passenger experience.

Would be nice if they put messages on bustime mobile showing the next bus coming is short turning.

Had an issue with B44 SBS ruining my jaunt to W'burg then Bushwick and back because three in a row stopped at Flushing Av.

More info = slightly less pissed off passengers despite driver and dispatcher devotion to disregarding the passenger experience.

The route map shows the destination signs for each bus if you click on the bus icon.

BusTime is not totally accurate as far as terminals go. I've seen plenty of Bx12 +SBS short-turns to PBP that either show up as locals (since the local signage is being used) or are shown as going to Bay Plaza. For scheduled short-turns those are likely to show but forget about unscheduled ones. 

No idea w

No idea why you folks use the mobile version. The only time I do that is if I can't get the desktop version up quick enough and my hands are full getting to the bus stop, otherwise, the desktop version is much better, as it updates automatically.  Given how big the cell phone screens are these days, the desktop layout is the way to go. I need to also look for another bus app that I would use that wasn't bad. It too was tied to BusTime though.

No idea w

No idea why you folks use the mobile version. The only time I do that is if I can't get the desktop version up quick enough and my hands are full getting to the bus stop, otherwise, the desktop version is much better, as it updates automatically.  Given how big the cell phone screens are these days, the desktop layout is the way to go. I need to also look for another bus app that I would use that wasn't bad. It too was tied to BusTime though.

Because no one is gonna whip out a MacBook while waiting for the bus.

No idea w

No idea why you folks use the mobile version. The only time I do that is if I can't get the desktop version up quick enough and my hands are full getting to the bus stop, otherwise, the desktop version is much better, as it updates automatically. Given how big the cell phone screens are these days, the desktop layout is the way to go. I need to also look for another bus app that I would use that wasn't bad. It too was tied to BusTime though.

I actually use the text system, except when waiting for SBS.

Dunno why that is.

BusTime is not totally accurate as far as terminals go. I've seen plenty of Bx12 +SBS short-turns to PBP that either show up as locals (since the local signage is being used) or are shown as going to Bay Plaza. For scheduled short-turns those are likely to show but forget about unscheduled ones. 

True that. Last week, I was waiting for a B16 at Coney Island Avenue for about 30 minutes. Everything is fine, and then the B16 appears with the sign saying "60 ST". I was infuriated to say the least, because the other bus was still quite a while behind (eventually, that bus caught up with the short-turn at 60 Street). 

I would not be surprised to see all of the R-46 subway cars (like the ones that failed on the (F) train a couple of weeks ago) taken out of service to be looked at even though it would create an even bigger car shortage than the one already in place due to the unexpected scrapping of the R-44 cars a few years ago and not keeping enough older cars (like the R-38s and R-40s) in place to all for that, especially given the incidents since this one that have led to the replacement of recorded with live announcements being done. 

I would not be surprised to see all of the R-46 subway cars (like the ones that failed on the (F) train a couple of weeks ago) taken out of service to be looked at even though it would create an even bigger car shortage than the one already in place due to the unexpected scrapping of the R-44 cars a few years ago and not keeping enough older cars (like the R-38s and R-40s) in place to all for that, especially given the incidents since this one that have led to the replacement of recorded with live announcements being done. 

That would be an all out disaster but frankly, I would not be surprised if that was the response to another high profile incident with the cars. Heck, just this Sunday one R46 (R) train with mechanical problems single handedly ruined service in South Brooklyn for three hours.

That would be an all out disaster but frankly, I would not be surprised if that was the response to another high profile incident with the cars. Heck, just this Sunday one R46 (R) train with mechanical problems single handedly ruined service in South Brooklyn for three hours.

That was the incident I was referring to and why I think we could see the R46s pulled.  

I remember reading somewhere recently that Transit is looking into any issues involving the 46s following the catastrophic failure of one set a few weeks ago. The problem is that it will take some time as these trains still need to make service. The 46s make up nearly a quarter of the B-Division's total fleet, which is the entirety of the (A) and (R) lines and 15 percent of the (F) line's fleet. With the reduced spare factor from Second Avenue and the ongoing delays in the delivery of the 179s, only a few train sets can be taken out of service at a time without hampering overall service.

In regards to retaining some of the older cars, hindsight is always 20/20. It was never intended to keep anything below the 44s once delivery of the 160s was completed. The early retirement of those cars changed those plans obviously, but by that point, most of the older cars had already been scrapped. If Transit had known about those issues with the 44s earlier, they probably would've kept more of the 32s as they were the most structurally sound of the older fleet. The rest of the cars were not in great shape and would not likely have lasted for another decade as we've demanded for the 32s. Besides, the 46s were a bulk order to replace several car fleets of the past, including some of the Arnines and the entirety of the 16s. Even if Transit had retained all of the 32s and the 40Ms, they would not be able to make service based on the numbers alone. That does not take into consideration the conditions of those cars.

Getting back to the point of this thread, I'm glad the MTA is finally pushing its train crews to get out from behind the canned delay announcements for more pertinent information. It's good to know that when the issue involves your train, the conductor or operator will, in theory, give you useful information on whether the train will be moving or if riders will be rescued from the stranded train as opposed to the usual "we'll be moving shortly, thank you for your patience" announcement. However, when the problem does not involve your train, more often than not, the pertinent information is held hostage by Command so the train crew only knows what's in front of them, which is usually a red signal or holding lights. Until RCC ends its so-called radio silence with the trains for service changes and disruptions, not much will change overall. Instead of hearing the standard Charlie "thank you for patience" spiel ad-nauseam, we'll have to contend with the live version with a dash of "red lights ahead". 

Thank you. Use your common sense, don't rely on electronic devices all the time. All you're doing is setting yourself up for "the fall"

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

What are you talking about? All I asked was why people don't use the desktop version of BusTime on their phones given how much bigger the screens are today. Not sure what you're ranting about.

No idea w

No idea why you folks use the mobile version. The only time I do that is if I can't get the desktop version up quick enough and my hands are full getting to the bus stop, otherwise, the desktop version is much better, as it updates automatically. Given how big the cell phone screens are these days, the desktop layout is the way to go. I need to also look for another bus app that I would use that wasn't bad. It too was tied to BusTime though.

Try Transit Tracker +

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Archived