Bus 3972 rolling backwards in Brooklyn...

Ty24

To me what's more alarming is that the bus in the middle of the street going backwards, so the question is how did she park the bus? Did she leave it in the middle of the street without putting on the break to ensure it didn't roll backwards? I'm guessing that's the case, since it looks like the bus rolls backward from its original position.  That right there seems quite reckless. 

lmao... I'm laughing because who in their right mind would get out of a 20 ton bus in the middle of the street to see if i'll roll backwards. That poor soul you know she cried her eyes out the whole time while watch that bus ghost ride the whip...

lmao... I'm laughing because who in their right mind would get out of a 20 ton bus in the middle of the street to see if i'll roll backwards. That poor soul you know she cried her eyes out the whole time while watch that bus ghost ride the whip...

I agree.  If she had actually parked the bus at the curb, perhaps the bus doesn't go almost two blocks before slamming into a bunch of parked cars and then the church.

That block isn't on a steep hill, but it's slightly inclined enough where anything will roll backwards eventually. The further it went, the more speed it picked up.

Physics my dear sir

I understand what you mean.....But my question is if she put the parking brake on...How the world the bus just starts to go backwards...Even if she on a hill??? I always thought once a parking brake engaged on any vehicle it goes nowhere....Regardless of a steep hill or an unusaul side street...

Some of her co-workers seem to be saying that Union Reps are lynching her.  How exactly do they expect them to get her out of this one when the incident is on video? Smh I mean come on now.  Either the bus is defective, or she made a mistake.  I'm guessing it doesn't take that long to figure out what happened.   <_< It was an accident, but one that could've killed someone.  (Apparently some guy got out of the way just in time).  Not slamming her at all.  Just the reality of things.  The (MTA) has to protect itself from such liabilities.  Already too many lawsuits as it is.

Pretty Much there aint shit the Union can Do! Shes a Probe! they are not protected! She's at the (MTA) Mercy! sad but thats how they roll... I know.. i been in a situation where the Union wasn't worth shit to me! She doesn't go to 2 Broadway, but 130 Livingston St.. tragic

Pretty Much there aint shit the Union can Do! Shes a Probe! they are not protected! She's at the (MTA) Mercy! sad but thats how they roll... I know.. i been in a situation where the Union wasn't worth shit to me! She doesn't go to 2 Broadway, but 130 Livingston St.. tragic

oh... let me reply to myself, not that i see the rest of the post.. yeah they got rid of her quick... shit is sad!

In my opinion, transit should extend the training period, 10 days is not enough to fully operate these buses. Way too much information crammed in a short period of time, Not making any excuses for the operator...

Despite the fact that she has been let go, I agree 100%...

Yea how fast did she get out of her driver's seat and hop off? She has to take off her seatbelt and she didn't feel the bus move back like"oh, s***, forgot to put the parking brake on.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The gear shift must be in N neutral. That gear shift must be confusing for the driver of that bus, because what I agreed that training must be extended, bottom line, driving a bus is NOT easy as routinely in a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there any reason why training is so short anyway?  Not only should it be extended because of safety issues, but these guys simply don't have enough time to get all of the routes down, and it leads to poor service.  Passengers deserve better and the (MTA) needs to step up and make serious changes to ensure that these drivers are fully trained when they hit the road.  I assume they're trying to cut back and save, but this is not an area that there should be cuts to.

In the MTA eyes like most other companies they feel if you have a license then you should have a general knowledge on how to operate a vehicle. Car, Suv, Van, Truck, Bus they all have parking brakes some are different then others but they all have it.

Now we all know people who can't drive to save they life but have a license. If you take notice she made it thru her training all the way up to graduation so you can't blame it on that. Especially when so many have failed. This unfortunately is all on the driver. She didn't use her basic skills aka general knowledge on how to operate a vehicle.

Is there any reason why training is so short anyway? Not only should it be extended because of safety issues, but these guys simply don't have enough time to get all of the routes down, and it leads to poor service. Passengers deserve better and the (MTA) needs to step up and make serious changes to ensure that these drivers are fully trained when they hit the road. I assume they're trying to cut back and save, but this is not an area that there should be cuts to.

Two things.

1. They needed folks as fast as possible to cover service.

2. Could be a cost cutting effort. And like any other business that does so, you go cheap, you get cheap.

Very few people can get through training rushed. People are different, in the sense that some can catch on faster and better than others.

Two things.

1. They needed folks as fast as possible to cover service.

2. Could be a cost cutting effort. And like any other business that does so, you go cheap, you get cheap.

Very few people can get through training rushed. People are different, in the sense that some can catch on faster and better than others.

I see training buses out in Manhattan almost weekly at times, so clearly they're hiring drivers like it's no tomorrow. I'm sure that a lot of them don't make it, but still.  The turnover rate must be high and it must cost a good penny to keep training people over and over.  I'm willing to bet that very little has changed over the years from what I've seen. Just at Yonkers alone, there is a steady flow of new drivers.  I'm sure some transfer out as I have seen some out of other depots too, but still.

I see training buses out in Manhattan almost weekly at times, so clearly they're hiring drivers like it's no tomorrow. I'm sure that a lot of them don't make it, but still. The turnover rate must be high and it must cost a good penny to keep training people over and over. I'm willing to bet that very little has changed over the years from what I've seen. Just at Yonkers alone, there is a steady flow of new drivers. I'm sure some transfer out as I have seen some out of other depots too, but still.

Could just be good business (to them that is) the quicker i train you the quicker i can put you out there to make me some money!!!

Could just be good business (to them that is) the quicker i train you the quicker i can put you out there to make me some money!!!

I just think they haven't overhauled their protocols in a while, and as a result it's another liability issue for them. Veronique Hakim was on TV talking about how they obviously need to make changes to how drivers are trained. The guy that was supposedly nicked by the bus that remained lying on the ground... I'd be shocked if he didn't sue claiming some sort of injury.  Then there's all of the cars smashed to oblivion and the damage done to the church, and the damage done to the bus which may or may not be salvaged.  

After that BxM18 incident where the guy lost consciousness on Madison a few years back while in service and passengers coming and steering the bus to safety, I'm wide awake when I feel any sort of short stop or anything.  I got lucky that night and took the next bus, otherwise I would've been in that mess.  Now I see videos defending the driver because she was only on the job for three days, but that begs of the question why she appeared to park in the middle of the street that late at night instead of at the curb, and how she parked the bus prior to that.  There's a guy that drives me nuts that does something similar. He makes every stop to pick up passengers in the middle of the damn street risking people being blindsided and run over by oncoming traffic, and he isn't new either.

Makes you wonder how some of these people pass the training doing some of the things that I see.

I just think they haven't overhauled their protocols in a while, and as a result it's another liability issue for them. Veronique Hakim was on TV talking about how they obviously need to make changes to how drivers are trained.......

Makes you wonder how some of these people pass the training doing some of the things that I see.

Tell me about it, especially from my horrible experience back in February of 2014 with Superintendent Nelson Hernandez out of the Flatbush Depot, who apparently discriminated against me and my other classmate who had no experience driving a bus, compared to my two other classmates who had experience driving a school bus and a coach bus...

Tell me about it, especially from my horrible experience back in February of 2014 with (former) Superintendent Nelson Hernandez out of the Flatbush Depot, who apparently discriminated against me and my other classmate who had no experience driving a bus, compared to my two other classmates who had experience driving a school bus and a coach bus...

So in other words, it's a buddy buddy system... That's the impression that I get. I can definitely see that too.

This bus looks like it was still on when it rolled back. A seasoned operator knows when getting out of a bus and it's not off make sure you kneel the bus and engage the rear door interlock as backups 1 and 2.

As a new mta b/o im conflicted i have had my cdl for over 8 years and the way some u guys bash this lady is just crazy. She made a error that was costly. Im sure in all u ppl career u ppl have made error some of u guys got caught some didnt. If ur a operator juss commin in then u kno mta doesnt hold ur hand and its alot of info commin at u. Sad that it happened but at least no serious injuries.

As a new mta b/o im conflicted i have had my cdl for over 8 years and the way some u guys bash this lady is just crazy. She made a error that was costly. Im sure in all u ppl career u ppl have made error some of u guys got caught some didnt. If ur a operator juss commin in then u kno mta doesnt hold ur hand and its alot of info commin at u. Sad that it happened but at least no serious injuries.

Really? How so?

Oh we're not bashing her for human error and making a mistake. That we all can understand. We're more concern with how careless it seems she was in the moment. It would seem the bus was double park. Because if it wasn't before it pick up speed it would've slowly rolled back into a park vehicle and stayed there. So you see where i'm going with this. It was carelessness on the drivers part.

I agree.  If she had actually parked the bus at the curb, perhaps the bus doesn't go almost two blocks before slamming into a bunch of parked cars and then the church.

Another good tool: turn the wheel in toward the curb, so that if there is a rollback, it won't go far. I hadn't even thought of the circumstance of how the bus was parked until you did.

Im not sayin it wasnt recklessness and careless im not foolish but im sayin there is many factors in this. Maybe she applied parking break put in neutral but never interlock and never kneeled the bus. And juss maybe parking break failed we dont know see what im saying ?

Im not sayin it wasnt recklessness and careless im not foolish but im sayin there is many factors in this. Maybe she applied parking break put in neutral but never interlock and never kneeled the bus. And juss maybe parking break failed we dont know see what im saying ?

If that's the case, she must have the worst luck ever for that to have happened to her

Parking break failed... Yeah right... If it did then she would still be employed... lol

Archived